All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

Ernie

I know me, Duck Sauce, SoNowThen and maybe Ghostboy are probably the only ones that really care about this criminally overrated, haunting, gorgeous, hilarious, poignant, downright heartbreaking movie but I didn't feel like PM'ing everyone and I don't know how many people are planning on renting it or anything so I decided to take up a whole thread for this beautiful, wonderful news...hope nobody beat me to it. It is coming out over the summer after all it looks like, my dreams have indeed come true. I didn't find any news on feautures or anything...maybe Mac can, I don't know....I don't even really care at this point, I'm just happy as can be that I know the release date and it's actually coming out over the summer.

This is according to Hollywood Bitchslap's dvd release schedule by the way...check it out if you haven't yet, it's the self proclaimed best on the net and I can't say I've found anything better yet.

Here's to hoping it doesn't get delayed and that it has a good commentary and some cool feautures like GW did! It doesn't say it's getting released by criterion but it does say columbia/tristar which isn't too bad...they can release a great dvd when they want to (ie. pdl). Remember, at least finally we know it's getting one!

SoNowThen

YES YES YES FUCK YES!!!! WHOOOO HOOO!!! YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news, ebs. I'm burning the hell out of my ATRG soundtrack, trying to recreate the movie mood to hold me over. Kick fucking ass!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenYES YES YES FUCK YES!!!! WHOOOO HOOO!!! YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news, ebs. I'm burning the hell out of my ATRG soundtrack, trying to recreate the movie mood to hold me over. Kick fucking ass!

Oh man, can you like PM me that "beautiful stars" song? Is there anyway you can do that? I lost my freaking copy of the cd and I love that song. I luckily already got the "streets are raining" song on my mp3 player before I lost the thing so the only one I absolutely NEED is "beautiful stars".

EDIT - nevermind actually...I think I can find it. I'm just all in my teenage girl mode now that I found out the release date and freaking out about it, I'll find it sooner or later. Don't worry about it.

SoNowThen

Fuck, gimme your address and I'll burn you a copy of the cd.

Like I said though, I dunno if it's just mine, but the song quality doesn't seem that high...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Duck Sauce

Gold Trumpet

I only mentioned it in one thread, but I am having major withdrawals to not being able to see this movie. I still haven't seen it. I keep on hoping it will go to the city only an hour away from me but it never does. The city did get Man Without a Past which I am happy to be seeing today but my dissapointment is that All the Real Girls, every week, continues to show up nowhere on my radar of location. This is the movie I want to see the most and am the most excited for and thing is, all you've guys seen it. Just imagine being in my position instead. It's really terrible. This is good news and makes August 19th an even more important day, but I really want to see it sooner than that.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Yeah, I can't believe it actually came to my city. Metro Cinema I love you!

That sucks, GT. Well, at least you don't have to wait that much longer...

godardian

I do plan to give this another shot when it comes to DVD...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Damn GT, that does suck horribly...I literally can't imagine waiting THAT long to see it. I'm surprised your anticipation has kept up that much. I mean, I was bitching when my town didn't yet have it in March with it coming out on valentine's day in nyc and all...guess I didn't have it half bad...ended up coming on April 18th after all...over spring break. This movie couldn't have turned out a better release...both theatrically and with the dvd (knock on wood).

MacGuffin

I'm blind buying this movie. Better be worth it, ebeaman, or you're paying me back.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffinI'm blind buying this movie. Better be worth it, ebeaman, or you're paying me back.

Really good choice man...it really is worth it. You should probably see George Washington first though if you haven't. And watch it at least twice before you decide what you think of it, do the same with Girls. Seriously, these are not breezy charmers...they are haunting and take some getting used to. You'll either love em to death or hate em...you know, you've heard all this before. Check them both out though. The only things you can really check out to get any idea at all of DGG's films are Malick and Altman's, and Michale Ritchie's films, he has definitley been influenced by all of them...I'm sure you've already seen all of them but just so you know. Check out Mccabe & Mrs Miller if you haven't to be specific...it's so fucking great, it's really underrated.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanAnd watch it at least twice before you decide what you think of it, do the same with Girls.

Did you?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ebeamanAnd watch it at least twice before you decide what you think of it, do the same with Girls.

Did you?

I'm saying if you think you hate it or dislike it the first time, you should definitely give it another chance a week or so later and let it sink in. I personally loved it the first time but I'm not going to lie to you...there were definitley some people that really didn't know what to make of it and were overwhelemed by it at first, mostly people that had not seen GW or any of Malick's films. Lol, actually...mostly people that had just payed for Maid in Manhattan a few weeks prior so I don't even know why I'm telling you. I'm just afraid you won't like it I guess, I'd feel guilty.

Have you seen GW or Malick or Altman or Michael Ritchie films? I forget if you've talked about any of them.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanHave you seen GW or Malick or Altman or Michael Ritchie films? I forget if you've talked about any of them.

I blind bought GW based on discussions on the old board. I can see the Malick and Altman influences, but please explain how the director of the "Fletch" movies and "Bad News Bears" is an influence.

Skeleton FilmWorks