The Crow remake

Started by MacGuffin, December 15, 2008, 01:09:24 AM

MacGuffin

Norrington flies with 'Crow' franchise
Filmmaker to write, direct reinvention of series
Source: Variety

"The Crow" will fly again.

Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of "The Crow," based on the comic created by James O'Barr.

Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film.

Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed screen transfer, in which rock musician Eric Draven is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance. Though the original became a gothic-style hit that grossed nearly $100 million worldwide, it is primarily remembered for a tragic accident in which star Brandon Lee was killed during filming.

For Norrington, "The Crow" deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with the Marvel Comics hero "Blade," Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a film since.

Norrington said he felt demoralized by that experience, and the accomplished sculptor spent the next five years writing and working on his art. He made a deal to direct "Clash of the Titans" for Warner Bros., but left the project, he said, because he was "unable to excite Warner Bros. with my take, or influence the screenplay to any comfortable extent." That pic goes into production early next year with Louis Leterrier at the helm.

Norrington resolved to focus on independent projects, and sparked to an approach on "The Crow" from Relativity production chief Tucker Tooley and Pressman. Norrington had a relationship with Pressman when they came close to making "Mutant Chronicles" several years ago. Both embraced Norrington's vision of the antihero, which Norrington said will be different than the film Proyas made.

"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington told Daily Variety.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

fuck, "reinvention" of the crow?  was the first one an invention?  I hate journalism.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Stephen Norrington's 'The Crow' Remake Is... Not A Remake?
Source: MTV

The announcement that "Blade" director Stephen Norrington was planning to helm a remake of 1994's "The Crow" met with a cold response from both fans and the director of the 1994 film. But how will those same detractors feel when they hear that the remake isn't a remake at all?

An undisclosed source tells Comics2Film that Norrington's upcoming installment in the "Crow" franchise will not be a remake, but an entirely new concept altogether. In other words, the iconic role of Eric Draven will not be revisited in the new movie.

"[It's] very different from the original," the source claims. "A whole new story about a whole new character."

If true, then newcomers to the "Crow" property need not view the original film, which showcased the final performance of actor Brandon Lee, who died tragically in an on-set accident.

In the Alex Proyas-directed movie, Lee played Eric Draven, a rock musician that is murdered alongside his fiancee, Shelly. One year later, Draven returns from the grave to enact vengeance upon his killers, thereby allowing his and Shelly's soul the eternal peace they deserve.

The film itself took significant departures from the comic book, penned and illustrated by James O'Barr. There was initially some speculation that Norrington's new vision would be more rooted in the graphic novel, though that might not be the case if this new information proves true.

Still, Norrington might have better luck if he stuck with the source material for "The Crow." The film produced subsequent sequels, and while all were of varying quality, the general consensus is that none of them lived up to the promise of the first film. Whether that's due to Lee's highly praised performance, the fresh nature of the original movie's story or something else entirely is unclear. Whatever the case may be, it'll be interesting to see how well this new "Crow" can fly.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Don't you know?  Hollywood doesn't DO remakes anymore!  Only of foreign films but that's different.

MacGuffin

Crow Script Is In, Producers Dig It
Source: ShockTilYouDrop

Relativity Media seems to really like Stephen Norrington's take on The Crow. According to Mania, the Blade helmer turned in his script and the film is going to be moving forward. Casting is up next.

The film is not so much a remake of the Brandon Lee picture, but a reboot featuring a new character. Norrington has already explained in past reports, "Whereas [Alex] Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style."

Not much more to update other than that...more Crow action is comin' at ya!

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: 'The Crow' Reboot Set In Southwest & Urban Locations, Offer Out To 'Major Actor'
Source: MTV

With director Stephen Norrington's reboot of "The Crow" reported to begin shooting soon, it's about time we heard some details from someone involved with the project, isn't it? Look no further, "Crow" fans — Edward Pressman, who produced the previous "Crow" installments, offered up plenty of new information on the developing film in an interview with MTV Movies Blog editor Adam Rosenberg.

According to Pressman, Norrington's screenplay is finished and, apparently, "terrific." After collaborating on some illustrations with "Avatar" production designer Rob Stromberg — illustrations that are "quite different from Alex Proyas' approach with the original 'Crow,'" Pressman said — Norrington's vision is inching much closer to reality, with casting announcements on the way and filming beginning this year.

"[We've got an offer out] to a major actor and things are moving ahead very aggressively, with the aim of doing the film this year," Pressman told MTV News.

Pressman revealed that the film's setting will diverge from the original vision of "The Crow," although it will still draw from the gritty city elements of the Brandon Lee-starring film.

"The setting is the southwest — the Mexico/Arizona area — and an urban [setting], Detroit or Pittsburgh or something like that," he described. "There are two locations that the film is set. Its initial platform is in the southwest and then it moves to the big city in the north, middle or eastern America, and then back."

That sandwich of settings is part of what distinguishes this "Crow" from previous visions, as is Norrington's treatment of the "Crow" mythology. "The Crow itself is a creature in this movie — it's not just a bird," said the producer. "It's got a personality and a character. Not like Godzilla exactly, but it's very different [and has] a more active role in the story."

If nothing else, Norrington's vision of "The Crow" is different from what fans are used to.

"Obviously it's a different time and a different idea, but I think Stephen is a very talented fellow and I'm very excited to work with him," said Pressman. "I think it's a very different conception [than the original film]. After the first 'Crow,' there were so many other films that were inspired by it, by its look. Steve is an artist himself, and he's created a very different visual idea."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Nick Cave Rewriting The Crow
by SuperHeroHype

TheWrap has learned from producer Ed Pressman that Australian musician Nick Cave has been brought on board to rewrite Stephen Norrington's script for The Crow reinvention.

Based on the comic created by James O'Barr, Norrington's screenplay was set in two locations: "the southwest -- the Mexico/Arizona area -- and an urban [setting] -- Detroit or Pittsburgh or something like that."

Cave made his screenwriting debut with John Hillcoat's 1988 prison drama Ghosts ... of the Civil Dead and wrote Hillcoat's The Proposition.

A 1994 adaptation, starring Brandon Lee, was directed by Alex Proyas.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Stephen Norrington Departs The Crow
Source: ComingSoon

The franchise reboot is currently without an announced director
Director Stephen Norrington is no longer attached to The Crow, reports Mania.com.

When approached for comment about casting rumors, Norrington told the site that he was off the project, following the demands of an unnamed actor to completely overhaul the script (which Norrington had drafted and which was rewritten by Nick Cave).

"As I had gotten involved explicitly as a writer-director my exit was inevitable," says Norrington, "I was bummed. I had developed a genuinely authentic take that respected the source material while moving beyond it, and Nick Cave came in and added more depth. I think the fans would have been pleasantly surprised."

The current status of the project is unknown but it will presumably move forward with a different creative vision.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 23, 2010, 04:11:25 PM
following the demands of an unnamed actor to completely overhaul the script

who's the actor?

how many actors get script approval and have been rumoured for this film?

until further notice, i am going to assume it was will smith.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: P on October 24, 2010, 01:54:44 AM
until further notice, i am going to assume it was willow smith.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Norrington is an epic hack, so this can only be good news.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Reports last week had Mark Wahlberg being offered lead role. If he's involved, I have zero confidence. I can't say much about the director of the League of Extraordinary Gentleman, but a Nick Cave script is more interesting.

polkablues

Yeah, Nick Cave's involvement is the only thing that actually leads me to have a glimmer of interest in the project.  Mark Wahlberg would be a terrible choice, Max Payne all over again.  The Crow (especially a Nick Cave version of the Crow) needs an actor with real darkness and weight to him.  Cillian Murphy, Christian Bale, someone like that.  Not Christian Bale himself, though.  Just someone more like Christian Bale than Mark Wahlberg.

MacGuffin

Bradley Cooper In Talks To Star In Relativity's 'The Crow'
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

Bradley Cooper is in early negotiations to play the lead role in Relativity Media and Edward R. Pressman's reinvention of The Crow, the 1994 adaptation of the James O'Barr comic book series that Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later) has been tapped to direct. Cooper would play the hero portrayed in the original film by Brandon Lee. The project is expected to begin production in the fall. Bradley next appears in Warner Bros' The Hangover Part II, which opens May 26.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues