Wonder Showzen

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, March 27, 2006, 02:52:14 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I haven't seen too many episodes of this, so I don't know if it can maintain its humor for an entire season, but it's coming out on DVD tomorrow, and I'm wondering if anyone else watches/watched this show.

It's basically a kid's show, (as the original title for the show implies) where they have puppets, old educational film snippets, cartoons, and the best part: children to say some horrible things.  Things like...

"What do you call a man with no arms or legs on your doorstep?"
"I dunno."
"Fair warning."

If it isn't too expensive, I'd probably pick it up and see the episodes I'm missing, but can anyone verify the humor in the rest of the season?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

I think I've seen 5 or 6 of the 8 episodes in season 1.  I thought the humor would wear thin after a while, but I think its pretty funny.  My favorite is Patience.

I might think otherwise if I saw more than one or two episodes at a time though.

You can probably get it for around $20 on Tuesday.  Or download the episodes to see if you like them.

hedwig

cover art:

Amazon price: $17.49

modage

matt and trey from south park interviewed the guys behind this in Interview this month and it made me want to check out the show.  plus i think EW or somebody put this/Stella as one of the best shows of 2005. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

killafilm

By far one of the most creative shows on television.

Show after show is something new and fresh.  Once I saw a puppet mother nature giving her-self a sex change I was hooked.  I will say it's not for everyone though.  I have friends who just can't keep up.  Most episodes move really fast, as in crack dusted with speed added to an 8 ball fast.  There's nothing quite like it.

Pubrick

i see it whenever it's on and i've never been disappointed. the kids answering questions is just good old fashioned classic comedy.

do not mistake this, as i once did, with the piece of shit it's often followed by, Stankervision. apart from Yucko the Clown that show was really bottom of the barrel tv, worse than Tacos and Burritos. that bad.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This is definitely awesome.  Sometimes the "Beat Kids" segments are kind of dumb, and sometimes "Clarence" annoys me, but those are my only complaints, really.  "Q&A" really is one of the most hilarious things ever.  "What's heaven like?" "I'll never no..."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

killafilm

"and then I wash my hands..."

cine

i really thought there was a thread about this. guess not.

i've seen all 8 episodes of season 1 and i also bought the dvd yesterday. definitely worth checking this out and loving it. some funny appearances by conan's jon glaser, amy sedaris and christopher meloni. david cross said he's doing some stuff for season 2.  :yabbse-thumbup:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback."

This show gets better with repeat viewings.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Walrus on March 30, 2006, 03:47:05 PM
"You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback."

This show gets better with repeat viewings.

Oh, man, I showed that episode to my girlfriend's sister's Vietnamese boyfriend forgetting that part was in it... DOUCHE CHILL!

cine

anyone see the season premiere this past friday? sooo good. clarence took the biggest beating of his life!

Ravi

I saw it today.  That was great.  SPOILER  Clarence getting his eyes pulled off was priceless.  END SPOILER

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The Patience episode is quite hilarious.  I haven't laughed so hard in a longtime.

"Stay in school or die?"

cine

is it me or is WS getting better with each passing episode?

this last one, Time, was probably better than Body/201. every show is getting smoother and more refined than the last.