Filmmakers who should make more films....

Started by j_scott_stroup04, January 12, 2004, 10:14:40 PM

j_scott_stroup04

Which modern day filmmakers would you like to see make more movies?

Roger Avary needs to make more films.  The guy is obviously talented, but...2 films in 8 years??!?!?  Yikes!  

Of course, Tarantino, common choice I'm sure.

Darren Aronofsky

Terry Gilliam

Terrance Malick, will be another common answer

Terry Zwigoff

Apparently if your first name is Terry and you're a director, you tend to procrastinate or something.

James Cameron

Woody Allen....(jk, I love the guy, but he makes a movie a year)

Which filmmaker from the past do you wish would've made more films?

The obvious answer to this question is Kubrick.  I wish he could've gotten his Napoleon film made, that would've been badass.

Sergio Leone

Orson Welles

Milos Forman

Then there are those who would rather make as few films as they possible could...

Michael Bay

Joel Schumacher

Paul Anderson

Chris Columbus

Garry Marshall

Roland Emmerich

Steve Miner

I could go on...but I don't want to.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

NEON MERCURY

tony kaye.... :wink:

..and that guy who did the cell...tarsem??  i think....

socketlevel

yeah but what catagory do you put tony kaye under neon?  make more, or make less?   :wink:   sometimes i actually wished he did make more flicks so i could hear more great stories about how they got made like with american history x. but wait...

that's a different thread, sorry, you know... before i get a redirect to my own post.  lol, settle down xixax.  it's just a joke.

i wish malik made more films, his che film looks cool.  it's just too bad for so long he didn't make any.  badlands is the shit.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

j_scott_stroup04

The only Malick film I'm even able to watch is Thin Red Line, which I have yet to finish.  Jeez, now I'm starting to FEEL like a newbie... :wink:
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

socketlevel

thin red line is great!  best antiwar film made.  if that's not your thing then check out badlands, it's a whole new thing.

-sl-

classical gas

I feel a lot of my favorite directors these days take too much time between films, but then, imagine how excruciating it must have been to wait on the new Kubrick film back then...or even in 99 after a twelve year hiatus
there's just too much bullshit artists have to go through these days to get their work seen or heard or watched.  the same goes with musicians and novels, etc...it's probably been like that throughout history though, but it seems really ridiculous nowadays
and to add a little more than quibbles to this thread...where the hell is kimberly peirce?  that's the one that pops into my head.  i would say david o. russell, but i think that i heart huckabee's is due soon...

I preffer quality to quantity so instead, I'd say I'm interested in watching what new 'mavericks' are doing next. By this I mean that am interested in seeing what will City of God's director Fernando Mereilles will do next, or Sam Mendes,  per se.
context, context, context.

Just Withnail

I can't believe no one mentioned Coppola, he's the God of non-working directors still breathing. Megalopolis better get its ass out of production and into the theaters.

Of course PTA, and...um, Woody Allen?

socketlevel

yeah i'm waiting for his film too, but the films he has made in the last decade are in question.  it seems he just lost the passion.

-sl-

MacGuffin

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04Chris Columbus

Chris Columbus & WB are Raising the Dead
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

"Harry Potter" director Chris Columbus and Warner Bros. have acquired the film rights to The Brief History of the Dead, novelist Kevin Brockmeier's unfinished supernatural love story.

It's the story of a blind man who arrives in a new city, telling a story of having traveled across a desert after his death. The other city-dwellers have their own elaborate and remarkable tales of crossing into this strange world, from which inhabitants depart as mysteriously as they entered.

The studio, together with Columbus' 1492 Pictures banner, bought the project based on Brockmeier's first chapter, which was published by the New Yorker this month. Brockmeier is still working on the novel and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer David Auburn is on board to adapt.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Quote from: socketlevelyeah i'm waiting for his film too, but the films he has made in the last decade are in question.  it seems he just lost the passion.

-sl-

Well, yeah. But he's had a lot of years to consider how insanely bad Jack and Supernova are. Haven't seen The Rainmaker, though. Is it any good? Can't imagine it holding up to anything his former self would've made. I did think his Dracula vision was fascinating.