KEVIN SMITH

Started by cowboykurtis, April 04, 2003, 09:56:02 PM

cowboykurtis

can any kevin smith fans explain to me what you like about his films. he seems like he should be making sitcoms instead of features. i think hes a better writer than a director, however i am still pretty unimpressed all around. chasing amy is the only film of his worth talking about in my opinion. im not denying that he has talent, however his work doesn't merit the name he has for himself. i guess im saying hes overrated.
...your excuses are your own...

cine

I enjoy his work overall, but I feel he is overrated. I know a lot of people that sing his praise but I don't see the point. People that say "Dogma" is there favourite movie... what? Watch a Bergman film for Gods sake (literally, I guess). I think what I enjoy is that he has established his own cult.. and they all love to sit down and live through these fun characters in this 'View Askewniverse'... again, I enjoy it.. but Kevin Smith isn't the best thing since sliced bread.

Kev Hoffman

I am a Kevin Smith fan.  I truly enjoyed DOGMA and CLERKS, and loved CHASING AMY.  Though I'm not much of a fan of JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK and MALLRATS, they both fit nicely into Smith's world.  He's a great writer and especially showed it in CHASING AMY.  It's his opus.

I really enjoy the swift dialogue, with such add-ons as pop-culture references, adult/childish humor, and sometimes just his downright cleverness.  I know many people that don't like Smith, and many whom do.  I guess, as said by SHAFTR in an earlier discussion, Smith is just an acquired taste.  I would agree that it took me some time to really enjoy Chasing Amy, and now I love it.  Sure, his movies aren't much to look at, but, to me, you can't beat his dialogue in a fair amount of cases.

I expect nothing but great things out of JERSEY GIRL, with its new direction for him.  Both visually and writing are 'said' improvements.

Sigur Rós

I just love it when Kevin Smith shuts up like Silent Bob.......no, that was a cheap joke! I like Kevin Smith... :shock:

Ernie

I love the guy for the most part. I fucking love Clerks and J&SBSB and Dogma. They always make me laugh, anytime. Chasing Amy and Mallrats suck though...they are two of the most annoying movies ever imo. I can forgive him, don't get me wrong...but they are really horrible. Besides, doesn't he like to pretend Mallrats never happened himself? Everybody makes some mistakes. Kinda like he did when he dissed PTA and David Gordon Green...that wasn't even cool.

But back to positives: I also love his new dvd...an Evening w/ Kevin Smith, that is hilarious! Clerks The Animated Series is great too...just bought that a few days ago.

I agree that he's not the best director in the world...but I think he's far from a bad director. He just doesn't have a lot of style, there's nothing wrong with that. His movies are coherent.

One more thing...he is the king of commentaries.

MacGuffin

Kevin Smith to Write & Direct The Green Hornet
Source: Variety

Kevin Smith (Jersey Girl) will write and direct The Green Hornet for Miramax Films, reports Variety. Smith expects to have a script ready in time to begin shooting scenes of the masked Hornet and his kung-fu-fighting chauffeur, Kato, by late summer. The film will be based on the venerable character created by Fran Striker and George Trendle for a radio serial that launched in 1936.

"I dig the fact that he kicked off a run of billionaire playboys who decided to put on a mask and fight crime, and that he was Batman before there was a Batman," said Smith.

While he never thought he would make a superhero film, Smith made an exception for The Green Hornet, for several reasons. Among them is the fact that the character has high name recognition but isn't shackled by the storyline, says the trade. Most people remember the title character and Kato, but cannot name their adversaries or even recall the tricked-out car they drove. For Smith, that leaves plenty of room for imagination.

"I always said I'd never do one, based on my limited experience writing on 'Superman' and having to answer to the studio, the producer, the comics company and eventually a director," Smith said. "Then there's a fandom that gets up in arms if you even try to stray from their character. Here, there is simplicity in the character and the situation.

"Equally important, the only person I have to answer to is Harvey [Weinstein], with whom I've made four movies. This is the only circumstance that led me to take on a comicbook movie, and something so big."

Smith hasn't gotten to the casting stage yet, but said he was intrigued by both actors who were linked to the film while it was at Universal. George Clooney had a pay-or-play deal for the title character before Steven Spielberg extricated him to star in DreamWorks' first drama, The Peacemaker. Jet Li once was linked to the role of Kato.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Direct and write? ugh, can't he just write it instead?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Quote from: StefenDirect and write? ugh, can't he just write it instead?
Reasons for this? He's directed EVERYTHING he's written. Come on, people...

Stefen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: StefenDirect and write? ugh, can't he just write it instead?
Reasons for this? He's directed EVERYTHING he's written. Come on, people...

Reasons? Have you ever seen a Kevin Smith movie?! Granted, they are very fun and entertaining but every one of them has the "embarassment problem" Ya know when your watching a movie and something dramatic happens and the audience is supposed to react, but instead the scene comes across as completely cheezy and you feel embarassed sitting in a theater with people watching it? I like Kevin Smith, I own all his movies, but I just think he would be better suited letting other more "talented" directors make his movies. I'm not 15 years old anymore. I see the flaws in his filmmaking.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Good lord. Look, if you own all of his movies then you MUST know that he's a talented director. If you see the flaws, then there mustn't be that many that you like them enough to buy. I don't own any of them. I just know he's skilled at everything he does, and that includes directing.

Stefen

Quote from: CinephileGood lord. Look, if you own all of his movies then you MUST know that he's a talented director. If you see the flaws, then there mustn't be that many that you like them enough to buy. I don't own any of them. I just know he's skilled at everything he does, and that includes directing.

Thats fine that you consider him a skilled director. I myself do not. I think he is a horrible director, but a brilliant writer and wish he would stick to writing and stay away from directing. Opinions differ, and i'm glad you have your own, since most people don't.

cine

I look at it this way: Why would you trust somebody else in handling his own 'brilliant writing'?

Stefen

Quote from: CinephileI look at it this way: Why would you trust somebody else in handling his own 'brilliant writing'?

Because it would be alot better than watching his horrible directing.

cine

I wouldn't be so sure since it's his own material. But in any event, at the end of the day... I think he can direct. You don't think so.

Stefen

Quote from: CinephileI wouldn't be so sure since it's his own material. But in any event, at the end of the day... I think he can direct. You don't think so.

He can direct. Or else he wouldn't be getting paid the money he is. he just isn't very good at it in my opinion. I haven't seen jersey girl yet so im not sure what he can do with a good dp, but most of his stuff comes off as completely cheezy (the fiorentino crying and splashing scene in dogma comes to mind) Jusy my own opinion though.