saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

tpfkabi

who is on SNL this coming Sat (Dec 4th)?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

tpfkabi

Quote from: SleuthRerun with Jude Law

ohhh, and Ashlee Simpson.
i wonder if they edit it differently
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ono

They left the screw-up in, for anyone who doesn't know.

Anyway, this (Colin Farrell / Scissor Sisters -- eh, minus the Scissor Sisters) was one of the finest episodes of SNL in a long while, I shit you not.*  And it will only get better with repeated viewings.  More specific stuff later.  I'm too tired to say anything much now.  Also, sleep-deprivation-induced deliriums sometimes trigger minor exaggerations.  I'm still happy though.

*This, in reference to Farrell cussing on the air as he said his good-nights.  I wouldn't blame him, it was funny, especially Lohan's expression when she heard what he said.  They cut to commercial REALLY quick after that, eschewing credits.  And I don't think they were out of time, but they could've been.

Side note, NBC was having auctions for charity for Christmas, and 2 tickets to SNL went for over $7,500.  And I thought I loved the show.

Myxo

Whisky and cigarettes baby..

They fuckin bleeped out his language for the West Coast..

Bastards!

matt35mm

Best Joke of the Night:

Lohan: "You guys are hardly good role models.  Tina, you told me that you used to sleep with guys to get into movies."

Fey: "Yeah, but that was before Fandango made it so easy!"

I wouldn't say that it was that GREAT, but there were some inspired bits.  Farrell as Bono was fun.  The cockroach bit was SO silly that I couldn't help but smile.  That's all that really stood out.

Weak2ndAct

It's a shame that 'Merv the Perv' got pushed to the very end.  That's the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.

picolas

paraphrasing

Beyonce: Prince would like you to get on that snowmobile over there and look like you're having a good time.
De Niro: Why the hell not?
Beyonce: Prince would also like you to make snowmobile noises. Vroom vroom and that.
De Niro: Of course. I'm on a snowmobile. What else would I do?

that was the pinaccle.

lamas

can someone post a link to that Smigel claymation thingy if it's online?  that was the best part of the show.

ono

lamas - I'll see what I can do about getting that claymation thing online.  Give me a couple days.

Quote from: tvtome.comComing this winter there will be a new special: "Saturday Night Live: The First Five Years". We'll keep you informed here first.

The 10/25/2004 news about The Washington Post bulletin board photo was partially correc [sic] so fart [sic]. The Killers are indeed performing on 1/15/2005, but Jennifer Garner is hosting. Gwyneth Paltrow is not hosting as originally scheduled probably because her movie is no longer coming out around that time.

According to the original news, here are some other hosts/guests. These are TENATIVE [sic] guesrs [sic] and dates:

On January 22, Ice Cube (promoting "Are We There Yet?") or Topher Grace (promoting "In Good Company") will host with musical guest System of a Down and/or Franz Ferdinand or another musical guest. Topher might actually be hosting the next episode, it is unclear. On April 9, Cameron Diaz (promoting "In Her Shoes") will host. Coldplay and Simple Plan will likely be musical guests sometime during this season.

'Saturday Night Live' converts to HDTV when the series returns for its 2005-06 season premiere in the Fall as will 'Last Call with Carson Daly' which shares 'SNL's' studio – 30 Rockefeller Plaza's legendary Studio 8H.
I've been slack in saying stuff about SNL.  That time of year.  Thought I'd just throw up some stuff about the last two weeks episodes while we wait almost a month for Jennifer Garner (and The Killers) to host again.  She was great last time, one of the few really good episodes of the 2002-2003 season.  So it'll be worth the wait.

Colin Farrell / Scissor Sisters

Cold Opening - First thoughts: decent, it's good to be back.  Afterwards, I thought this whole political thing is all played out.  How much longer is "How evil and corrupt are these politicians going to be?" going to be funny?  Although, it did give a chance for Rob Riggle to show what he can do and I'm liking him more and more.  Also, Dratch as a wayward Canadian was great.

Monologue - Three weeks, and it's been worth the wait.  "I'm glad you're rack ... er, I mean I'm glad your back.  Do you like comic books?  I want to put a baby in THAT!"

Turlington's Lower Back Tattoo Remover - a rerun, and I loved it the first time I saw it.  Now, it's still funny.  I just don't like that they use these things to eat up time and still cut sketches that may have been funny.  Although it's good to see some of the better commercials repeated.

Roaches - Disgustingly hilarious.  A continuation of the Armisen concept of the giant bird, yet totally unique.   Colin with his long hair, him swinging that shoe, and the goo splattered all over him.  Haha, how homoerotic.  Sort of like Naked Lunch.  I'm glad this one didn't go on too long.  It was just the right length.

La Grande Explosion! - So bad it's ... bad.  Farrell really saved this one.  "No chili on show night - because of these guys.  Because of the fartilitos."  "I'm a showman, a shaman, a sad man, a madman."  When Farrell started singing like Bono, I was rolling.

Airport Security - "I'm going to use the back of my hand, the back of my hand only.  Can I approach you sir?  I'm going to explore the inside of your mouth with my mouth.  Okay, now I'm uncomfortable."

Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama Out - They sound much better when you don't have to look at them.  But, their songs are catchy.  I only heard them once on Conan before now.  Jury's still out.  I like them better and better the more I watch the episode.

Weekend Update - Highlights only as this week it was good but went on a bit too long: "Don't forget a tank can still blow up even if it has a lot of armor."  And don't forget Bill O'Reilly is Disgusting.  Amy and Tina as mentors to Lohan.  "My name is fitty cent.  I only have a dollar!  This is ludicrous"  Alexander - much better than the Troy review earlier this year.  Very good writing here.

Key Party - Best sketch of the night.  More proof of the great, intelligent writing.  John George Peppers.  CAROL!  Les-LAI.  File-a-booster.  Sooperfragalastakisticexpalamanocious!

Window Cleaner - Feh.

Pat & Patty's - I love this sketch.  Colin Farrell NAILED the part.  It really showed his talent as an actor to nail all the ticks the character as part of this "family" of employees has.  Seeing the 60 Minutes segment about SNL, then seeing Colin Farrell choose to do this sketch, somewhat validates his skill and intelligence as an actor.  That he chose to do this shows he's in tune with good writing at the very least.

Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd cover) - They sound like the BeeGees here (and as an interesting note, I was reading about the group, only to find someone else has compared them (that song anyway) to the BeeGees too -- I guess I'm not the only one).  And (Scissor Sisters) doing BeeGees doing Pink Floyd is either someone's best dream or someone else's worst nightmare.  The funny thing about this group is the first time I heard them I couldn't stand them.  I guess it was the guy prancing around -- so incredibly distracting.

Merv the Perv - I don't really like this sketch as a general rule, but some lines here worked well.  Farrell was the perfect guy to do this with, so it had that going for them.

Great show, "I shit you not!"  They bleeped that on the west coast, I'm guessing.  Wonder if Farrell's going to get any shit for that one.  I haven't heard anything.

Robert De Niro / Destiny's Child

Cold Opening - What are they, in 3rd Grade?  Apu Pibat?  Pu Ping?  Oh, how you slay me.  No really.  Not.

Monologue - One of the most awkward things I've ever seen.  This doesn't look good.  De Niro was actually blushing when he botched the line in the song and Kermit said "that was close."

Woomba - Haha.  Go Tina.  More of this, please.

Pranksters - Rip off of Walken's stint on the same "show."  De Niro can't really compare, so they had to think of some even more brutal way for his victim to get pranked.  It was sort of funny, and seeing a "violent" De Niro has its moments, but it wasn't funny "ha-ha."

A Wedding and a Gay Son - This sketch was somewhat interesting, again, because of the writing.  I liked how there was at least a little bit of an arc and a surprise at the end instead of an endless string of gay stereotypes.  But still, it left a lot to be desired in that it had been done before.  The (not-so-)ambiguously gay thing is just really played out.  On the bright side, Finesse and Seth (especially Finesse) were able to do a lot with what little they were given -- I really enjoyed their dancing, and the expressions on their faces.  The montage was nice, too.

Prince Christmas Special - Almost Painful.  Armisen's facial expressions and voice work are great, but the sketch isn't that funny.  The Taxi Driver quote requests, even in jest, are old.  picolas was right, though -- the snowmobile moment was great.  I like Kenan and Finesse, but please quit wasting our time on Star Jones.

TV Funhouse Christmas - Very interesting short here.  Funny.  Insightful.  But not something we haven't heard before -- we've been telling it to ourselves for over a month now, as it's the only way we can really cope.  It's nice how it makes you laugh, and then makes you feel bad for laughing.  That was really a nice touch.  And poor Moby.

Trump-a-Claus - Great little bit.  Unlike the whole boardroom from a few weeks ago, this one was fun, just like the Halloween commercial.  Falafafalalafalalalalala ... Chanuka-hah!

Destiny's Child - Feh.  Catchy but empty.  It was funny seeing Beyonce on the show when Maya's doing an impression of her in the Prince sketch.  They should've worked her into it for comedic effect.  She has at least some acting skills, which is more than can be said for other musical guests who have been incorporated into sketches.

Weekend Update - Leviticus was okay.  Again, it showed Riggle's range, and that's always good.  The jokes in the first part, decent, nothing uproariously funny.  Scheinwald Studios -- I love these two characters.  But I suspect everyone here would because of their love of films.  Dratch is amazing, and Seth is a perfect counterbalance to that.  He shows his range her, playing the impassioned, intelligent studio exec opposite Dratch's over-the-top mogul.  Weekend Update was short and sweet.  Nice.  Just how I like it unless they have a whole lot of A material.  What was here was good, and shone in an otherwise average-to-below-average show.

Undercover Cop - Somewhat painful, somewhat unoriginal, yet with some good moments.  Sanz' over-the-top performance and character was unique in his ineptitude.  Still, you'd think they'd find other things for De Niro to do than act in scenes that only serve to remind people of what he used to do, instead of use his "comedic ability" that he purports himself to have in films such as Analyze (stuff) and Meet the (noun).

Destiny's Child - See previous comments.  Double feh, basically, but less catchy.

Christmas with the Cat Lady - This shows guts, and I admire De Niro for doing it.  It wasn't uproariously funny here either.  "I just want to push down on your neck, I'm serious!" got me close.  So funny watching him trying to be rough with the cats and not actually hurt them.  But I've come not to expect too much from any episode where the host can't really do comedy.  "One day, this lady was kicked by a horse.  Now she has cats."  Short, sweet sketch.

Bear City - Not funny.  *bangs head against wall*  Well, maybe it's sort of funny -- but only in a PAINFUL Monty Python kind of way.  Please, make it stop.  Fred Willard, why are you narrating this dreck?  Okay, I admit, the "Grr grr grr grr" Christmas carol sung to Jewish bears got me smiling, but I still have a bad taste from all the previous unfunny segments.

I Wish It Was Christmas w/ the Muppets - So very bittersweet.  I was waiting for Tracy, Jimmy, and Chris to jump out and sing with Horatio.  No dice.  But I love the Muppets, so all was well.  Sort of.  Traditions have to die sometime I guess.  "Hans and Franz!  Hans and Franz!  Hahaha."  Love that Animal.  And Kermit dancing in the background was a riot.

Overall, a mediocre show.  Again, I can't wait for Jennifer Garner to host.  Oh yes.  And I wonder if she's really pregnant.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

cine

damnit sleuth you're supposed to wait for ono to go through the trouble of making it.. and THEN you post immediately after him.

ono

tvtome.com has Paul Giamatti listed as hosting on January 22nd.  For some reason, they haven't put on the episode guide that Jennifer Garner is hosting on the 15th.  Giamatti is a very interesting choice.  After seeing him on Conan, I think he'll be able to do this sketch comedy stuff quite well.  It'd be great to see Church up there too, though.  He's the more obvious choice, though Giamatti was the star.  I'm excited, and quite pleased with the much more sophisticated selection of hosts this year.  The musical guests have been much better overall, too.

Gamblour.

Giamatti?!?! That's fucking awesome, I hope he brings that torpor and depression he does so well. I'd like to see his range too, he's such a great actor, and ultimately a bizarre choice. It's like having William H. Macy or John Turturro host (slap me if they have before). But shit, these choices are only bizarre because they're tucked away and sooo good. I'd rather have this than Steve Forbes or any of the other horrible mid-90s guests.
WWPTAD?

El Duderino

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.other horrible mid-90s guests.

i think Tarantino was the worst.....that fucking monologue.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?