Does Dakota Fanning piss you off? (child actor discussion)

Started by Stefen, July 05, 2005, 10:49:35 PM

Fernando

Quote from: private witt on March 06, 2009, 02:48:11 PM
Trouble is that all her performances as an adult pale to her as a child. 

Is that the reason why you don't find her successful? I think she has good to great performances as an adult, just recently Goya's ghost, and the other Boleyn girl.

Quote from: private witt on March 06, 2009, 02:48:11 PM
So I guess if you're measuring success purely on knowing famous people and making money, sure, she's got it made.

I never said knowing famous ppl make you successful.

private witt

Chill dude, nobody said you did.  I said, "...if you...", not, "...when you...".
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Pas

polkablues

Yeah, last I heard she was giving handjobs on the street for sandwiches.
My house, my rules, my coffee

private witt

"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Stefen

Quote from: private witt on March 07, 2009, 09:12:27 PM
Dane Cook is a successful comedian.

haha, fuck outta here. NatPo has been nominated for an Academy Award (and deserved the nod). She's worked with some of the best filmmakers in the game. The Dane Cook equivalent of an actress would be someone like Jessica Biel.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Stefen on March 07, 2009, 09:43:26 PM

haha, fuck outta here. NatPo has been nominated for an Academy Award (and deserved the nod). She's worked with some of the best filmmakers in the game. The Dane Cook equivalent of an actress would be someone like Jessica Biel.
For once....you're wrong stefen...Biel is not the equivalent of Dane Cook....Alba is.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

but on the other hand Cook has turned in decent performances.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 07, 2009, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: Stefen on March 07, 2009, 09:43:26 PM

For once....you're wrong stefen...Biel is not the equivalent of Dane Cook....Alba is.

What's the difference? Last name? That's it. Literally.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Financially successful and good for him, but he isn't respected in the comedian world. I've heard comedians say that.

Natalie Portman is respected, but I still consider her an amateur actor. She refuses to do roles that are outside of her direct experience. It kept her from playing a nun because she couldn't imagine how they could live the way they do. She's good at what she does, but she is very limited.

Stefen

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 08, 2009, 12:10:25 AM

Financially successful and good for him, but he isn't respected in the comedian world. I've heard comedians say that.

Natalie Portman is respected, but I still consider her an amateur actor. She refuses to do roles that are outside of her direct experience. It kept her from playing a nun because she couldn't imagine how they could live the way they do. She's good at what she does, but she is very limited.

That's wack. So because she didn't play a nun she's limited? Her roles have been different each time out. It's not like she's doing rom com's.

If anything, criticize how she picks her scripts -- not her roles.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on March 08, 2009, 12:14:06 AM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 08, 2009, 12:10:25 AM

That's wack. So because she didn't play a nun she's limited? Her roles have been different each time out. It's not like she's doing rom com's.

If anything, criticize how she picks her scripts -- not her roles.

She respected the script (I think the film in question was Doubt), but she couldn't understand playing a role where the character never had sex so she passed on it for that reason. It's the same reason in Anywhere But Here she forced producers to change a mild sex scene to just a hugging scene. At the time it was out of her experience. But she's also the first to admit she never had training to become an actor and approaches scripts differently than others.

john

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 08, 2009, 12:18:36 AM
It's the same reason in Anywhere But Here she forced producers to change a mild sex scene to just a hugging scene.

That really deflates a bit of the respect I had for her. Not that Anywhere But Here has the consideration of being some sort of artistic triumph, but no film should be manipulated by the intentions of the actor. Really... who the fuck does she think she is? She is a tool, a shade of paint for the picture, she has no reason to manipulate any aspect of the film like that.

Obviously she's not the only actress to be egocentric enough to pull shit like this, but it's always more maddening when someone who is young and (presumably) embracing artistic adventure doesn't know any better than to stay the fuck out of the creative process.

I like Portman alright... but any respect given to her is either being carried over from Leon, or just comparative to the shallow pool of actresses that make up her age group. She definitely has the formidable ability to be a great actress... maybe she just needs to learn to shut the fuck up and do her job.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

GT, you're the only person who will knock NatPo for not doing a movie when she was 16 or 17 because it had a sex scene, but then applaud someone like Jessica Biel for doing a movie about Adam Sandler and Kevin James pretending to be gay for the benefits with something silly like, "Most actresses wouldn't take that role. Biel should be on the forefront of every great filmmakers casting list because of bravery."

If Portman didn't want to take a role that had a sex scene because she didn't want to be an actress being used for her sex appeal, then good for her. I have no idea how that could be a knock on her.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on March 08, 2009, 01:33:10 AM
GT, you're the only person who will knock NatPo for not doing a movie when she was 16 or 17 because it had a sex scene, but then applaud someone like Jessica Biel for doing a movie about Adam Sandler and Kevin James pretending to be gay for the benefits with something silly like, "Most actresses wouldn't take that role. Biel should be on the forefront of every great filmmakers casting list because of bravery."

If Portman didn't want to take a role that had a sex scene because she didn't want to be an actress being used for her sex appeal, then good for her. I have no idea how that could be a knock on her.

First off, shut the fuck up about that Jessica Biel spiel. You may actually convince people I said anything near that.

Second, she did Anywhere But Here and that isn't too big a concern for me. Her parents were also involved in the decision making of that so it wasn't just her being a diva. I didn't want to even imply it was. What I want to get across is that she, as an actress, will refuse to do roles just based on whether or not she has directly experienced it. She refused the nun role just because she couldn't imagine how to play someone who doesn't have sex. It was her admitting to not having the imagination to step outside the box of what has and hasn't happened in her life. Yes, she's stepped out of her life with roles in The Professional and Closer, but it's still the excuse she used. It just shows incompetency for her as an actress.