Bunuel

Started by Ghostboy, March 25, 2003, 11:14:07 PM

SHAFTR

I just watched Belle de Jour. I have yet to see anything else of his, any suggestions for what to go with next? Belle de Jour was really good, I can see an influence on Eyes Wide Shut, and after reading Ebert's essay on Belle de Jour it appears I'm not the only one.

Anyone want to talk about the meaning of the end of Belle de Jour?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRAnyone want to talk about the meaning of the end of Belle de Jour?
it means the movie is over.  those words on the screen are names of people who worked on the film.  when the dvd returns to the main menu, the film has run its course and is now time to put on something else.  atleast, thats the way i interpeted it when i watched it.  just kidding shaftr
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Scorchoz

I love Buñuel! I love the way that guy tells his story with such control over everything. The camera shots/movements are all so simple and you think you're watching one thing, but then he pans somewhere and there's something there to change everything, usually something absurd.

He's an interesting guy to me because he'll make one movie where he completely makes fun of plot, then turns around and does something very linear, straightforward yet very cool.

I;ve seen- Un Chien Andalou, The Golden Age, Los Olvidados,  The exterminating angel, Diary of a chambermaid, Simon of the desert, Belle de jour, Tristana, Viridiana, Discreet charm of the bourgeoisie, and That Obscure object of Desire.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

FeloniousFunk

Luis Bunuel's 1929 short Un Chien Andalou, a classic of surrealist cinema, has been announced for release onto DVD. The film, based on an exchange of dreams between Luis Bunuel and artist Salvador Dali, is widely hailed as a landmark in the history of cinema. Many people, however, will always know it for its infamous eye-slicing scene. Due on December 28th from Facets Video, the disc will feature a remastered b&w transfer, along with an audio commentary with surrealism expert Stephen Barber, an interview with Bunuel's son, Epilogue: Dali & Bunuel and a collector's booklet featuring an abridged transcript of Bunuel's 1953 address "Mystery of Cinema." Retail will be $19.95.

Pedro

MacGuffin

You mean I can finally find out what this means?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Extras:
• Documentary A Proposito De Bunuel with optional subtitles (1:39:15)
• Commentary by Robert Short with optional subtitles
• Introduction by Robert Short with optional subtitles (25:20)
• 28 page booklet in case with "L'Age D'or"

The Perineum Falcon

I'm guessing we should go for the 2nd?
Where, when, how, what and who should I do to get that?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pedro

Quote from: ranemaka13I'm guessing we should go for the 2nd?
depends where you live

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca
Quote from: ranemaka13I'm guessing we should go for the 2nd?
depends where you live
Jesusland.
But I have one of those fancy-schmancy CyberHome players with the regionless-ness of it all.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ravi

Gold Trumpet

TCM proves its worth again. Thursday, May 6th, TCM has a Bunuel marathon.

8:00pm Los Olvidados
9:45pm Nazarin
11:30pm Viridiana
1:15am The Exterminating Angel
3:00am Simon of the Desert

tpfkabi

finally got to see a Bunuel film, Discreet Charm.
i'm sure i'm probably missing a lot of symbolism.
the dream sequences and flashbacks were really great.
looking forward to exploring the Criterion extras.

the shorter blonde woman reminded me a lot of Naomi Watts, even down to facial expressions.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Belle Toujours (Manoel de Oliveira, 2006, Toronto Film Festival)

Manoel de Oliveira's supposed "sequel" to Luis Bunuel's "Belle de jour" turns out to be another of the great Portuguese director's memory films, perhaps the most beautiful since his undervalued "Porto of My Childhood" of 2001.  Michel Piccoli recreates his role in Bunuel's film as Henri Husson, now an elegantly aging roue who recognizes a face from his past at a Dvorak concert — Severine, the haute bourgeoise whose sexual curiosity sent her to a day job in a Parisian brothel (and who has, in the process of aging, come to resemble Bulle Ogier more than Catherine Deneuve).  Severine is not happy to be confronted with her former friend and lover, but allows herself to be lured to a dinner in a private room in a restaurant that seems to have changed little since La Belle Epoque (and is represented by a set that might have been built by Ophuls or Lubitsch).  Henri and Severine recall their lives of fifty years ago by the sputtering light of low-burning candles — an image that suggests both the nearness of death and the fading of the sexual impulse.  The time frame is contemporary, but through careful framing, Oliveira creates the impression of a 19th century Paris of boulevards and boulevardiers — and gradually, one realizes that the title refers less to Ms. Ogier than to the city itself, still as magnificent in Oliveira's mind as when he first visited it in the 20s.  Oliveira's grandson, Ricardo Trepa, appears as a sympathetic barman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Sadly I've Only seen That Obscure Object of Desire. Need to get my paws on the rest of his sh*t. But 'desire' is mmm mmm good.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection