Sergio Leone

Started by Spike, July 22, 2003, 07:55:44 AM

Ravi

Is there a chance MGM will release a box set of new transfers for the other Leone films they own?

UncleJoey

Quote from: RaviIs there a chance MGM will release a box set of new transfers for the other Leone films they own?

I would love to see that, but I don't think his other work comes close to TGTBTU or OUTITW in terms of potential commercial impact in a more expansive DVD format. Therefore, I don't see A Fistfull of Dollars, for example, getting some sort of special edition release. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Ravi

Quote from: UncleJoey
Quote from: RaviIs there a chance MGM will release a box set of new transfers for the other Leone films they own?

I would love to see that, but I don't think his other work comes close to TGTBTU or OUTITW in terms of potential commercial impact in a more expansive DVD format. Therefore, I don't see A Fistfull of Dollars, for example, getting some sort of special edition release. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I don't expect them to do lavish SEs for the others, but maybe they'll do new transfers.  I don't want to buy The Good, The Bad, The Ugly now only to find out later they are releasing new transfers of the others in a box set.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: UncleJoey

I don't expect them to do lavish SEs for the others, but maybe they'll do new transfers.  I don't want to buy The Good, The Bad, The Ugly now only to find out later they are releasing new transfers of the others in a box set.

I seriously doubt that they're going to redo the Dollars flicks, at least not anytime soon, but I do remember hearing that Duck You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) is being restored with extra footage right now.  So if MGM has the rights to that, then they may wind up doing a Leone box set, a la Kubrick, which would probably have the No Name trilogy, Duck, OUATITW (maybe, if they can borrow the rights), and OUATIA.

But who wants to wait for that?  Just get TGTBTU now and pick up the others as they come along. I doubt that they'll have the good sense to do a feature length doc on Leone as a bonus companion to any big box set.

modage

i believe they've already said this (as if it wouldnt be common sense).  they're waiting to see how the GBU set sells before they decide whether the first two need an upgrade.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Did they add new gunshots to the new version of GBU?   A lot of them sounded like the standard modern movie gunshot, and it was kind of distracting.

Alethia

no they were the same

EDIT - or so i'd like to believe, even though they're not...

modage

no they said on the extras that in order to make the sound STEREO they had to add some new sounds in order to cover up some of the holes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

So I'm working on a paper on Leone and I found out that before his death, he was planning on making a movie on the battle of leningrad.  Wow, I wish he was still alive.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

a couple of weeks ago i noticed that the 2 disc SE was already lower in price and with those DVDs by the cash register at Best Buy.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alethia

Ravi

Quote from: bigideasa couple of weeks ago i noticed that the 2 disc SE was already lower in price and with those DVDs by the cash register at Best Buy.

Of what, OUATIW or GBU?  I've seen OUATIW for as little as $9.99, though I bought mine for $12 or 13.99.  Got GBU for $15.99 at Best Buy when they had a sale.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: bigideasa couple of weeks ago i noticed that the 2 disc SE was already lower in price and with those DVDs by the cash register at Best Buy.

Of what, OUATIW or GBU?  I've seen OUATIW for as little as $9.99, though I bought mine for $12 or 13.99.  Got GBU for $15.99 at Best Buy when they had a sale.

OUATIW
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cine

From thedigitalbits.com:

MGM's remaining Sergio Leone titles, including Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and Duck You Sucker) ARE all currently in production for SE release on DVD. Those can tentatively be expected later in 2005.

:!:

SHAFTR

Quote from: CinseyFrom thedigitalbits.com:

MGM's remaining Sergio Leone titles, including Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and Duck You Sucker) ARE all currently in production for SE release on DVD. Those can tentatively be expected later in 2005.

:!:

yay.
I want to point out how under rated For a Few Dollars More is.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"