Sergio Leone

Started by Spike, July 22, 2003, 07:55:44 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

I just bought Once Upon A Time In America without reading all the negative shit posted in this thread. Shiat! I have yet to watch it. Atleast now I can view it without high expectations and hopefully I wont be as dissapointed as some of you were. But fuck, its the only Leone film I haven't seen and im obsessed with his other films, how can I not have high expectations?  :?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Brock LandersI just bought Once Upon A Time In America without reading all the negative shit posted in this thread. Shiat! I have yet to watch it. Atleast now I can view it without high expectations and hopefully I wont be as dissapointed as some of you were. But fuck, its the only Leone film I haven't seen and im obsessed with his other films, how can I not have high expectations?  :?

You've seen Duck Sucka and Fistfull of Dynamite?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: bigideashow is the SE DVD?

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1445&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

i actually did a search beforehand and went through 5 pages and i didn't see it.
=(
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Just Withnail

Quote from: SHAFTRYou've seen Duck Sucka and Fistfull of Dynamite?

Aren't they the same film?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Withnail
Quote from: SHAFTRYou've seen Duck Sucka and Fistfull of Dynamite?

Aren't they the same film?

Yes, you are right.  I meant to say The Colossues of Rhodes and Fistfull of Dynamite.
Anyways, I have little interest in seeing Colossues of Rhodes but I really want to see Fistfull of Dynamite.

brockly

haven't seen Colossues of Rhodes. that's actually the first Ive heard about it. i thought fistful of dollars was his first film. I saw fistful of dynamite on tv one night. its his worst film, but worth seeing if you can find it.

modage

Quote from: Brock LandersI saw fistful of dynamite on tv one night. its his worst film, but worth seeing if you can find it. I just bought Once Upon A Time In America and  have yet to watch it.
hold that thought....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

brockly

Quote from: themodernage02hold that thought....

is it really that bad? ive heard good things. i still haven't gotten a chance to see it. im a uni student and things are really hectic right now. when i get around to seeing it ill post my thoughts.... well, not my thoughts, just a simple "liked it" or "didn't" post. or maybe even "fuck, best movie ever! you guys are nuts". or quite possibly "im burning all my leone dvds tomorrow. ill never forgive that asshole!"

Alethia

sergio leone was incapable of making a bad film.  he just made an average one with OUTIA.  everything else (with the exception of collosus of rhodes, unseen by me) was gold.  duck, you sucker (preferred title by me) was just a notch underneath any of the dollar's films.

SHAFTR

I don't understand the hate on here for Once Upon a Time in America.  One critic called the american re-edited version the worst film of 1984, but after seeing the original cut (on the DVD) said it was one of the best movies of the decade.  This makes me wonder if some on here saw the american edit.  Or else people dislike the film b/c it's not a western.  I assure you though that everything in this film is top notch.  Only big problem I have is it wasn't shot in scope.  This isn't a simple vengeance film though, it's has many more complexities in it.  He takes the operatic structure he dabbled with in OUTW and expands it.  I'd also say that OUTA is a 4 hr art film, maybe that bothers some on here for a Leone film.

Alethia

i like OUTIA.  just more comfortable with Leone in a wetsern setting.  Seems as if he was too.

SoNowThen

Can I have some reports on the new spec ed of GB&U?

Is the transfer much better than the old cheapo dvd? How is the new material? Is this the only version they'll release, or will they re-master the original version (w/ out extra footage) in the near future?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenCan I have some reports on the new spec ed of GB&U?

Is the transfer much better than the old cheapo dvd? How is the new material? Is this the only version they'll release, or will they re-master the original version (w/ out extra footage) in the near future?

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=143168&highlight=#143168

I have since seen the rest of the film and it's great.  I'm keeping my original US cut copy, though, but will be watching the extended version from now on. I don't expect that they're going to remaster the US cut ever.

SoNowThen

Oops, sorry. I remembered reading that review you wrote, but I thought it was on another board.

Hmm, I think I'll wait on this purchase, see if it comes down in price like OUATITW did.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.