Sergio Leone

Started by Spike, July 22, 2003, 07:55:44 AM

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateOUTIA is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

OUTITW is Goooooooooooooooood
:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: RegularKarateOUTIA is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

OUTITW is Goooooooooooooooood
:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

you guys are silly.  I agree with the genius of Once Upon a Time in the West, but Once Upon a Time In America is also very good.

EDIT:
Now, Once Upon a Time in Mexico sucked, I'm glad that wasn't Leone.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Just Withnail

I somewhat agree on Once upon a time in America. I very much wanted to like it, but as previously stated, you really can't shake the idea of trying to sympathize with a rapist. I'm itching to see it again, though. Maybe I'll find some redeming quality, in DeNiro's character, or the movie itself.

Anybody's seen Fistful of Dynamite? Worth getting hold of?

Alethia

Quote from: WithnailAnybody's seen Fistful of Dynamite? Worth getting hold of?

yes it is very much worth getting ahold of.....and i like the other title better, personally....

Find Your Magali

Quote from: WithnailI somewhat agree on Once upon a time in America. I very much wanted to like it, but as previously stated, you really can't shake the idea of trying to sympathize with a rapist. I'm itching to see it again, though. Maybe I'll find some redeming quality, in DeNiro's character, or the movie itself.

You're not supposed to sympathize with DeNiro's character. He screwed up his own life. He was a bad person. A killer. A rapist. And then, in trying to help his friend, he got all of his friends killed. The guy's life is a train wreck, and he doesn't deserve our pity. ... And I DO think the 1968 stuff is a pipe dream. ... I don't imagine his actual character lived much longer, past that night in the opium den.

It's a great film, I think. ... Clearly there is a wide spectrum of opinions on whether it is worthwhile (like Magnolia, perhaps). ... I happen to think OUATIA is worthwhile. But it's definitely a film you should see, and form your own opinion on. Even if you end up disliking the film overall, it's time well spent on cinema. Oh, and the score is mesmerizing.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Find Your MagaliAnd I DO think the 1968 stuff is a pipe dream. ... I don't imagine his actual character lived much longer, past that night in the opium den.

the one problem is that television is in his 1968 sequences.  if it was a pipe dream, why does he see that?

Just Withnail

Quote from: Find Your MagaliYou're not supposed to sympathize with DeNiro's character. He screwed up his own life. He was a bad person. A killer. A rapist. And then, in trying to help his friend, he got all of his friends killed. The guy's life is a train wreck, and he doesn't deserve our pity

I'll watch it again this week with that in mind. Not betting to much on my views changing, though. I pretty much know I'll like it better than the first time, since it has already grown in my head. But a complete turnaround, I doubt, even if I misunderstood DeNiro's character.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: Find Your MagaliAnd I DO think the 1968 stuff is a pipe dream. ... I don't imagine his actual character lived much longer, past that night in the opium den.

the one problem is that television is in his 1968 sequences.  if it was a pipe dream, why does he see that?

A very valid point. In interviews, Leone himself liked the idea of the film being open to some radical interpretations, but he didn't want to speculate as to his own thoughts on exactly what happened. I think he enjoyed the ambiguity.

Henry Hill

As much as I LOVE The Dollars Trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West (my favorite western), I can't believe that America is that bad. Should I see it? Should I not see it? That is the dilemma.  :?

modage

Quote from: filmboy70As much as I LOVE The Dollars Trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West (my favorite western), I can't believe that America is that bad. Should I see it? Should I not see it? That is the dilemma.  :?
DONT SEE IT.  whatever you do!  go your whole life WITHOUT having seen it, and it will be a happier one.  i wish i could.  :cry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

nah, you should definitly see it, man.  it's got it's moments.

modage

yeah but all the moments are in the beginning.  and then, it becomes the worst movie of all time.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02yeah but all the moments are in the beginning.  and then, it becomes the worst movie of all time.

Worst film of all time?
You better be exagerating.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02yeah but all the moments are in the beginning.  and then, it becomes the worst movie of all time.

MAN, and I was SO SURE that "Police Academy 6: City Under Siege" was the worst movie of all time. Shows you what I know.

tpfkabi

ONce Upon a Time in the West is on AMC right now.
i see it has Claudia from 8 1/2.
how is the SE DVD?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.