Sergio Leone

Started by Spike, July 22, 2003, 07:55:44 AM

Spike

Hi!
Any opinions on the creator of the spaghetti western?

He's one of my favourite directors.
"Once Upon a Time in America" is just so great.
And his westerns are amazing.

Spike
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

SHAFTR

I think the intro credits for A Fistfull of Dollars are great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Cecil

Quote from: mogwaiI love spaghetti.

"...and westerns. if only there was a way to... put the two TOGETHER!" and they all called him crazy but it was he who got the last laugh

modage

Quote from: Spike"Once Upon a Time in America" is just so great.

wow, did i just hate that movie!  and it started out SO promising. the first hour had me all ready to buy the dvd, and then god what the hell happened to that story?  i dont know, but it really fell to shit.  the opening murders and the whole beginning with them as children, pretty much till deniro gets out of jail was good, and then it just got progressively worse and worse.  i guess if Solaris is the un-2001, than this can be the un-Godfather.  

SPOILERS--------------------------------------------

okay, that friggin rape scene was so unneccesary and awful.  i couldnt believe i now had to spend the next hour of the movie with this character that i completely hated. there were no reasons for his actions and it seemed to be completely out of character with no attempt for any explanation for it.  i can see why they left this out of the american release, and i wish they had left it off the dvd.

-----------------------------------------------------END SPOILERS

i also read some theories about the rest being a dream or something, but either way, it SUCKED THE BIG ONE.  a fucking shame, since i have loved every other Sergio Leone movie up until this point.  i guess he should've stuck to westerns.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Leone is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.  I have seen and own his Dollars trilogy along with Once Upon a Time in the West.  I actually just finished Once Upon a Time in the West and I have to say that I am just amazed.  I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in America but I'm so tempted just to blindbuy the dvd, as I did with West.

It's amazing what Leone did in only 7 films (althought I have only seen 4).  I see no reason why he shouldn't be up there with Cinema's greats.  I think time will tell and as the years march on so will his legend.

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRI haven't seen Once Upon a Time in America but I'm so tempted just to blindbuy the dvd, as I did with West.

please dont. i beg of you.  dont let the similar title fool you into thinking the greatness of the former rubbed off in any way on the latter.  please just watch it, dont waste your money.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

leone is the filmmaker i am currently obsessed with right now, i have been blind buying all of his stuff, and god he is fucking great.  he and godard are the two i am heavily into at the moment...

SHAFTR

Quote from: ewardleone is the filmmaker i am currently obsessed with right now, i have been blind buying all of his stuff, and god he is fucking great.  ...

same here.

I want to see Fistfull of Dynamite.

cine

While on the topic of Leone's DVDs, I must say that I *would* buy the Eastwood trilogy however they're so cheap and minimal with extras that I would think they're getting re-released in the future. Which saves me from spending about $55 canadian on Dvds I know I'm going to replace anyway.

SHAFTR

Quote from: CinephileWhile on the topic of Leone's DVDs, I must say that I *would* buy the Eastwood trilogy however they're so cheap and minimal with extras that I would think they're getting re-released in the future. Which saves me from spending about $55 canadian on Dvds I know I'm going to replace anyway.

I got all 3 of them for a total of $15 last week.

cine

Alethia

i got all three of them in a fucking pharmacy for under twelve bucks too

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileWhile on the topic of Leone's DVDs, I must say that I *would* buy the Eastwood trilogy however they're so cheap and minimal with extras that I would think they're getting re-released in the future.

"Good, Bad and Ugly" is being rereleased:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3933
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

so I just bought and watched Once Upon a Time in America.  The 3hr 45min viewing time seemed like nothing at all.  I was curious to find out what everyone's interpretation of the film is.  The film was an art film epic.  Everything was top notch.  Ohh, how I wish Leone was still alive.  

SPOILERS
Do you think all of the 1968 stuff actually happened or was it an opium trip?  What happened to James Wood's character?  What was with the flappers in 1968 at the end (with god bless america playing?)

SPOILERS END

RegularKarate

OUTIA is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

OUTITW is Goooooooooooooooood