david lynch's genius protege....Eli ROTH..

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 24, 2004, 10:39:22 PM

NEON MERCURY

....::dramatic music playing::

..i feel the need to give Mr. Roth his own thread....i have listen about 3/4 the way through his commentary track on cabin fever...and he's  awesome.. really good sh*t talks about in that track.........

and he 's brilliant(..who wouldn't want to worship lynch).... :wink: .....

so feel free to be the proverbial "needle" and work this "thread"....

...i am getting tired....

::dramatic music stops::

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Eli Roth Talks About His Future Slate
Source: Bloody-Disgusting Sunday, February 1, 2004

Horror site Bloody-Disgustin got chattin' with Cabin Fever director Eli Roth about his future slate. Besides the previously announced news that he's working on The Box (see here), here's clips about his other projects.

Eli is also working on a project called Drawn. Not one of Eli's creations, drawn was a script sent to him by an aspiring filmmaker. Eli was so impressed by this dark and frightening tale that he decided he could bring it to the big screen with his director's flair. The film is about an Artist who discovers that Evil uses all forms of art to spread its message to the world and the Artist's unsuccessful struggle to prevent the apocalypse through his creations, Eli says Drawn is a "nightmarish and horrifying film with the same dark feel as films like the Exorcist and The Shining." Featuring the End of Mankind, Tidal waves of blood, and waves of bodies, Eli believes this will be a fun one.

Also in wrap-up is 2001 Maniacs, starring Robert Englund. This is Eli's first endeavor stemming from his new company called Raw Nerve Productions. Raw Nerve is Eli Roth, Yak Boaz of Greenestreet Films, and Scott Spiegel of Evil Dead 2 fame. They are hoping to provide an environment where new horror filmmakers can get their big break, or where veterans can come to experiment in horror. Oh, But it must be Gory and Sick. They will be accepting scripts from horror filmmaker Hopefuls. Eli Roth describes 2001 Maniacs as a remake with the "slapstick humor of Dead Alive."

On the lighter side, Eli is working on a script for a teen comedy he will also be directing called Scavenger Hunt for Universal. It will be film based on Eli's high school experiences. With lots of T & A. Of course. To all of those guys who used to beat up Eli in high school: Suddenly it isn't so funny anymore. Get ready for some payback.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

From the new Premiere...

PREMIERE: Of the young directors you see coming along, who gives you great hopes for their future movies and what they'll do for film?

QUENTIN TARANTINO: Well, the young director whose work I saw that I was, like, really, really excited by is Eli Roth, who did Cabin Fever.  I think he's exactly what the horror genre has needed.  The genre has needed a director like him to put some enthusiasm back into horror films.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Davis takes shot at 'Hunt' for Uni

Screenwriter Jonathan Davis has been hired to rewrite Eli Roth's "Scavenger Hunt" for Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and Universal Pictures. Roth, who wrote the first draft of the screenplay, will direct the feature, which is inspired by his experiences from his school days and follows a group of overachieving students on a scavenger hunt. Universal vice chairman of worldwide production Mary Parent and vp production Dylan Clark will oversee for the studio. Davis wrote the first draft of "Dukes of Hazzard" at Warners Bros. Pictures, where he has a two-picture deal. Di Bonaventura's other projects include "Derailed" for Miramax Films, "Confessions of a Super Freak," "Detour" and "Bad Girls" for Paramount Pictures and "Unborn" for Sony Pictures. Roth's previous features include "The Box," "The Rotten Fruit" and "Cabin Fever."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

HOSTEL Housed at Screen Gems
Mike Fleiss will produce the project for helmer Eli Roth with Jay Hernandez in negotiations to star.
Source: FilmStew.com

Reality TV maven Mike Fleiss (The Bachelor) is returning to horror features, teaming up with director Eli Roth (Cabin Fever) to make Hostel at Screen Gems. Fleiss previously produced The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Although the plot is being kept under wraps, it's no secret that Jay Hernandez is in final negotiations to star. It's reported that he'll play an American traveler abroad. Shooting is slated to begin later this month.

Roth wrote the spec script, which was set up at Screen Gems as a negative pickup. Fleiss, his Next Entertainment partner Chris Briggs and Roth will produce the film. Boaz Yakin and Scott Spiegel, Roth's partners at his Raw Nerve production shingle, will be executive producers.

For the big screen, Fleiss is producing The Poseidon Adventure for director Wolfgang Petersen and Warner Bros. He is also working on a prequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for New Line.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

recently watched cabin fever -- very curious to see what he does next - did you get a chance to see the rotten fruit animated series on the cabin fever dvd? really great stuff. Paaanakes!
...your excuses are your own...

Stefen

Wait a second. So Cabin Fever was actually good? I had it pegged for one of those cash in horror films. I'll have to check it out.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Quote from: StefenWait a second. So Cabin Fever was actually good? I had it pegged for one of those cash in horror films. I'll have to check it out.

I enjoyed it a lot.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: StefenWait a second. So Cabin Fever was actually good? I had it pegged for one of those cash in horror films. I'll have to check it out.

So did I. I avoided it until my roommate bought it. It's nothing brilliant, just a good fun horror film in it's purest form -  a return to form, derivitive of such film as evil dead, bad taste,etc...I'm by no means a huge horror fan, but while watching you can tell that Eli Roth is having so much fun making it that you can't help but smile. I found it more humorous than scary. It's interesting wathcing this knwoing he's lynch's "protoge".  The film sets up that very mundane twin peaks-esque enviornment -- I was waiting for jack nance to turn the corner and say " there's a fiiiiiiiish in the percalatooor".
...your excuses are your own...

NEON MERCURY

hell yes its good! its nasty and funny as shit.  and it has brunette  chick with  two nice breasts.   see it.  its great w/ a bunch of friends and beer.  i know you didnt like shawn OTD but you will easily like this.  its not as smart as SOTD,  but its very good.   and like cowboy said, its got a twin peaks thing in it.

MacGuffin

Roth Dials Up King's Cell
Hostel helmer boards thriller.

Variety reports that director Eli Roth (Hostel, Cabin Fever) has been tapped to helm Cell, based on Stephen King's recent novel. Dimension Films has acquired the rights to King's book. Mike Fleiss and Chris Briggs will produce. Roth will script or co-write the pic, depending on his schedule.

The trade calls Cell "a throwback to (King's) early apocalyptic horror novels. In a single moment, a pulse sent out through cell phones around the world turns every phone user into a crazed, murderous zombie."

"The combination of technology and horror is fun high-concept," Dimension chief Bob Weinstein informed Variety. "And Eli will make it right after he finishes Hostel 2."

Of King's book, Roth said, "I couldn't put it down. It was such a balls-out horror movie with a smart take on the zombie genre."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Source: MTV

Eli Roth made a name for himself in the hierarchy of gore with "Hostel," and Stephen King is certainly no slouch in that department. So what can we expect now that the two of them are joining forces? "So many of my favorite directors — Stanley Kubrick, Brian De Palma, George Romero — have adapted Stephen King books. It's always been my dream to do it," Roth said recently of "Cell," the mobile-phone zombie flick adapted from the current King bestseller. "One of the things zombie movies have never done is, you never see the moment when the plague hits. You never see it hitting all over the world. ... I want to see Japan, Rio, Iceland, London, New York — I want people going nuts. Everyone on a cell phone gets zapped and starts killing everyone around them. There are people ripping each other's throats out, jumping out of buildings, crashing cars into each other. I want to watch the world completely fall apart." Grinning excitedly, he added that King has given his full blessing to the project. "One of the things I said was, 'Am I going to be allowed to change things around?' because I feel like the book is the book, but when you're making a movie, you should do what's best for the movie and not be afraid to change things. ... [King] said, 'Whatever he wants to do. This is Eli's version of "Cell." Go nuts.' Once I heard that, it gave me the freedom to go off the hook."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Roth Plans to Make Cell "Sick"

It's not too often you get to hear a filmmaker rave about how gruesome his next project is going to be ... but most filmmakers aren't as joyously gore-soaked as Cabin Fever / Hostel-maker Eli Roth.

What's the movie going to be like? "I want to make it really, really, really sick," Eli told Sci-Fi Wire, "Just full-on sick. But I also want to try to make it a worldwide event. Like, I don't want to see it just happening in one little town. I really want to see people going crazy all over the world and just see the end of civilization."

Interesting. King's novel never does go into the international (or even national) chaos that must occur when a cell-phone-borne insta-virus turns more than half the planet's population into homicidal lunatic semi-zombies. In the hands of a different director, such deviations from source material might be a red flag ... but Roth's two-for-two so far, so I'm giving the kid the benefit of the doubt. But Hostel 2 comes first, so it looks like we might be waiting a little while.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Eli Roth: Hostel 2, Cell, and The Bad Seed     

Eli Roth whet horror fans' appetites when he revealed that his plan for Hostel 2 picks up one frame after Hostel ends. With Paxton (Jay Hernandez) seemingly safe on the train out of Slovakia, one can only imagine what brings him back into the world of torture and death. A normal person wouldn't have it in him to go another round, but Roth reminds us that horror heroes are a different breed.

"As you know from The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2, heroes in horror films can certainly take a beating," Roth says. "I love Jay Hernandez and working with him is such a pleasure. He's just so easy to work with, so fantastic, and I just love torturing him. I love torturing Jay. I don't know what it is. I just love torturing the guy."

One small nicety Hernandez might have to look forward to is a pair of gloves. If he can hide those two missing fingers, at least he won't have to endure hours of hand makeup every day. Good thing Roth planned ahead at the end of Hostel. "One of the reasons I put the gloves [in] was the nod to Argento, but I was like, 'Okay, if we give him gloves, you don't have to spend three hours every day doing the makeup appliance.' So we'll definitely see it but he'll be wearing some gloves."

If Hostel begins with sexy fun and descends into hell, is there any chance that Hostel 2 will end in a happier place than it begins? "I don't know. I've got to write it and see what happens. I have all these different scenes and all these different deaths and different tortures and I've just got to sit down and put them all together now."

Hostel's big surprise (if you didn't already see the trailer that is) was that the titular lodgings were a front for rich executives to capture poor kids and torture them to death. Now that that cat's out of the bag, can Roth come up with another surprise to shake things up?

"If you're going to watch the sequel, you know what it is but you kind of want to see more and I want to learn more about this organization and how it works. More like the guys, the Rick Hoffman type businessman. I want to know about him. There's so much of that world to explore that I just want to go deeper and deeper into [it]," says Roth.

Before Hostel 2 is even written, word of Roth's next project is already heating up the message boards. He will adapt Stephen King's Cell, the story of cell phone users turned into zombie-like killers.

"I definitely use the word zombie loosely because they're just completely insane, psychotic serial killers," Roth says. "Their faces are all cut up and they're bloody and they're mangled and they don't even know that they've actually been injured. That's kind of the difference but I think the similarity between the classic zombie movies and the zombies in Cell ... they're not going to be stumbling but their faces will be all ripped up and when they get cut they don't get hurt. They're just completely out of their minds. They don't feel it. So the eyeball's hanging out and flesh from people's faces [is] ripped off and they'll just still keep running and trying to kill people."

Now, Stephen King writes long books and many of them become TV miniseries, but Roth promises a theatrical Cell. "I don't want to do it as a miniseries. I want to do it as a theatrical film. I think that it could be great as a miniseries but the film that I have in mind is definitely a full on, R-rated ultra-violent zombie movie."

Unfortunately, it looks like Roth's plans for a remake of The Bad Seed may fall by the wayside due to his schedule. "The Bad Seed is something I'm dying to do but the problem is I don't know when I'm going to do it. And I love the producers so much; they're really close friends and we want to do it but the truth of the matter is, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it and I also don't want to stop them from making it, so it may just have to be one of those things I let go unfortunately."

Roth already pitched a new take on it so it is possible that even another director's remake of The Bad Seed will have his fingerprints. "I mean, I went into Warner Bros. and I said, 'I want to kill more kids than Schindler's List.' And they were like, 'Okay, all right.' They were totally down with that. And the producers love that too and I think that that's the take that they'll go with and they should go with. I can't wait to see that film. If I don't direct it, I'm sure they'll find a great director to do it."

Skeleton FilmWorks