David Lynch - Peacemaker

Started by MacGuffin, October 22, 2003, 11:31:35 AM

lamas

Quote from: mogwaierm no, i think it was ringo starr who was.

you're right.
found this on http://www.trancenet.org/news/beatles.html:
The bloom quickly faded from this paper rose, and Beatles started peeling away one by one. Ringo's earthy common sense and taste in food took him off the train first, and Paul and Jane Asher followed soon thereafter. A general consensus began to emerge that the Beatles were being had by a sophisticated businessman, and rumors of sexual exploitation of students started to circulate. John Lennon and Magic Alex Mardas conspired to catch the Maharishi in the act, and did so at least to their own satisfaction. A sudden and bitter parting ("You're so cosmic, figure it out yourself!") led to a tense journey back to civilization, and the Beatles' involvement with the Maha ended utterly, as abruptly as it began.

I don't understand why Lynch buys into the transcendental meditation bullshit.  He seems like a pretty intelligent guy.  Of course I don't understand why most people buy into any sort of religion anyway...

classical gas

i don't think meditation should be linked with religion at all.  there's no shame in meditating, it's a good thing, i think.  i don't do it, instead i drink.  but it should be a practice far removed from any religion.

Ghostboy

Precisely.

Although it does enter into religions in several aspects. The repetitive nature of solitary prayer -- the Catholic rosary, for instance -- will induce a meditative state.

Salinger's Franny And Zooey has some interesting insights into this.

classical gas

Quote from: Ghostboy
Salinger's Franny And Zooey has some interesting insights into this.

As if i needed another reason to read this.  I don't why i've put it off.  
also, yeah, it does have involvement in some religions, just sayin, it doesn't need to, it's an effective enough practice on it's own.

MacGuffin

Lynch continues peace crusade
Film Director Lynch, US Peace Government to Establish University in Moscow MosNews

The foundation of the film director David Lynch and the US Peace Government organization are planning to open a Peace University in Moscow.

In an interview to ITAR-TASS news agency, Lynch said that the university plans to open within a year. The organization plans also to open similar universities in St. Petersburg and Rostov-on-Don in South Russia.

The US Peace Government was established on July 4, 2003 to bring prevention-oriented, problem-free administration to the U.S. Its mission is to prevent social violence, terrorism and war, and to promote peace and harmony throughout the world, its website says.

“Moscow is a very interesting, open city but it is prone to negative tendencies,” Lynch was quoted by the agency as saying. “A Peace University is necessary for it. It is important to try all means in the fight against crimes, terrorism or wars. We propose to do it with the help of group meditation.”

Lynch said he will be among the professors to give lectures in the university. The first university will be opened in Washington D.C. in roughly 6 months. The organization also plans to open further universities in the Middle East, India and Pakistan.

The universities will have tuition fees for its peaceful education, about $2,500 per year for Moscow. “The time for education depends on the personal traits of character and talent,” Lynch said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

U.S film maker promotes meditation for world peace

Film director David Lynch wants to raise $7 billion to bring about world peace through a massive transcendental meditation program.

Lynch, 59, known for the quirky, avant-garde works like "Mulholland Drive" and the "Twin Peaks" TV series, is launching a foundation dedicated to bringing the benefits of the stress-reducing technique to school students across America, and ultimately the world.

"I want to raise $7 billion dollars. People laugh at $7 billion but it would stay in a bank account and the interest would be enough to keep things going on a permanent basis," Lynch told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday.

"I would like to find some very wealthy individuals who saw the truth of this and said 'I want to do something for the world which is meaningful'. This is a way to bring real peace to earth. Real peace isn't just the absence of war. It is the absence of negativity," he said.

Lynch did not say why his program needs $7 billion rather than, say, $10 billion or $1 billion.

Lynch said he had been practicing transcendental meditation himself for more than 30 years and had seen the benefits in some schools in Maryland, Iowa and in Johannesburg, South Africa, where students have adopted it.

The David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-based Education and World Peace aims to fund in-school transcendental meditation programs and support research on the effects of the technique on academic performance, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression and drug abuse.

"I am starting this foundation to ensure that every child in America who wants to meditate can learn.

"You can say I'm full of baloney, but you meet students who get this opportunity and they shine like you cannot believe," Lynch said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffinLynch did not say why his program needs $7 billion rather than, say, $10 billion or $1 billion.

LOL

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin[the foundation] aims to fund in-school transcendental meditation programs and support research on the effects of the technique on ... drug abuse.
Quote from: crazy ol' Lynch"You can say I'm full of baloney, but you meet students who get this opportunity and they shine like you cannot believe,"
Lynch himself is proof the technique will get u just as high.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

David Lynch on Consciousness-Based Education Tour
Lecture Dates & Times:

SEPTEMBER 28 - UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA, 7:00 PM, Harrison Auditorium, free and open to the public. Sponsored by SPEC Film, SPEC Connaissance, Fox Leadership, and Cinema Studies. For more information, please call 215-898-6533.

SEPTEMBER 30, YALE UNIVERSITY - New Haven, Conn. September 30, 7:30 pm. Yale University's Battell Chapel (corner of Elm and College streets), free and open to the public. Info 203-937-9002

OCTOBER 1 - BOSTON - Boston, Mass. October 1, 7:30 pm, Cutler Majestic Theater, 219 Tremont St.—one block from the Wang Center—heart of theater district lecture is free but tickets are required—colleges will be distributing the tickets, as well as the Coolidge corner theater for tickets contact David Rottenberg (508) 653-3820 or Andrea York 508-775-9775

OCTOBER 2 - RHODE ISLAND - Providence, R.I. Sunday, October 2, 7:30 pm Brown University, Salomon Hall 101 on campus green, free and open to the public. info - 401-528-1033

The subject will be "Consciousness, Creativity and the Brain". He'll talk about the David Lynch Foundation http://davidlynchfoundation.org/ for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffinOCTOBER 1 - BOSTON - Boston, Mass. October 1, 7:30 pm, Cutler Majestic Theater, 219 Tremont St.

already got my front row seats. 5th person in line, mutha fucka.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Lynch DVD Interviews Online

Can't make it to one of Lynch's talks to pick up one of the spiffy DVDs they're giving away? No need to worry, Lynchnet has your back. You can now view the Lynch portions of the DVD online. The video is divided into seven segments: , , , , , and .

More Lynch Audio Interviews

We also have some new audio interviews with Lynch this week from the Maharishi's University. First up Lynch discusses . Next is a BBC interview with Lynch on . And lastly a clip from Lynch's talk at American University on .

Dates for Lynch's West Coast Tour Announced

The west coast dates and locations for Lynch's "Consciousness, Creativity and the Brain" tour have been announced. Tickets are free for all talks, but they've filled up quickly so if you plan on going we suggest getting their very early. Here are the dates:

Thursday, November 3 • 7:30 PM
University of Southern California
Bovard Auditorium
Los Angeles, CA

Friday, November 4 • 7:30 PM
University of California at San Diego
Price Center Theater
La Jolla, CA

Saturday, November 5 • 7:30 PM
University of California at Irvine
Crystal Cove Auditorium
Orange County, CA

Sunday, November 6 • 7:30 PM
University of California at Berkeley
Wheeler Auditorium
Berkeley, CA

Monday, November 7 • 7:30 PM
University of Washington
130 Kane Hall
Seattle, WA

Tuesday, November 8 • 7:30 PM
University of Oregon
Columbia 150
Eugene, OR

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

as much as i love lynch, this shit is a CULT! me no likey.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

budgie

part of me wants to write an involved response, but it's such a very little part, so instead i'll just say hello and ask how is everyone i used to consort with?

Pubrick

let me be the first to say.. WTF
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Pubrick's okay, thanks for asking!