Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Punch Drunk Hate

The poster art seem like a rushed skirt, designed by some hack after hearing the surprise Oscar announcements, who just hours later designed this tasteless turd.

csage97

Quote from: Pringle on January 26, 2018, 11:36:33 PM
As far as home video and streaming goes, PTA has said that his films typically do pretty well there. Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are very popular on Netflix and Amazon Prime every time they go up, and Boogie Nights and Magnolia (especially BN) are in regular rotation on premium movie channels to this day.

I wonder if those sales are enough to cover, for instance, the ~$5 million box office-to-budget deficit for Inherent Vice. I'm really ignorant on the subject and the expected earnings from streaming and home video sales, so I just don't really know. But it does strike me as a lot to be banking on to approach a good profit.

Quote from: wilder on January 27, 2018, 02:46:04 PM
The blu-ray is up for pre-order

Nice! If you google the release date, it says it's expected in April, but digital HD from Amazon and iTunes is expected February 2nd. That's remarkably soon! Thought I'd have to wait at least a month after it left theatres in major cities. I will still buy the blu-ray too for the highest quality.

Punch Drunk Hate

Quote from: csage97 on January 27, 2018, 03:25:04 PM
Quote from: Pringle on January 26, 2018, 11:36:33 PM
As far as home video and streaming goes, PTA has said that his films typically do pretty well there. Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are very popular on Netflix and Amazon Prime every time they go up, and Boogie Nights and Magnolia (especially BN) are in regular rotation on premium movie channels to this day.

I wonder if those sales are enough to cover, for instance, the ~$5 million box office-to-budget deficit for Inherent Vice. I'm really ignorant on the subject and the expected earnings from streaming and home video sales, so I just don't really know. But it does strike me as a lot to be banking on to approach a good profit.

Home video and television rotation contributes to the salaries to actors and director yearly. I bet many inactive actors still earned money from the movies only because they were being heavily shown on HBO. The profits in the box office goes to more then half of the studio who distributes the film in question. Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood weren't exactly box office smashes but they did earned decent cashed in release along with earning award nominations.  I'm not sure if Inherent Vice will grow a cult following that will hopefully pushed to profitable levels, as it would need a specific demographic such as stoners to spread the word of mouth that this is the movie to bong out.

Drenk

That February date for the Digital HD release seems weird, but that's what Amazons says on its website too. Nothing is announced for iTunes yet, though...Well. I don't think it's true, it would be really weird since it would be at the same time as Europe or even before some countries in Europe.
Ascension.

csage97

Quote from: Drenk on January 27, 2018, 04:40:54 PM
That February date for the Digital HD release seems weird, but that's what Amazons says on its website too. Nothing is announced for iTunes yet, though...Well. I don't think it's true, it would be really weird since it would be at the same time as Europe or even before some countries in Europe.

Yeah, I was thinking it seems really weird too considering what you said. The 2nd is this Tuesday.

Edit: Whoops, the 2nd is not this Tuesday; it's Friday. Misread my calendar.

wilder

Quote from: wilder on January 27, 2018, 02:46:04 PM
The blu-ray is up for pre-order

There's a 4K blu-ray release up for pre-order in Canada, so that's probably coming in the US, too. If not, same region code anyway.

Alethia

Quote from: Drenk on January 27, 2018, 04:40:54 PM

I seem to recall Inherent Vice becoming available on Digital HD  a few months before the bluray...

axxonn

I always thought the digital HD versions are 2 weeks before the physical release, but I seem to remember that being true about Inherent Vice. So maybe. Lol the digital version may be out in the States before I even get to see it for the first time!

modage

Quote from: axxonn on January 28, 2018, 12:27:59 PM
I always thought the digital HD versions are 2 weeks before the physical release, but I seem to remember that being true about Inherent Vice.
Yeah that is almost always the case but I think bc WB took such a bath on IV they decided to just push the digital up after it had barely left theatres figuring anyone who was even slightly interested in the film might roll the dice on it, rather than wait 3-4 months until all the buzz had completely died off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Vicko99

The date of digital hd release was removed from amazon...

d

Saw the London screening yesterday. Have mixed feelings about the movie, surely need repeated viewings but the event itself was great. Despite my worries, live music was not distracting at all. Everything, including sound design was "mixed" live perfectly. To be honest I wish the music stood out more sometimes. I kept forgetting they were playing the score live and kept looking at the musicians to check if they were moving;) (btw, I guess at least one piece was prerecorded if I'm not mistaken, maybe one of non-Greenwood tracks?), which generally is a good think I guess, especially for the first viewing. But the score is so great and plays so important role that I wouldn't mind music being a bit distracting at times. For that reason, I really enjoyed the credits when they played the main theme.

There was a short introduction/Q&A before the screening with PTA and Greenwood. Paul seemed to be in a really playful mood. Introduced the movie and joked about Greenwood's clothes and the idea of Jonny wearing tuxedo and giving acceptance speech at Oscars. It seems PTA really find the prospect of Greenwood Oscar win both well-deserved and hilarious. Speaking of Oscars, he also made a comment on how the nominations are good for film's theatrical run. I have poor quality audio of the whole conversation, around 7 minutes - let me know if anyone wants to listen to it.

wilberfan

Quote from: d on February 01, 2018, 01:15:18 PM
I have poor quality audio of the whole conversation, around 7 minutes - let me know if anyone wants to listen to it.

Yes.  Mandatory.  (We even have an audio wizard that might be able to clean it up.)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: d on February 01, 2018, 01:15:18 PMI have poor quality audio of the whole conversation, around 7 minutes - let me know if anyone wants to listen to it.

Email that to me, and I'll make it available for download...

xixaxfilmforum@gmail.com