Interstellar

Started by MacGuffin, June 15, 2006, 01:11:05 AM

MacGuffin

Spielberg has heavy pic for Par
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Steven Spielberg is set to defy gravity for Paramount Pictures. The helmer is attached to direct an untitled sci-fi film for the studio that delves into Caltech physicist Kip Thorne's theories of gravity fields.

Although the project is considered embryonic -- there is no screenplay yet and would likely be three to four years away from fruition -- Thorne wrote a treatment with the help of producer and science nut Lynda Obst, prompting Spielberg's involvement.

Obst ("How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days") will produce the film through her Paramount-based shingle.

Based on real science, the film will explore the mind-bending territory of black holes and gravity waves and touch on some of the hypotheses that Albert Einstein chased but never could prove. Thorne, a longtime friend of Obst's, is one of the world's leading experts on relativity.

It is unclear how Thorne's scientific theories will evolve into a film-ready narrative, but the concept has been described as in the vein of "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Spielberg, who directed last year's sci-fi summer tentpole "War of the Worlds" for Paramount, also is developing and producing "When Worlds Collide" for the studio. Although he has not picked his next directing project, there are at least two leading candidates: "Indiana Jones 4" for Paramount and an untitled Abraham Lincoln biopic for DreamWorks.

Paramount's Ben Cosgrove will shepherd for the studio.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 15, 2006, 01:11:05 AM
Based on real science

That's a good Xixax marquee right there.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Nolan to write Spielberg film
Paramount sets scribe for 'Interstellar'
Source: Variety

Paramount Pictures has set Jonah Nolan to write "Interstellar," a space adventure that has Steven Spielberg attached to direct.

Spielberg set up the project last year. The drama revolves around explorers who travel through a worm hole and into another dimension.

The plot was informed by a scientific theory by Kip S. Thorne, a Caltech physicist and expert on relativity. His theory that wormholes exist and can be used for time travel intrigued Spielberg, who attended a Caltech workshop on the subject with Thorne and other scientists.

Nolan, who hatched the short story that became his brother Chris Nolan's breakthrough film "Memento," most recently scripted "The Prestige" and the Batsequel "The Dark Knight." The scribe will start scripting "Interstellar" as soon as he delivers "The Chicago Fire" for Warner Bros.

There is no hurry. Spielberg is prepping the fourth installment of Indiana Jones for a June start with Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett, and he is expected to follow with a film about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, based on the Doris Kearns Goodwin book. Spielberg wants his "Schindler's List" star Liam Neeson to play Lincoln.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jonah Nolan turns science into a film script
Source: Los Angeles Times

As news of Jonah Nolan's hiring to draft a screenplay for the potential Steven Spielberg-directed science fiction epic "Interstellar" rippled through cyberspace last week, Nolan admitted to a little starry-eyed wonder.

"I have a better understanding of what those NASA astronauts feel like as they're about to get blasted off into outer space [when I was] waiting to go pitch ideas to Lynda Obst and Steven Spielberg," Nolan says of his meeting in January. "I'm not even sure if I remember what I told them, but they must have liked something. It was a pretty intense experience."

Indeed they did. Now, as soon as the Oscar-nominated screenwriter helps director-brother Chris finalize prep for the "Batman Begins" sequel "The Dark Knight," for which Nolan penned the screenplay, his next job will entail adapting the mind-bending treatment written by Obst and physicist Dr. Kip S. Thorne into a narrative screenplay for the potential Paramount Pictures tent pole.

It's a project that has its genesis in the two-decades-long friendship between Obst, an astronomy enthusiast who produced "The Siege" and "The Fisher King," and Thorne, the Feynman professor of theoretical physics at Caltech. (When Obst was producing "Contact," adapted by screenwriters James V. Hart and Michael Goldenberg from Carl Sagan's novel, Thorne conceptualized a wormhole sequence for the film that also advanced the field of theoretical physics.)

Over the years, Thorne's work on gravitational-wave detectors, which calculate negative space in things like black holes and imploding galaxies, has been at the very front edge of Einsteinian astrophysics. At one point Obst and Thorne were brainstorming about, as Obst puts it, "the most exotic events in the universe suddenly becoming accessible to humans," and crafted a potential cinematic scenario that hooked Spielberg enough to consider directing.

Enter Nolan, whose clever, brain-twisting creativity elevated "Memento" and "The Prestige," both directed by Chris, above their erstwhile genre material. Nolan's original short story, "Memento Mori," was the basis for his brother's screenplay for "Memento," which earned them both Oscar nominations. According to Obst, Nolan took the "Interstellar" treatment's "basic idea" and "added a time element that none of us had thought of." (Obst and Thorne may retain story credit on "Interstellar.")

"It really is true that truth is stranger than fiction, and we want to explore some of that," says Nolan, who as a young boy loved to watch old 8-millimeter NASA film strips of Saturn V launches with older brother Chris. "A lot of the narrative will be suggested by some of these amazing ideas that Dr. Thorne has been working on — his accumulated knowledge of the wonders of the universe. I'm going to immerse myself as much as my feeble little mind can wrap itself around some of these concepts and the narrative will emerge."

Spielberg, who's currently working on the fourth installment of the "Indiana Jones" saga scripted by David Koepp, has a long history of exploring the sci-fi realm.

This would be the first time, however, that Spielberg does not remain Earthbound. "Interstellar" has been described as an effects-laden exploration in the tradition of "2001: A Space Odyssey," written by Arthur C. Clarke and original "A.I." developer Stanley Kubrick.

"The truth is, since I watched 'Close Encounters' when I was probably 7 or 8, I've been waiting for Mr. Spielberg to make this movie," says Nolan, now 30. "That I have anything to do with it is mind-blowing."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
Source: THR

The 'Dark Knight Rises' director is negotiating to board the sci-fi project written by his brother and longtime collaborator Jonathan Nolan

With his Batman trilogy now complete, Christopher Nolan has found his next project.

According to multiple sources, Nolan has set his sights on a sci-fi project titled Interstellar, which he is in talks to direct and produce. The project involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. The script is based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Sources say that dealmaking has been underway for months and is described as very complex.

Interstellar is set up at Paramount but would be made by both Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan and his Syncopy banner are based and for which he has made the three Batman movies as well as Insomnia and Inception. (The Prestige was made for Disney.)

The script for Interstellar was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, as well as Prestige. Jonathan Nolan (known as Jonah) also has a "story by" credit for Memento, Chris Nolan's breakout movie.

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct Interstellar and produce with Lynda Obst. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.

Regardless of how a deal shakes out, Interstellar has all the elements that seem to attract Nolan. Apart from his brother's involvement, there is the complex and multi-layered nature of the story.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' Sets Fall 2014 Release Date
Source: Playlist

So much for those "Justice League" godfather rumors we hope? As you might remember, Christopher Nolan kicked off the year with some exciting news that he was lining up his next project, a sci-fi film entitled "Interstellar." Well, just like that, the movie has a release date and it looks like it won't be too long before Nolan delivers another multiplex spectacle.

Warner Bros. and Paramount are teaming up to produce and release "Interstellar" on November 7, 2014. The project has a script from his longtime collaborator and brother Jonathan Nolan and will deal with time travel and alternate dimensions, telling the story of a group of explorers who go through a wormhole. Earning its sci-fi bona fides, the film was developed by theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, and has actually been brewing for years. In fact, Steven Spielberg was once attached to direct. However, Nolan is using that old script, combining it with an original idea of his own, and giving it a rewrite, so it will be interesting to see the twist he puts on what sounds like a hella ambitious movie.

Just the fact that Warner Bros. and Paramount are teaming up suggests this is gonna be big. We can only guess that Nolan will want to use practical effects over CGI as usual, which usually requires more money, manpower and that kind of thing. Paramount will get the domestic rights to the movie, while WB will take "Interstellar" international. So strap in: 18 months or so of speculation, rumor and more begins here. Now the big question: who from Nolan's roster of regular players will be back on board? Just remember, Michael Caine has already said he's in it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

The final conclusion to Nolan's  'In- Trilogy'. I'm actually pretty excited for this, or at least I will be.

Lottery

Matthew McConaughey offered lead role of 'Cooper', a serious and often-shirtless astrophysicist.

MacGuffin

Anne Hathaway To Star With Matthew McConaughey in Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'
Source: Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: I'm told that Anne Hathaway is near a deal to star with Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar, the next film that Christopher Nolan will direct. This is a heckuva follow up to Les Miserables, for which Hathaway won the Academy Award. It also reunites her with Nolan, after she last year played the Selina/Catwoman role in Nolan's Batfinale The Dark Knight Rises. McConaughey is also enjoying a resurgence fueled by his Independent Spirit Award-winning turn in Magic Mike, and several other pics.

Not much is known about the specific log line (Nolan and cohorts work under the cone of silence) and that includes casting. I was able to break the news about McConaughey (he confirmed it a week later), and I am sure Hathaway's deal will make. The film is a co-production between Paramount and Warner Bros and was originally set up in 2006 by Steven Spielberg, when Paramount owned DreamWorks, and after Spielberg became intrigued by Caltech physicist and relativity expert Kip S. Thorne and his scientific theory that wormholes exist and can be used for time travel. Spielberg set Jonah Nolan to write the script, which made it easy for Christopher Nolan to come aboard after Spielberg left the project. After all, the Nolan siblings have a collaborative track record, with Jonah hatching the short story that became Christopher's first hit Memento, and following that with two Batfilms and The Prestige. Christopher Nolan signed on in January to write a script that merged an original idea of his with the script that Jonah wrote. The ambition is a film that will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the farthest borders of our scientific understanding. Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing with Lynda Obst. Jordan Goldberg is joining as exec producer alongside Thorne, who'll remain on as technical consultant.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Yes

Who will be cinematographer?
Pfister is making his directioral debut, so he's out.
POSSIBLE:
Robert Elswitt- has experience with IMAX. but PTA wants him for Vice. Will Interstellar happen 1st
Mihai Malimare
Roger Deakins
Emmanuel Lubezki- doesnt really fit Nolan's style
Januz Kaminski
Robert Richardson

MacGuffin

CinemaCon: IMAX Teaming With Paramount On 'Interstellar' And 'Transformers 4′
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

IMAX chairman Greg Foster tonight confirmed that Christopher Nolan's Interstellar and Michael Bay's Transformers 4 will use footage shot in IMAX. Three other Paramount films are involved in the five-picture deal. Those titles have yet to be announced. Nolan shot parts of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX and Bay used IMAX cameras to shoot sequences in Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen. Foster made the announcement during tonight's opening presentation at CinemaCon in Las Vegas.

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

'The Fighter' DoP Hoyte Van Hoytema Reportedly Wally Pfister's Replacement On Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'
via The Playlist

The careers of Christopher Nolan and Wally Pfister have been forever linked, with the pair first meeting in Park City as filmmakers (Pfister had lensed a movie playing Sundance, Nolan was at Slamdance with "Following") and they've been inseparable ever since. Pfister has lensed every Nolan flick to date, but now that he's embarking on his own directorial career with "Transcendence," someone else will have to get behind the camera for the Batman moviemaker and it appears he's found his man.
Dutch site Film Abides is reporting that in an interview, cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema has revealed he'll be working on Nolan's "Interstellar." Certainly, he's got the chops. His CV boasts movies from David O. Russell ("The Fighter"), Tomas Alfredson ("Let The Right One In," "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy") and Spike Jonze (his upcoming "Her") so he certainly knows how to adapt to a variety of styles on a variety of budgets. But certainly stepping into Nolan's realm, his game will be raised to a blockbuster level he's never quite experienced.

This news isn't officially confirmed so just pause a beat for now, but we will say that if it seems far too early for Nolan to be locking his DoP with the movie only shooting this fall, remember that Hoytema will have to get up to speed on shooting in IMAX, which Nolan will again utilize.

Just Withnail

Hopefully Van Hoytema will be in Alfredson-mode, and add some much-needed mood to Nolan's boring talkies.

MacGuffin

Jessica Chastain In Talks For Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Jessica Chastain is in talks to star with Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway in Interstellar, the next film that Christopher Nolan will direct. She will play the third lead, I'm told, and this is a great follow to her Oscar nominated turn in Zero Dark Thirty. Quite a cast Nolan is cooking up; Hathaway won the Oscar for Les Miserables, and McConaughey is on quite a run himself. Not much is known about the specific log line (Nolan and cohorts work under the cone of silence) and that includes casting. I was able to break the news about McConaughey (he confirmed it a week later), and also Hathaway.

The film is a co-production between Paramount and Warner Bros and was originally set up in 2006 by Steven Spielberg, when Paramount owned DreamWorks, and after Spielberg became intrigued by Caltech physicist and relativity expert Kip S. Thorne and his scientific theory that wormholes exist and can be used for time travel. Spielberg set Jonah Nolan to write the script, which made it easy for Christopher Nolan to come aboard after Spielberg left the project. After all, the Nolan siblings have a collaborative track record, with Jonah hatching the short story that became Christopher's first hit Memento, and following that with two Batfilms and The Prestige. Christopher Nolan signed on in January to write a script that merged an original idea of his with the script that Jonah wrote. The ambition is a film that will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the farthest borders of our scientific understanding.

Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing with Lynda Obst. Jordan Goldberg is joining as exec producer alongside Thorne, who'll remain on as technical consultant. CAA and Mosaic rep Chastain.

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

I can confirm that Hoyte van Hoytema is dp on Interstellar.

All brag, very little info  :yabbse-grin:, but as he's my mentor and we've worked together several times, he told me this just when it got confirmed.