Favorite Camp Film

Started by Dottie_Hinkle, May 13, 2004, 06:26:32 AM

Dottie_Hinkle

Mine are Eating Raoul and most of John Waters.  Female Trouble is probably my fav.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

Thrindle

:-D I really can't help but love Indian Summer.  And how can anyone ever forget this one:  
Classic.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

:roll:

I know. It was a riff off of the Barry Lyndon thread.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

I think Wet Hot American Summer walks the line between camp and camp, doesn't it?

cine

UncleJoey

Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

El Duderino

camp
adams family values
heavyweights
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

A World Apart

Evil Dead...it's just bursting with camping goodness

Edit: I know what "camp" means...i deserve a cookie
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

ono

Some of you don't seem to know what "camp" means.

When I hear "camp," Batman (1966) comes to mind, as does 8 Women.

context, context, context.

ono

Quote from: dictionary.comhaving deliberately artificial, vulgar, banal, or affectedly humorous qualities or style
A World Apart has it right (I see Evil Dead as campy goodness anyway -- most horror tries to toe the line between camp and "scary" and doesn't do too well), as does Cinephile (his, perhaps not so coincidentally, fits both definitions), and hacksparrow obviously knows what the deal is.  It's like Pubrick said:
Quote from: Pubrickcamp not camp
Do you see?

Born Under Punches

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls."