Stupid crap I can look for

Started by Dendy, April 09, 2003, 05:06:18 PM

Dendy

Don't you love noticing stupid crap in the movies you've seen a hundred times, because you've seen everything else?

Tell me about them.

One that I was just thinking about was in Boogie Nights when Little Bill first walks into the new years eve party.  The long take when he shoots himself.  He first talks a bit with Buck, then just after that he walks towards the kitchen, and we see an extra who is drinking a beer from a bottle, but is obviously not really drinking from the bottle (he just puts it up to his mouth).  He is center frame at about 1:21:56 into the movie.

That was kind of a limp boner of an example, but you get the idea.

more?
"The Dude Abides"

bonanzataz

i was just watching boogie nights the other night and noticed that for the first time too. spooooooky!!!!!!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

picolas

the stormtrooper who bangs his head against the door in A New Hope...is classic...

Redlum

Strange Joy when I noticed the syncopated car horn at the Best of my Love opening in Boogie Nights.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Cecil

in reservoir dogs when mr. white and mr. pink are talking in that place that looks like a toilet or something, mr. whites cigarette doesnt actually get lit.

Alethia

in the ear scene from reservoir dogs, when he finishes there is no blood on the blade and in the reverse shot, there is no blood on the ear either (and it's lookin kinda rubber-ish).   love the movie, but hehehe

SoNowThen

The Newspaper Clippings Voice-Over at the end of Taxi Driver: watched it 10 times in the last year, just noticed yesterday that the picture of Iris' parents is actually a pic of Scorsese's parents!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

watch the scene in blood simple when the protaganist drives up to the incinerator, outside the bar, and throws his bloody wind breaker in. its a high angle dolly shot. you can see the whole length of the dolly track as the camera begins to track next to the car.

also at the beginning of the shining, have any of you noticed the shadow of the helicopter that the camera is mounted on? its on the bottom right side of the screen on the side of a mountain. im always suprised that Kubrick didn't catch that.
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: SoNowThenThe Newspaper Clippings Voice-Over at the end of Taxi Driver: watched it 10 times in the last year, just noticed yesterday that the picture of Iris' parents is actually a pic of Scorsese's parents!!

also in taxi driver -- there is a point, before the mo-hawk, where travis bickle has a crew cut. shortly after that he can be seen with long hair again. it keeps on switching back and forth between scenes.
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

In "Psycho", when Lila and Sam are in the hardware store talking to Arbogast, you can see a display of knives hanging on the back wall.

In "North By Northwest", just before Eve shoots Roger in the Mount Rushmore cafeteria, a little boy plugs his ears; anticipating the gun shot.

Quote from: SoNowThenThe Newspaper Clippings Voice-Over at the end of Taxi Driver: watched it 10 times in the last year, just noticed yesterday that the picture of Iris' parents is actually a pic of Scorsese's parents!!

The Scorsese are also seen buying fruit at a stand in "Cape Fear" when Cady emerges from underneath the car. After a match, Eddie shakes hands with Papa Scorsese in "Color Of Money."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Born Under Punches

In Die Hard when Karl's brother is in the elevator, after John McLane has killed him, Hans (Alan Rickman) reads the message off of his shirt and moves his head.  When he moves his head, Karl's brother's eye blinks.  

HE'S NOT REALLY DEAD!

Cecil

Quote from: ewardin the ear scene from reservoir dogs, when he finishes there is no blood on the blade and in the reverse shot, there is no blood on the ear either (and it's lookin kinda rubber-ish).   love the movie, but hehehe

also, the wound is shaped like an ear (because it covers up the cops real ear). if you check your own ears, the whole thing isnt connected to your head, so the wound wouldnt be so big and ear-shaped like

bonanzataz

Speaking of Psycho, look out for this. HUGE SPOILERS FOR THE INFIDELS WHO HAVEN'T SEEN PSYCHO!

The 2nd to last scene in the cellar, when Lila is about to turn the chair that the mother's body is in, Lila asks "Mrs. Bates" and if you listen for it you can hear the mother's voice say, "Yes?" or something to that extent. Also, in that scene, when the norman comes down the stairs dressed like the mother, you can hear the mother's voice go, "I'M NORMAN BATES!" You have to listen for it though, it's hidden.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Dendy

I just remembered another.  From Magnolia. May have been mentioned, but i don't think so.

During the opening monologue with the Sydney Barringer story.  It's during the long dolly down the hallway toward the neighbor boy.  While he is saying something like,"they said that they wanted to kill eachother, and that's all that they wanted to do was to kill eachother, then he would help them do that if that's what they wanted to do." Then they take a picture of him.

Well.  If you listen very carefully you can hear a snare drum sound which synchs up perfectly with the sort of rhythmic way he says the last part of the line. "...that's what they wanted to do." FLASH!

it's hard to explain, but watch it and you'll see.
"The Dude Abides"

Dendy

Quotealso at the beginning of the shining, have any of you noticed the shadow of the helicopter that the camera is mounted on? its on the bottom right side of the screen on the side of a mountain. im always suprised that Kubrick didn't catch that.

You can also see the propellor/chopper things at the top of the frame, during the shot of the mansion, just before the title card "the interview"
"The Dude Abides"