official Fiona Apple thread

Started by neatahwanta, November 29, 2003, 05:24:09 PM

modage

go to www.fiona-apple.com to see...

EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK: This first clip is for "Not About Love" - taken from Fiona's Extraordinary Machine DualDisc - in stores 10/4. Fiona made this clip with her friends -- comedian Zach Galifianakis, formerly of VH1's Late World with Zach, and director Michael Blieden.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

what

the

fuck

happened?

How dare she destroy such a beautiful song?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Not about love was the best song on the Brion album, now it's the worst song ever recorded.

Shes lost her damn mind.

Maya seems to be doing better than ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro

polkablues

If you guys had never heard the Brion version, you would be loving that song right now.  There's nothing wrong with it beyond being different.  And the stupid video.  There is something wrong with that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Myxo

Holy shit did Elizondo add a huge bass line to "Not About Love" or what? Wow! I'm in agreement with most but strangely I like the new version of this song as well. It was a mistake to remove the strings though. Keep the bass line and the strings. I've decided that Elizondo's version of "Oh Sailor" is better than Brion's.

JG

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBoring, unoriginal, but not Beverly Hills-scale disappointing.

Ha!  Awesome.  I'm glad somebody else was disappointed to hear Weezer turn into late-era Offspring.

Haha I know.  Me too.  Weezer was so good once.

72teeth

All the new Weezer stuff sound as if it's part of that SNL skit Sing Along with The Drunken Asses, just a bunch of assholes yelling half remembered lyrics..

"Ohhhhh you wanna be a Big Shot- Bleep Blop, DaDA Duh...."
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

JG

they really dont care anymore.  but back to the point.

fiona.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: polkabluesIf you guys had never heard the Brion version, you would be loving that song right now.  There's nothing wrong with it beyond being different.  And the stupid video.  There is something wrong with that.

I like the lyrics, and the beat is still "catchy" but it doesn't carry half the emotion that the stringed version did.  The fact that she recorded the song so beautifully and then decided to fuck it up makes this newer one more despicable.  

Granted, if the newer one were the only one I'd ever hear, then it'd be fine.  I'm not so upset with the new version, I just feel like she's withholding a much better version.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Quote from: polkabluesIf you guys had never heard the Brion version, you would be loving that song right now.  There's nothing wrong with it beyond being different.  And the stupid video.  There is something wrong with that.

Yeah, it's not as  gutteral, but it's still alright. I don't like how slick it sounds (Rachael Yamagata, anyone?), but the songwriting still shines through. For example, the big out-of-left-field tempo change is still brilliant, despite the change in instrumentation.

The problem with this, from what I can tell in the short clip, is that there's very little irony to the song anymore. It sounds too happy. That may just be an effect of listening to it while watching the video, though. Speaking of which...

The video would only have worked if they had the guy actually speaking over the lyrics, as if he's reading them aloud simultaneously. Sorta like in the Richard Ashcroft video for A Song For All The Lovers. So, it was a good idea, miserably executed; either that, or it's a joke that no one else finds funny. Nicely edited, though.

Sleuth

I think it's funny, but mainly when people were furious about it
Every musician should be honoured to have Zach G ruin their video

Sincerely,
Fiona
I like to hug dogs

Myxo

Fiona's album went from "moping around the house with a cocktail in hand" to excellent driving music.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.