the cremaster cycle

Started by cowboykurtis, April 04, 2003, 09:37:22 PM

godardian

Quote from: chuckhimselfowhat scares me is that The Order costs 25 bucks at amazon.com and it only has 30 minutes (or something)  from the 3rd movie. Imagine how much will the boxset cost...

I just really, really want it. I wonder if they'll ever actually release it... is it for real? I'll have to check out the palm pics site.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

http://www.palmpictures.com/videos/thecremastercycle.html

THE CREMASTER CYCLE

Director: Matthew Barney

By Jorg Koch for i-D Magazine

Applauded as "ultimately the most important American artist of his generation" by New York Times art critic Michael Kimmelman, Matthew Barney is the art star du jour thanks to his five-part epic CREMASTER film saga, based on the evolution of form. Originally slated to open this spring at the Guggenheim Museum in New York, the retrospective "Matthew Barney: THE CREMASTER CYCLE" is now showing at the Museum Ludwig in Cologne (including the European premier of the last part of the Cycle, CREMASTER 3) before it travels to Paris and New York. Barney connected the exhibition surface in Museum Ludwig with its cinema hall by a coloured Astroturf floor mat: a link to the American Football stadium in his hometown of Boise, Idaho, which is laid with the same material and which was the setting for CREMASTER 1. So, by entering the exhibition, you are suddenly in the middle of the strange, eccentric cosmos of the former football player Matthew Barney, whose films are accompanied by photographs, flags, bizarre sculptures and installations made out of vaseline. Welcome to THE CREMASTER CYCLE. Eschewing chronological order like an avant-garde George Lucas, Matthew Barney started with CREMASTER 4 in 1994 and completed the cycle with CREMASTER 3 in 2002. It is named after the CREMASTER, the muscle that regulates the height of the testicles in the male body, based on outside temperature or inner emotions. In Barney's work, the term refers to the idea of gender undifferentiation, which characterises a foetus' first seven weeks in the uterus before the sexual organs ascend to form a female or descend to form a male body. This undefined state is the departing point for Matthew Barney to relentlessly explore the evolution of form through fantastical allegories and metaphors encompassing biology, classic mythology, religion and Hollywood culture. One thing always signifies another. As curator Nancy Spector writes: "In his work, Barney is transcribing a new post-Oedipal myth for our contemporary culture. His version is a counter-narrative that depicts internal conflict rather than external mastery; it is an epic saga in which definition is defied and resolution perpetually deferred. In contrast to the tragedy of Oedipus Rex, paternal law need not be overcome because it simply does not exist. Instead, form engenders form through a radical cycle of discipline, self-division and resistance." Matthew Barney's auto-erotic myth-making results in an imagineering whose hysterical beauty and opulent splendour is unmatched by any other contemporary artist. The dreamlike, never-ending stream of associations and images overwhelms the viewer.
context, context, context.

godardian

Well, there is a spot for "DVD" and "VHS" below the graphic at that link, just not click-able... yet...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Quote from: godardianWell, there is a spot for "DVD" and "VHS" below the graphic at that link, just not click-able... yet...

... which is one of the must frustrating things in a webpage.

Ghostboy

The site's had that stuff up for ages...and that graphic is actually the theatrical poster. I bought The Order, because I'd rather have something than nothing -- the trailer for the whole cycle is the best part of it, though, just because you get to see those tantalizing images. If you want something more substantial, though, you probably should get this:

I paged through it as best as I could at a museum last month (it's ginormous), and my own copy should be arriving from Amazon later this week...can't wait.

In unfortunate news, Matthew Barney will be lecturing at the Dallas Museum Of Art on the 17th of this month, followed by a screening of Cremaster 3 and preceeded by a meet and greet -- but of course, they had to schedule it on the second to last day of production on my film, so I'll be forced to miss it. Alas.

Guys, i just sent an e-mail to a guy called Dan Cohen, who supposedly is related to "marketing inquiries"  at Palm Pictures,  asking him about the Cremaster Cycle on DVD. i'll post the reply if he answers.

godardian

Thanks, chuckhimselfo!

That's what I call being proactive!  :)  Can't wait to hear the news (hope it's good or at least promising).

Pedro

Quote from: godardianThanks, chuckhimselfo!

That's what I call being proactive!  :)  Can't wait to hear the news (hope it's good or at least promising).
I dont think the news will be very good...i remember reading somewhere that barney has made half a million dollars each with his custom dvd sets.

godardian

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: godardianThanks, chuckhimselfo!

I dont think the news will be very good...i remember reading somewhere that barney has made half a million dollars each with his custom dvd sets.

That's definitely a consideration... but also: After anyone who's going to buy one of these "personal" DVD sets has bought one, how much more renown and money does he stand to make with a "public" release, particularly one from people to whom he's already entrusted a touring theatrical exhibition?

For those who can't hardly wait:

http://brutallo.com/NEWARRIVALS.html

Personaly, I wouldn't buy them.
And I never got a response of that dude at Palm Pictures. How rude of him.

godardian

I'm suspicious of DVDs that seem not to be "official" releases...

Ghostboy

If I had more cash at the moment, I'd buy one of the bootlegs, and if the quality was good, I'd buy the rest. I'd be willing to bet that's the closest you'd be able to get to owning them for quite a long, long time...

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyIf I had more cash at the moment, I'd buy one of the bootlegs, and if the quality was good, I'd buy the rest. I'd be willing to bet that's the closest you'd be able to get to owning them for quite a long, long time...

:cry:

Pedro

i just want to see the third one all the way through...i loved those i saw so much though...

if only i could get some more money...

RegularKarate

"mastered from 3rd generation VHS tape of the original museum laserdiscs."

gross