Belle & Sebastian

Started by filmcritic, June 30, 2003, 08:10:47 AM

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Jake_82

by the way, in case people weren't aware, B&S are touring three US cities in late august (New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles), and Bright Eyes is opening for them, so it should be fairly outstanding.
your reality is at the end of your dream

godardian

Anyone pre-ordered this yet?

Rob Sheffield (the only reason to read Rolling Stone) said it was "painfully sincere and tedious," which doesn't sound like them, but I've always been able to trust Sheffield before... anyways, I did pre-order it. Produced by Trevor Horn, of T.a.T.U. and Frankie Goes to Hollywood (?!?!) fame! If it sounds anything like that robotic, mechanical, sterile Frankie stuff, though, I'm tossing it out the window.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

meatwad

does anybody know if bright eyes is opening all the shows?

Finn

I'm really looking forward to this new album. I like Belle and Sebastian!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

lamas

I think I asked this question before but never got an answer:  Is it a Belle and Sebastian song playing in the trailer to Storytelling and if so, what's the name of the song?  I think it's a mellotron being played and the song might be an instrumental.

Finn

I don't think that was B&S. I think that was called "Fiction" by Nathan Larson and Nina Persson, but I'm not positive.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

The album release date for the US is 10/7, by the way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Finn

Just picked up their new album. Very cool!

meatwad

has anybody heard isobel campbell's new solo album? Or any of her albums under The Gentle Waves? When she left the band, it was the end for me. She added something that will be hard to replace, and i think is sadly missed on their newest LP.

godardian

Quote from: meatwadhas anybody heard isobel campbell's new solo album? Or any of her albums under The Gentle Waves? When she left the band, it was the end for me. She added something that will be hard to replace, and i think is sadly missed on their newest LP.

Yes, but on the other hand, I think she needed them, or at least A band. The Gentle Waves stuff is pretty cool, but it's a lot of people from Belle and Sebastian lending a hand. This new solo thing is a huge disappointment for me. I like the first song on it- the rest is a lot of very unfocused pseudo-jazz noodling. The new B&S, as equivocal as I may be about it, is far superior to Campbell's new solo record.

Ok, here it is.

"The Life Pursuit", released in the UK/Europe on Feb 6th by Rough Trade Records. Released a day later in the US by our old muckers at Matador Records. Spunk will be fulfilling Australasian duties as usual, with Trama covering Brazil and Toshiba in Japan.

The album tracklisting goes a little something like this:

Act Of The Apostle Part 1
Another Sunny Day
White Collar Boy
The Blues Are Still Blue
Dress Up In You
Sukie In The Graveyard
We Are The Sleepyheads
Song For Sunshine
Funny Little Frog
To Be Myself Completely
Act Of The Apostle Part 2
For The Price Of A Cup Of A Tea
Mornington Crescent

The album will be preceded by a single, "Funny Little Frog", on January 16th. Will it be released in a multitude of bizarre formats? Who knows?

A UK tour has already been announced (although 2nd nights have been added in Manchester and Dublin). Glasgow, London and Manchester are a bawhair off selling out, so if you're planning on getting tickets for those shows you'd better move quickly.

A US tour will be announced shortly. Then Europe. Then maybe Japan and Australia. Ah, the promotional merry-go-round.

Cryptic last bit: There will actually be another B&S album (of sorts) released before "The Life Pursuit". In three weeks in fact. But we can't say what it is for a couple of days.

Chris and Richard are also doing some DJ'ing soon as well, check out the News page on the website for more details.

That's it for now.

Thanks,
Belle and Sebastian.
context, context, context.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sunrise

Anyone get a listen to The Life Pursuit yet? I will likely do the Itunes thing in the next day or so unless I get some warning signs.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.