Akira Kurosawa

Started by xerxes, January 10, 2003, 12:56:53 AM

xerxes

ikiru may be my favorite of his films. although there is no way i could ever pick. i wish i could go back to that month when i first discovered kurosawa and watched all that i could whenever i could. i envy you silver bullet.

stray dog is one of his great modern day films too. do try to find that one.

godardian

Quote from: bigideas
what are his modern day ones like? are they wearing 50's style clothing, etc? it's just hard for me to picture.

They're just more... modern. High and Low is an interesting study of Japanese society at the time, but its overall theme- the frustration of an underclass and the blind spots of the overclass- are pretty universal and timeless. It's got a bit of a hard-boiled, detective-y feel to it. I think Ron Howard's Ransom was based on it.

I can't wait for Red Beard. Just ordered it. Apparently, it's also a modern-day piece.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

xerxes

red beard is not a modern-day piece, someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it takes place in the 1800s.

his "mondern-day" films, as i remember:
-the most beautiful
-no regrets for our youth
-one wonderful sunday
-drunken angel
-the quiet duel
-stray dog
-scandal
-the idiot
-record of a living being (aka i live in fear)
-the bad sleep well
-high and low
-dodesukaden
-dreams (kinda)
-rhapsody in august
-madadayo (also kinda)

The Silver Bullet

Quotei find this phenomenon awesome, especially since he's dead.
Um, yeah, I'm not an idiot. Via his films, he is fast forging himself as one of my favourite directors, dead or not, he is in the process of doing so, because I am in the process of watching his movies.

Meanwhile:

Dodes'ka-den A
The Bad Sleep Well A+
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ravi

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: bigideas
what are his modern day ones like? are they wearing 50's style clothing, etc? it's just hard for me to picture.

They're just more... modern. High and Low is an interesting study of Japanese society at the time, but its overall theme- the frustration of an underclass and the blind spots of the overclass- are pretty universal and timeless. It's got a bit of a hard-boiled, detective-y feel to it. I think Ron Howard's Ransom was based on it.

I can't wait for Red Beard. Just ordered it. Apparently, it's also a modern-day piece.

High and Low and The Bad Sleep Well were based on Ed McBain novels.  I guess he's a hard-boiled detective story writer?

The Silver Bullet

The more I think about The Bad Sleep Well the more awesome I think it was.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: xerxesred beard is not a modern-day piece, someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it takes place in the 1800s.

his "mondern-day" films, as i remember:
-the most beautiful
-no regrets for our youth
-one wonderful sunday
-drunken angel
-the quiet duel
-stray dog
-scandal
-the idiot
-record of a living being (aka i live in fear)
-the bad sleep well
-high and low
-dodesukaden
-dreams (kinda)
-rhapsody in august
-madadayo (also kinda)

and I havent seen any of these.... seems like his samurai films get most coverage

Ghostboy

Man, looking at Xerxes' list there made me realize just how behind I am in seeing not just Kurosawa's films, but those of so many great directors. I've seen four Kurosawa movies, and I thought I was doign all right up until about now.

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyMan, looking at Xerxes' list there made me realize just how behind I am in seeing not just Kurosawa's films, but those of so many great directors. I've seen four Kurosawa movies, and I thought I was doign all right up until about now.

I've seen more than 4, but there are a few films on that list I haven't even heard of.

The Silver Bullet

Oh, to be a director back when you could just make a movie each year...
  • A hare.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: The Silver BulletOh, to be a director back when you could just make a movie each year...

Thats when being a director was a JOB

The Silver Bullet

And not a what? What is it now? A happening?
  • A hare.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: The Silver BulletAnd not a what? What is it now? A happening?

now its a diversion

:shock:

The Silver Bullet

Ooh. I like that.
  • A hare.

Vile5

Kurosawa was, is and will be a god!!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí