A Godard thread about Britney Spears

Started by Xixax, February 08, 2003, 10:38:42 PM

Xixax

OK, I know I'm completely uncultured as a movie fan because of my lack of knowledge of film history. So, I netflixed "Alphaville" by Godard.

All I can say is WOW!

Great story, great cheeseball 60's effects. This is classic.

I enjoyed how Godard was doing so many hand-held shots. This was way, way before the steadicam was invented, yet he still did a lot of long, flowing (albeit jerky) shots. And visually it was great, too. Not too contrasty for a black and white film, although the dvd transfer - even being a criterion collection disc - was realy terrible. You could see definite distracting keyframing in the dvd compression.

But all in all, I have to say this one is a winner. I now desperately want to see some of Godard's other films.

Four phat stars for Alphaville.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Gold Trumpet

For the movies I've seen of Godard's, this always was the lesser one. I bought it through Criterion because I realized that would be the only way I would ever see it. I saw it and saw a movie bent on ideas that try to grapple big questions but really are children's versions only. The sad thing is though, is that the movie rides on these outdated ideas and I found no experimentation in any other way with the film. Yes, some things are done of experimentation like use of camera and technology for that one character, but compared to the experimentation of how to shoot a film in My Life To Live, I thought this movie was rather dull. The thing that kept me entertained is the fact Anna Karina may have one of the most beautiful faces in all of movies.

~rougerum

Xixax

I wish my parents were hipsters and would have given me a cool name like "Lemmy Caution"!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

Cecil

Quote from: Duck SauceI expected more from a site admin

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=339

My first redirect

:wink:

there can never be too many godard threads

Cecil

oh and xixax, arent the fight scene and shoot out scene towards the end funny as hell?

Xixax

How embarassing. An admin double-topic-dipping.

The only time I've been more humiliated is the time on the old board when I went on and on about how much I liked a particular movie and had it all mixed up (having watched two movies consecutively, and getting them confused).

I should not post in the wee hours of the morning. I regret it the morning after.
[/size]

soixante

Now that you've seen Alphaville, move on to My Life To Live, Breathless and Pierrot Le Fou.  Hopefully Weekend will appear on DVD soon.

I'm posting an article about Godard on ptanderson.com, as one of PTA's influences, so maybe that will get more folks into John Luke.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Xixax

I just added all of those to me Netflix Queue.

I wonder if the Alpha60 light inspired Hal's red eye in any way?
[/size]

Ernie

Quote from: XixaxI just added all of those to me Netflix Queue.

I wonder if the Alpha60 light inspired Hal's red eye in any way?

Holy shit man, I was wondering the same thing.

Yeah, I just caught this movie today on the sundance channel and all I can say is...WOW! What a weird, fucked up and ultimately VERY cool movie. I'll buy it soon. Anna Karina is beautiful. I can't wait to buy it, it will be my third godard gem, Breathless and Band of Outsiders being the other two.

I still have to see My Life to Live.

Xixax

Quote"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird, you actually have to think about them when you watch them." - Britney Spears (Sundance Film Festival 2003)
God, Beaman. I LOVE that!
[/size]

Ernie

Quote from: Xixax
Quote"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird, you actually have to think about them when you watch them." - Britney Spears (Sundance Film Festival 2003)
God, Beaman. I LOVE that!

LOL! I know, isn't it great? My mom read it in her People magazine, I'm so glad she told me about it. It's a perfect signature quote.

MacGuffin

Pop diva Britney Spears made herself very unpopular with Robert Redford at the Sundance Film Festival last week by her rude behavior. Spears, who was at the independent film event in order to make more cinematic contacts to boost her big screen career, attended a screening of the new Holly Hunter movie "Levity" and made her presence felt. During the film, Britney and her huge entourage chatted loudly and talked on cell phones and committed the ultimate faux-pas - they left before the movie ended. An eyewitness, who observed Redford scowling at the star, says "If looks could kill. Britney would be the deadest pop star in the world."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: MacGuffin"If looks could kill. Britney would be the deadest pop star in the world."

god i wish looks could kill.