TooL/A PERFECT CIRCLE

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 25, 2003, 10:17:49 PM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SlobhYeah, I like that song too (the outsider I think is the name) especially when Maynard says "over this...OVER THIIIIIS?!

Thats it!!!!!!!

damn i turn that mother up loud as hell and blast that part ..
gives me awierd feeling..*chills and pumps you up also*

really cool stuff.....I love that album

even the oddball piece the nurse who loved me is cool.....

NEON MERCURY

..I wanted to post this to give people a visual aid as to what to look for:

..this should also go into best album  art thread....

Stefen

A PERFECT CIRCLE plan on taking a long break following their June 13 concert in Denver to allow singer Maynard James Keenan to work on the follow-up to TOOL's 2001 offering "Lateralus"

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/

Second page of news as of now.

And that is wrong to lump all three of these bands into one thread.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Tool hammer away at new album.

The members of Tool aren't at all jealous of frontman Maynard James Keenan's commitment to his other band, A Perfect Circle. They enjoy the downtime. And when they get antsy, they can get to work on new ideas without having a hands-on singer getting in the way.

For months, drummer Danny Carey, guitarist Adam Jones and bassist Justin Chancellor have been jamming together, and they've already got the framework for 10 to 12 new songs.

"They're very much in the infant stage, where we have all these different jams and we start piecing them together," Carey said. "There are no true arrangements yet. We like to develop ideas, but we don't want to solidify anything too much until Maynard gets involved."

Tool will continue to write as a trio until mid-June, when Keenan finishes touring with A Perfect Circle. Then they'll work through the songs with their singer for another two or three months before hitting the studio, Carey said. While it's too early to get an overall read on the new songs, Carey described the material as heavier and more intense than the group's last disc, 2001's Lateralus.

"There seems to be a little more brute force going on in the music, rather than being lighter and more intricate like some of the stuff on the last record," Carey said. "It still has quirky time changes, but so far we've been working on really heavy stuff."

In part, the aggressive vibe of the material has been a reaction to Tool's tours with thunderously intricate bands like Fantômas and Swedish death-prog band Meshuggah.

"[Fantômas singer] Mike Patton and [Fantômas/Slayer drummer] Dave Lombardo — those guys are a good, heavy influence," Carey said. "And we did most of the dates on our last tour with Meshuggah. They're incredibly heavy, so it was a good kick in the teeth playing with them."

Carey said he hopes the new Tool record will be ready for release by the end of the year, but he added that it may not be issued until early 2005 in order to avoid being lost in the Christmas shuffle.

In addition to rehearsing new songs from noon to 4 p.m. every day, Tool-minus-Maynard have also been putting together a DVD of footage from the Lateralus tour, which they plan to release this summer.

"It's going to be something really cool," Carey said. "It won't be just another band-playing-live video."

Tool are also editing footage of a lengthy conversation between themselves and Alex Grey, the psychedelic painter who created the artwork for Lateralus, for future release. "Alex is in the process of releasing a book on his function in the Lateralus tour with his artwork, so we're thinking we might release them as a package together," Carey said.

When he wasn't working with Jones and Chancellor, Carey spent his free evenings in his home studio writing and recording with Pigmy Love Circus, a band he originally played with before joining Tool. Following a reunion gig at the House of Blues in West Hollywood last year, Pigmy wrote the new record The Power of Beef, which Carey drummed on and produced.

"It's a good-time, straight-on power band," Carey said. "Tool is a lot more intricate and more dynamic, but there's nothing like playing full-ahead, balls-out, raw power, too, and I don't get to do that as much in Tool."

The Power of Beef is out June 8.

For more on A Perfect Circle, check out the feature "The Pain Of Perfection." For more on Keenan, check out the feature "Not Yet A Legend, Not Yet Dead."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1486242/20040407/tool.jhtml?headlines=true
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Stefen
In addition to rehearsing new songs from noon to 4 p.m. every day, Tool-minus-Maynard have also been putting together a DVD of footage from the Lateralus tour, which they plan to release this summer.

"It's going to be something really cool," Carey said. "It won't be just another band-playing-live video."

awesome.......i have been waiting for a dvd release from these guys....i heard that tour was solid.......and the dvd medium would be perfect for a TooL show.......crystal audio and clear visuals....looking forward to it.......

and the new album also.....but i guess, if im a fan of TooL it should be already known that im looking forward for the new album ..thats rhetorical in a way.....but now that i think about it, i should  also be looking forward to the dvd since im a fan........actaully,  since i started this thread people should already know that im down w/ these guys  and therefore when news arrives of new projects concerning the band..its should also be known that i would be immeditaley interested in the news.......so in the end i guess this was a wasted post.......sorry.....   :(

Stefen

The dvd was supposed to come out back when lateralus was first released in 01. They've taped a bunch of shows but who knows what they are going to do with all that stuff, their live shows are euphoric.

NEON MERCURY

i had no idea the APC  are going torelease a newalbum tues.
and its all covers?  is that right?  

1. Annihilation  
2. Imagine  
3. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding  
4. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of War Drums  
5. What's Going On  
6. When The Levee Breaks  
7. Freedom Of Choice  
8. People Are People  
9. Passive  
10. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie  
11. Let's Have A War  
12. Fiddle And The Drum

i reconize most of the songs from other artists but i was wondering if any of these songs are original?  i think bodys like sheep was from the previous album.  i am most excited to hear their version of people are people.

oh and they have some dvd thing coming out tues also, i think?

Stefen

I heard the new album is awful. I like mer de noms but aside from that APC is ass. mjk should just focus on tool fulltime.

Sleuth

the Imagine cover is ridiculously bad
I like to hug dogs

mogwai

recently twiggy ramirez has been working on the next nine inch nails album. i don't know if he's going to tour with trent next year but it would be awesome.

here's twiggy on the left, staring at a blind object as usual:

Dross

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi had no idea the APC  are going torelease a newalbum tues.
and its all covers?  is that right?  

1. Annihilation  
2. Imagine  
3. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding  
4. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of War Drums  
5. What's Going On  
6. When The Levee Breaks  
7. Freedom Of Choice  
8. People Are People  
9. Passive  
10. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie  
11. Let's Have A War  
12. Fiddle And The Drum

i reconize most of the songs from other artists but i was wondering if any of these songs are original?  i think bodys like sheep was from the previous album.  i am most excited to hear their version of people are people.

oh and they have some dvd thing coming out tues also, i think?

The only songs on Emotive (this album) that aren't covers are Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums and Passive. Passive is new and Counting Bodies is a remix of Pet from Thirteenth Step.

And the album is awesome.  So is the new dvd.

RegularKarate

Or maybe it's garbage and wasn't marketed well because it's not very good at all.

Film Student

New APC is indeed garbage.  There's ONE Great song, two good songs, and the rest are shit.

Great Song:  What's Goin' On

Good Songs:  Imagine and Gimme Gimme Gimme

It's selling pretty well though, which makes me happy for Maynard.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Poobread

Yep, It's pretty crap. I didn't enjoy it at all, and I hated the album artwork. Has anyone heard the aMOTION Bonus cd? It's just remixes of songs on previous albums, but I actually liked it.

socketlevel

agreed. shit,

mind you it's interesting to see that they put passive on the album.  this one was originally goign to come out on the trent reznor side project tapeworm.  yet it's played by the members of apc on the recording.  did tapeworm come out or something and they're covering it?  or maybe that whole side project was ditched.

these covers suck, nothing like "the nurse who loved me" by failure.  they should have put that cure/sabath hybrid song "diary of a love song" that they were playing a long time ago on it.  i know it's not about war or anything but it still would've been cool.

the artwork is pretentious too; on all the apc albums.

when i was in high school, i was the hugest TOOL fan.  i was excited to learn of apc, but in the end i give the band a thumbs down.  the production value on these albums sucks shit.  too glossy like all these other stupid rock bands.  maynard's lyrics on TOOL albums are way better as well.  i've heard that early album by maynard called c.a.d. or whatever it's called and that sucks too.  it just goes to show you what the rest of TOOL brings to the table.  i used to think maynard was a genius, it's sad what the last majority of a decade has produced.

i'm worried even in that area; maybe TOOL just peaked.  TOOL is still my top choice but it seems same old same old.  i want the difference from the new album (whenever it comes out) to be as enlightening as aenima was to undertow.  Lateralus just wasn't a big enough jump.  i felt transcended while listening to undertow and aenima.  now i just feel like it's a cliche.

sorry for the rant, really passionate topic for me.  i guess i'll just stick to my mars volta these days.

EDIT - mind you, the message on Lateralus is incredible; seems like the band is finally reaching the light at the end of that dark tunnel that undertow and aemina took so long to go through.

Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

perfect ending to an album!  

another personal fav is:

And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...