Buzzard

Started by Axolotl, March 08, 2015, 02:30:49 PM

Axolotl

Starts off like if Harmony Korine made Office Space but shot like a Vincent Gallo movie adapted from Reelist's shoutbox transcript before turning into its own thing. Contains a better Mauvais Sang homage than Frances Ha.

Marty is a caustic, small-time con artist drifting from one scam to the next. When his latest ruse goes awry, mounting paranoia forces him from his lousy small town temp job to the desolate streets of Detroit with nothing more than a pocket full of bogus checks, a dangerously altered Nintendo (R) Power Glove, and a bad temper.

Director/Writer: Joel Potrykus

Garam

I loved this movie. There aren't many films that blame violence on spiralling boredom. That has to be the cause at least 50% of the time.

"Can I have like...a 20 dollar plate of spaghetti?" is one of my favourite lines for years. Says so much with so little. In context that's almost his apex before his fall, that's his idea of life on the lam, screwing the man and living as a libertine. Both hilarious and kind of unsettling when you think of the lack of forward thinking and self-preservation he's committing to at that moment. I can relate.

I found it a really convincing period piece of around 2004 as well. And the cheese doodle scene had me itching to play R Type.

jenkins

first of all, it's not helpful to say i feel like i'm on the other side of a situation i often find myself in
but second of all, i got an itchy-finger reaction to "shot like a Vincent Gallo movie" and i'll just say there could be a longer sentence
third of all, here's its videogame kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/potrykus/buzzard-the-video-game/posts
fourth of all, i don't know why i'm doing this numbering and "of all" thing
fifth of all, i really admired when the guy was wearing a wrinkly shirt at work, even if the wrinkle was exaggerated then difficult from a continuity perspective