I Love a Photography

Started by I Love a Magician, December 08, 2005, 02:16:22 AM

The Perineum Falcon

oh yeah, these are good. I like these quite a bit.

bravo! :bravo:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Chest Rockwell

For the most part, gorgeous shots.

I haven't taken a color class yet so I can't really comment on how well it's done here, but your monochrome shots are maybe a tad too contrasty for me. The important thing is that for the most part you make it work, especially for something like the old man's arm where the wrinkles are puncuated by the sharp lines created by the contrast, but in general you want a lot of tones in the grays because that's where the detail is. You can easily lose information in heavy blacks and whites. Just something to watch out for. Also, I would encourage you to move past band shots and old men - they're just so easy, and consequently overdone (not that your shots are bad). But that comes with some exploration, and your photos are stronger than a lot of what's out there so I feel pretty confident that you'll find what you want to photograph and that you'll do it well. Look into Ryan McGinley, Roy deCarava, Nan Goldin, and maybe William Eggleston.

Just out of curiosity, now that you're a photo major, what are you thinking you might want to do with it? Oh, and do you auto-expose/focus or do you do it all manually?

I Love a Magician

thanks for the feedback, dude. i'll check out those photographers.

i'm a photojournalism major at western kentucky university, so i'm gonna try to get an internship next summer. if i can't, i'm gonna try to get a solid job working at a studio in either louisville or nashville. after next semester the classes get really heavy on the journalism, which isn't really what i want to do. wku has maybe the best photojournalism program around, but i have no desire for that type thing. i'd much rather just work somewhere doing senior pictures and shit like that. i don't have much ambition.

but if i get a decent internship and it looks like i can actually take the photojournalism somewhere i'll probably stick with it and try to do a lot of new media stuff, which excites me more.

thanks again for the critique.

I Love a Magician

here's some wrestling

can see slightly bigger versions here

and here are links to the layouts i did with the pictures:

layout one
layout two
layout three
layout four

pete

great job!  haha the guy's shirt in the first picture said "shit" on it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

I Love a Good Layout

you are the only person here who is taking real photos. they don't even need captions to bring out the story.

in layout three there's a small picture on the left side between the columns of text, with a dude on the floor in the BG and a foot on the edge of the floor in the FG. that's just brilliant man. the dude's out of focus and the pic is tiny, but that's all you need. it must be tough deciding which to blow up and which to use as "punctuation" but you chose them well.

i still think your all-american hero sitting against the post in the endzone deserves some kind of prize. that shows real promise. it's iconic. a good "on location" photographer is someone on whom the fates have smiled upon by presenting them with an exemplary image of the times, for the rest of times. if you went to a war zone now, you might capture the Flags of Our Grandchildren.

there's more to say about body language and why wrestling, or in kubrick's case boxing, is so photographically potent. it's the antithesis of geometric lines and meaningless rows of trees, it's movement and motivation and conflict in action and in vision. and that's all i got to say.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

great stuff as always, you seem to improve every time you post your pics here. :yabbse-thumbup:

Chest Rockwell

These wrestling pics remind me of Collier Schorr's work. She photographed young wrestlers for one series, always highlighting the contrast between posed shots for the camera and active wrestling, subsequently pointing out the staged masculinity of athletes. I think you'd dig it, despite your preference for b&w and more photojournalistic influences. Here's a google image search:

http://images.google.com/images?q=collier+schorr&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

Pozer

that is really good stuff, man.  I love a photojournalist.

Chest Rockwell

I'm still not a fan of your contrast, but I gotta say, the first one's mighty nice. What I like most, maybe, is that you have one whole half of his face completely covered in shadow, which normally wouldn't work for me, but the backdrop was lit so that his face doesn't appear to materialize out of the background (from what I've seen, a pretty common mistake when using a black or dark backdrop), but rather is still outlined against it.

As always, really dramatic and punchy.

I Love a Magician

i took some portraits of my stepdad

and my friend aaron

I Love a Magician

GOD DAMN fuckin photobucket really shits up the colors