Cariño - Short Film

Started by Shughes, October 28, 2016, 07:46:50 PM

Shughes

I'd like to share a short I made a while back. Shot on location in Spain. Any and all feedback gratefully received.

Cariño
https://vimeo.com/51405071
(password: preview)

Alexandro

well done! the atmosphere is solid from the beginning. music, colors, performances, all the stylistic choices work.
I kind of saw the ending coming, but I don't think the film's main pleasure comes from the element of surprise. As I said, the atmosphere, which is almost palpable, is what makes it interesting.

Shughes

Thanks for your kind comments. You're right about the ending. I think at some point I decided to make the structure circular and the metaphor of a record stuck on repeat is perhaps obvious but felt right for this film/these characters. As you said that kind of sacrifices the element of surprise but I'm ok with that.

Just Withnail

Yeah that was really atmospheric, drew me in from the start. Great that there's no explanation, just dread and mood. Nightmarish. Loved the long take of the cabin guy just caressing the biker's face before it turns nasty.

Only thing I thought negatively about were the opening credits, which never work for me on short films. I'd always rather just be plunged into the world immediately. Then again, the atmosphere was so present from the very start that it bothered me less here than usual.

Shughes

Yeah, I hear you on the opening credits. I chose to have them at the start mainly so that I could cut to black when the film ended and leave the viewer with the final image. It was also a throwback to 70's films which often front loaded the credits - although it's never stated explicitly the film is set in the mid 70's - it's not important for that to come across right away, just in subtle style choices, credits, etc, but I mainly wanted to avoid modern technology.

I concede that having this many opening credits is jarring in a short film, but it also allowed me to (hopefully) create a rhythm that draws the viewer in, and lulls them into a false sense of security.

Thanks for watching and for your comments.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Shughes on October 30, 2016, 06:58:25 PM
Yeah, I hear you on the opening credits. I chose to have them at the start mainly so that I could cut to black when the film ended and leave the viewer with the final image.

Ah, but this is a great explanation for it! I like that even better actually.