The Old Souls Revival

Started by Neil, March 07, 2013, 01:32:16 AM

Neil

First, I'd like to say thanks to all of you who took the time to watch the vid and listen to my two-minute tune.

Also, thank you for your positive feedback.

This may sound inappropriate, but when I get compliments from other artists or from folks who are able to discuss art as well as most of y'all, especially those that I've gained great respect for over the last 13 years, it means much more to me than the average compliment.

I realize this sounds smug and sort of elitist, but I don't mean it that way, I simply mean that artists and those consumed by the arts seem to understand certain aspects about the process and so on. I appreciate all compliments, but I do place them on a spectrum of sorts.

Lastly, I have to give props to James Jackson (https://vimeo.com/jajacks114) for his editing Genius. He basically turned chicken shit into chicken salad. We had shot a tiny desk concert with him using a green screen
and since we had the green screen set up I thought (after several drinks and joints) "let's just shoot a bunch of random shit in CU using the green screen, while it's set up. Shortly after, we went through the footage together and I began to think, "oh no, we're not going to be able to anything with this hodgepodge," but I was wrong.  ( Wish we'd gotten a better mix of our youtube tiny desk, but we were on a time crunch)

Thanks a lot, Y'all, much love.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Neil

New-ish song that I wrote. Got asked to do a little vid for it, and here it is.

Neil

My last one for a while (I promise)

Neil

I lied.
Only took me a month to break my promise.

Neil

Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2014, 07:07:20 PM
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to put this, and I don't think I should litter any more on this site than I already have. However, shortly after I moved to St. Louis, my band began to play out a lot, which put me in the same room with a lot of talented St. Louis musicians who aren't really doing much.  STL isn't currently known for its musical output, but anyway, we have a lot of talent here, and I started this project, which admittedly was me biting off more than I could chew, but I lit a fire and things are happening.

I am producing, directing and editing this thing and I've never made a doc before. It's been a learning experience and I'd love some feedback on potential things Y'all think might help take this project to the next level, or just any insight at all would be very appreciated.

We won't be crowdsourcing. We're treating this group of 30 + musicians as one big band, so we're going to go out and play paying gigs and bank the money to get it made.  Hope you enjoy the trailer.

and here's our first musical performance that we've released which will be on the 1st disc, but only with full backing instrumentation.
The idea is to utilize the arsenal of musicians we have that are willing to collaborate with one another.

If you'd like to follow the progression of the documentary/album's that we're making we're on facebook, please go like it. This is a completely non profit endeavor, and we all just want to create.

www.facebook.com/stlhereandnow

Here it is, been afraid to post it here because you know...my ego is fragile. Would love to hear where this thing goes wrong, obviously, there are many things I'd like to change (and still can), but I had to put it out into the world after sitting on over 1TB worth of footage for over four years.

Here's the album that accompanies it

https://stlhereandnow.bandcamp.com/releases

jenkins

it invites me into the perspectives of people new to me, and it is warm and genuinely touching. and genuinely touching, warm material isn't so easy to compose, i don't believe, on account of it always being so dangerously near saccharine, mawkish, etc. therefore i think you did a fine job of keeping the doc in the right place. i swear it could be a tourist video commissioned by the city. the city council could've voted on it. "make a sweet-sweet video about the real people with real hearts who live and sing here," said the mayor of the city, why not. it makes me want to live there. i don't live there though and so what i have is the album, and it makes me want to listen to the album, and now that i've watched the doc i like the album even more.

in summary i think you did a great job. thanks for sharing it xx

Neil

still goin' with this music thing

hope everyone is well

here's a lil' teaser I cut together for the new new

Neil

Just remembered I hadn't shared this cute lil thing with y'all...

jenkins

i kind of don't know what more people want from you it's like, hellllo nailing it

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

add another one to the list, here's a poppy surfy kinda fun punky band I'min.

The band is called Backwash and we have two albums on streaming site.

We shot this one on super 8 (and RED) with some rear projections and it's fun.

Neil

doing my yearly band post.

For the last five years or so, my friend Drew and I started this band called LS XPRSS, and we just finished our debut album.

I'm very proud of it and the whole record is actually a pretty fun listen, so here are the links  8-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCah4mbS7FTeR8Wj3bu1JR5Q

https://music.apple.com/us/artist/ls-xprss/1518260394

(i wasn't able to google the Spotify link, unfortunately)

Neil

thanks for that, I just changed it to a link and that did it!

polkablues

Everybody support Neil so his band can buy some vowels.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

It's groovy, Neil. I'll be streamin'~