The Old Souls Revival

Started by Neil, March 07, 2013, 01:32:16 AM

Neil

A St. Louis music magazine reviewed our album. Dig.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Neil

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to put this, and I don't think i should litter any more on this site than I already have. However, shortly after I moved to St. Louis, my band began to play out a lot, which put me in the same room with a lot of talented St. Louis musicians who aren't really doing much.  STL isn't currently known for its musical output, but anyways, we have a lot of talent here, and I started this project, which admittedly was me biting off more than I could chew, but i lit a fire and things are happening.

I am producing, directing and editing this thing and I've never made a doc before. It's been a learning experience and i'd love some feed back on potential things y'all think might help take this project to the next level, or just any insight at all would be very appreciated.

We won't be crowd sourcing. We're treating this group of 30 + musicians as one big band, so we're going to go out and play paying gigs and bank the money to get it made.  Hope you enjoy the trailer.

and here's our first musical performance that we've released which will be on the 1st disc, but only with full backing instrumentation.
The idea is to utilize the arsenal of musicians we have that are willing to collaborate with one another.

If you'd like to follow the progression of the documentary/album's that we're making we're on facebook, please go like it. This is a completely non profit endeavor, and we all just want to create.

www.facebook.com/stlhereandnow

Neil

Here's this week's video for the project.  This song will appear on the 1st disc of the compilation however it will have full instrumentation backing it, or whatever we deem necessary for the tune.  We wanted to show the early form of each song, to show the process of this whole thing for the documentary.

Enjoy.

Neil

Hey y'all, hope all's well.  I just thought i'd inquire for anyone kind enough to respond.

this documentary is underway and essentially it's about the music scene here in St. Louis, but more specifically the project is about building a community and putting all these artists who are always around one another in a position to make music together.

So, with this being said, what aspects would you find interesting about a project like this?  What would you want to see on film. I understand that a lot of you are creative types, so i'd love to hear what some of you would have to say.  Sometimes it's difficult to collaborate with one or more people who you haven't worked with a lot, especially when it comes to songwriting and having a preconception of what the song should sounds like once it's finished. So, i think there will be some of that going on, just showing people collaborating, and clashing as well as clicking together etc. But, what else do you think would be interesting or beneficial for the doc?

Anyways, If you have any questions that i can answer to help wrap your head around the documentary or project, please ask them because i'd love to hear feedback from any of you lovely individuals. We're all super busy, so I really appreciate those of you taking to the time to at least read this.

polkablues

I think the act of collaboration between musicians is a fascinating thing to watch on film. Developing a song in pieces and watching it take shape. It really gives the viewer an emotional investment in the eventual performance. Treat the act of songwriting as a story with an arc, with the finished song as the climax.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

Neil

Production has finished on the songs for the 1st disc and we're working on mixing/mastering.

Here's a tune that will be recorded with a full band that I wrote with another very talented stl musician.

Neil

Hey y'all. Hope you're doing well. My band put this album out a year ago, it's on itunes and spotify and whatnot, but here's a link to it if you're so inclined. Very proud of some of my songwriting on this record. Cheers.

https://theoldsoulsrevival.bandcamp.com/album/i-will-let-you-in

Update on the documentary. Should be finished by summer!

Neil

My band (Old Souls Revival) put out another album. This one is self-titled.

Here is the apple music link - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/old-souls-revival/1329196141

Spotify link -

Last song from the record

Hope Y'all are doing well. I've become 99% lurker, but I'm really waiting for Pubrick to come back.

Sleepless

I'll be listening to this all day at work tomorrow. Really love the first two albums, so been looking forward to this.  :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Neil

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 05, 2013, 07:47:32 PM
Very nice, the production value is really high.

I think your vocalist would sound much better with more processing though (perhaps to make him sound more distant/reverbish) or he needs to dial back the growling a bit. His close-to-the-mic raw vocal kind of clashes with the rest of your sound.

JB, over the last few years I've sort of learned how to sing! Less growling, and a little more smoothness.

Quote from: Sleepless on January 14, 2018, 10:19:07 PM
I'll be listening to this all day at work tomorrow. Really love the first two albums, so been looking forward to this.  :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

Thanks for listening Sleepless, Hopefully, you enjoyed it!!!!!!

Jeremy Blackman

Man, I still cringe that I made that comment not realizing it was you.

And yeah, you sound awesome on the new album!

Sleepless

Sorry I'm just now responding. Yes, I love it. Although, personally, I miss the raw growling. Favorite track has got to be How Long Can I Go on Like This? Though In Another Life is a close second.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Neil

Some silly green screen fun

polkablues

Very cool video, and I love that song. I get a real Old 97s vibe from it.
My house, my rules, my coffee