It Felt Good to Have This Pain - Short Film

Started by matt35mm, May 09, 2012, 10:41:09 PM

matt35mm

In the midst of a really stressful solid week of shooting, I found out that IT FELT GOOD TO HAVE THIS PAIN won Best Short and Best Cinematography at the Fresno Film Festival. It really helped me feel like maybe I knew what the hell I was doing.

Making movies is a goddamned roller coaster. It's a constant mix of fun and dread that makes you want to barf your guts out.

matt35mm

For those who didn't see the film while I briefly had it up here, we'll have our online premiere on No Budge, an independent film site curated by Kentucker Audley. It's a great site with some wonderful shorts and features, all available for free. It's the same site that THE CONFABULATORS debuted on.

It'll be available starting on Thursday, Sept. 5th. Tell your friends, children, and life partners!

http://nobudge.com/upcomingfilms/2013/9/5/it-felt-good-to-have-this-pain

jenkins

has no one mentioned that audley doesn't have a single speaking line in saints? i can't remember if it's been said, that it was so nice to see his face, and then he's gone and what a bummer. declassified, top secret example of a bummer i experienced

it felt good to have this pain!!! the confabulators and it felt good to have this pain!! to me, exciting!!

matt35mm

IT FELT GOOD TO HAVE THIS PAIN is now available on NoBudge. I love what Kentucker Audley wrote about it, too!

http://bit.ly/17zh7ZD

Enjoy!

Reel

Great job, Matt! What a brilliantly executed haunting little film. You really know how to take us on a journey into dark emotional territory. I loved the pace of it, the structure is perfectly weighed out in this short timeframe to make it very rewatchable. You seem to have a command over your visual style that always reflects the exact tone you're trying to achieve, where even if I can't fully grasp the meaning behind it after one viewing, everything seems to be put right into place to allow me to discover it.

From 'I'm So Sorry To Hear About Henry' to this film, I've come to like your two lead actresses a lot. This showcased their acting ability and proves they'd be capable of carrying a feature, so I hope you show this to your kickstarter funders. I'm looking forward to seeing them play different types of roles in YAYB/YANYB where they aren't BFF's so I can judge them separately and on their own merits.

These no budge things are only up for one day, right? GET ON IT, PEOPLE!

matt35mm

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you liked it. This is actually available forever, on NoBudge/Vimeo/YouTube. It's just out now for whoever wants to see it, not a one-day-only thing.

And yep, this is embedded in our Kickstarter page for YAYB/YANYB, along with HENRY. The blonde actress is in the new movie, but the brunette one is not. And some other people are in it who are pretty dandy.

Reel

oh, I could've sworn the brunette was the one who talks to the spiritual teacher, I guess they just look similar. I even went to look up her name and then stopped myself, like "No, it's her."

ElPandaRoyal

Saw it this morning and quite liked it. I guess it probably could have been shorter but it didn't feel long to me at all. Short films have a tendency to be experiments that ultimately forget to tell any sort of engaging story but this was effective and emotional and very well made. Unlike the trailer for YAYB/YANYB, I saw this between long renders at my office, with a great monitor and sound system and when the car crash happened, I jumped in my chair.

More than Malick, I'd say Lynch and Bergman are what popped most to my head. Again, really nice work. Congrats!
Si

matt35mm

Thanks! Glad to hear you liked it, and it's nice that you saw it on a good setup.

I can't remember if I consciously thought of any cinematic influences while making this, but I'm sure they're in there. I was mostly looking at photographs, actually. There were also fashion videos (like this one: https://vimeo.com/28451200) that were pretty influential. I became interested in the idea of photographing women in the way that a woman would, as opposed to the usual male perspective.

Now, for YAYB/YANYB, Lynch and Bergman ARE key influences, as are Bogdanovich and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Also, the photographs by Sally Mann. It's why we had to make it in B&W, because most of our influences were B&W films and photographs. I wanted that quality.

ElPandaRoyal

Very interesting. I suppose the Lynch and Bergman influences came mostly from the relationship between the girls. And also from fading to red.

That list of influences you just gave to YAYB/YANYB makes me even more curious. I was gonna ask about why B&W, but I got my answer.
Si

jenkins

<3 ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: matt35mm on September 10, 2013, 10:09:13 AM
Lynch and Bergman ARE key influences, as are Bogdanovich and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

continue to enjoy our overlaps. night of the living dead it'd take me a paragraph to explain. bogdanovich, one line: the co-creator of the short i previously described was for a stretch of time bogdanovich's personal assistant. (i asked for december with nobudge, that release time has been received.)