The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Started by wilberfan, December 16, 2017, 12:57:52 AM

wilberfan

In 1958 New York, Midge Maisel's life is on track- husband, kids, and elegant Yom Kippur dinners in their Upper West Side apartment. But when her life takes a surprise turn, she has to quickly decide what else she's good at - and going from housewife to stand-up comic is a wild choice to everyone but her.

Creator: Amy Sherman-Palladino
Stars: Rachel Brosnahan, Alex Borstein, Michael Zegen |

Golden Globe nominee: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Nominated for 2 Golden Globe awards, including Best TV Series, Comedy and Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy (Rachel Brosnahan).

ono

Great show no one (here) is talking about.  Just finished season 2 this afternoon.  My one criticism of it is that it could be a half hour show focusing only on Midge's trials as an up-and-coming stand up comedienne, but if that were the case, it would be a different show.  Sometimes I find myself not caring about the ancillary characters, and just want to see more of Midge's machinations.  However, deep into season 2, the use of these other characters come to light, as they color everything she does.  It wouldn't be as effective, perhaps, without them.  There are a few scenes in the Catskills that are breathtaking, and really elevate this show for me.  The dance comes to mind.

Shahloub is great as Abe, and it took me a minute to recognize him, but I was amused seeing by Zachari Levi (Chuck) as Ben.  Definitely a different character than his previous roles.  Jane Lynch is a hoot as Sophie, too.

The final sequences of the S2 finale are another.  If you're familiar with Amy Sherman-Palladino, familiar themes will emerge.  As it is, I can't wait for the next go-round.

polkablues

I was surprised by how much I liked this show, given how much I hated what I've seen of Gilmore Girls. But it really is great. Rachel Brosnahan is a star, Tony Shalhoub continues to be the best thing about everything he's ever been in, and the show is just immensely likable overall. And hey, while people have Amazon Prime open to watch this show, maybe give Patriot a try?
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Really good comfort-watch, despite its one-track mind. Agree that the show's characters aren't given proper texture until Season 2. By then, if you're still watching, you're already down the rabbit hole. With each work she develops, Amy Sherman-Palladino evolves her brand of hypnosis. Alex Borstein has sorta been typecast her entire career, and here she's been given a three-dimensional variation of that same archetype.

wilberfan

I have to say I enjoy the show enough to have watched both seasons in their entirety, but I find it interesting that Mrs. Maisel's standup material is by far the weakest part of each episode.  There's also an underlying vibe that the show thinks it's funnier than it actually is.   That being said, I agree the characters are more interesting in the second season.