Batman Begins

Started by ©brad, February 19, 2003, 01:10:29 PM

Weak2ndAct

Wow.  These plot rumors and characters sound a little... strange.  I'm still holding out hope though-- just barely.  I trust Nolan's skills and talents and I sort of *trust* Goyer.  But still, Bale's got my thumbs up.  I hope he plays Genesis before he whoops a baddie's ass.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: DerekThey're taking a leap and using some imagination in the storyline. It's to be commended and it's refreshing.

Agreed. For just an action movie, dealing with this specific villian shows most room for imagination in making a good action movie. But, also, there are things to this specific villian and story that could get very corny very quickly. Nolan is going to be walking a tight rope on just handling tone and look of this film. It could be done completely serious and just look dumb. This film will be taking some risks, but good ones.

I've never thought too highly of many of the Batman films. The first is good for action and story but it declines after that. My favorite super hero is Batman, though. Its just the animated series likely brought him under the truest understanding. With the late movies, he got corny again (as like the old show) and with later comics, he got dark more for reasons of looking cool and authentic to the kids who bought them. The animated series really played it straight in identifying him as a man, a relatively normal man, but one who could get dark with what drives him. It had a nice balance to it all. I hope Nolan simply doesn't go back to the color tone and simplicity of the first but aims for the middle ground the animated series had. That would be excellent.

Also, I don't consider the spoilers on the previous page to be much of spoilers at all anyways. Anyone knowing the general story of Batman and and this villian already knows this information. It seems more like character and situation description than anything.

~rougerum

ShanghaiOrange

I'd like to see the Scarecrow. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

MacGuffin

A source for Batman on Film claims that "this is a true Batman film in every shape and form, so Gordon, Alfred, Gotham and the 'Batman mythos' will be in the film. One rumor I've heard that we'll see a pre-Batman Bruce Wayne for some of the film. He's on his world travels before he returns to Gotham and begins his life as Batman. This is what brings him to London and meeting Ra's. However, I've not heard yet that this is a flat-out 'origin' film. But I believe [Warner Bros. honcho] Alan Horn has mentioned that the studio wanted to reestablish the character in an origin film."

BOF's source added that they're uncertain if Ra's "is intended to be a true 'villain' as we are used to seeing in a Batman film. The Scarecrow – I keep hearing that he's in the film."

BOF also says to "look for [Gotham City police commissioner Jim] Gordon to at least be in his mid 40's. Here's an interesting name I've heard recently: Dennis Quaid." Quaid's name was first mentioned as a possible Gordon a few months ago. The actor has been on a comeback lately and appears in the forthcoming Cold Creek Manor and The Alamo.

Quaid, however, was supposed to star in the remake of The Flight of the Phoenix this fall. Is that project now on the backburner or will he be able to segue to Batman once that is done filming?

Batman on Film has also "heard that Michael Gough will not return as Alfred as previously rumored."

Finally, Superhero Hype has posted a brief interview with Wally Pfister, the cinematographer of the new Batman film. Pfister previously worked with Chris Nolan on both Memento and Insomnia. Pfister was tight-lipped but did confirm that he's "already begun early stages of pre-production on the project." Pfister revealed that while he was fond of the Batman TV series as a child, he "only really like the first" Batman film. "I think Tim Burton's vision was quite original," Pfister said. "This has no bearing as to the approach I will take with Chris for the upcoming film."

He added that fellow Insomnia vets Nathan Crowley will be the production designer and Emma Thomas will produce Batman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

The exciting news came last week that Christian Bale will star as Bruce Wayne in BATMAN. Now that the major casting is out of the way, speculation has turned to who might be cast alongside Bale and, considering the plot is kept under tight security, what roles might they be playing. Last week Ain't It Cool News "confirmed" through their sources that Ra's Al Ghul was involved in the film and likely too was the Scarecrow. Now we get further confirmation from Batman-on-Film, whose longtime scooper asserts that "Ra's is indeed in this film" but goes on to say he wasn't sure to what extent and that the Scarecrow too is involved. As far as other characters, Commissioner Gordon is expected to play a juicy role and immediately casting speculation has begun on who would play the role. BOF also reports that Dennis Quaid's name has come up numerous times in conjunction with the Gordon role. Has he even talked to Warner Bros about the part? That remains unclear but it seems the studio is looking for a Dennis Quaid-type actor and if you want his type, why not just get him? He's got a decent resemblence to the Gordon from the comics. One final BATMAN note: the film will reportedly concentrate more on Bruce Wayne and his becoming the Dark Knight as opposed to just having him in cape and cowl kicking butt. That's likely where the London setting rumors came from - Wayne's travels around the world before returning to Gotham to become Batman. The project seems to be shaping up very nicely and more details are leaking out no matter how close the WB keeps this to their chest. Expect more casting details soon as the film preps for an early 2004 start date.

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02they're trying to make batman into spiderman to make more money.  and thats not what batman is.  and its to be worried over and pissed off at.

yep
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I don't think they are. The desert setting makes sense if they're using Rhas Ah Gul (sp?) as the villain, and I for one think Batman taking a trip to London sounds interesting.

I do wish they'd do a straight Batman Year One adaptation to restart the franchise. Or if they're just going to start somewhere else with new continuity, The Killing Joke would be great. But I'm happy with the direction this one seems to be taking. I think Nolan is the right man for the job. This will probably live up to the old Detective Comics moniker pretty well.

The one thing I wish they'd do is use Danny Elfman's theme music (if not just hire him again altogether). I think that score is about as iconic as the Star Wars theme, and it's hard to think of the character without it. But perhaps that would cast unfair comparison between the films.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyThe one thing I wish they'd do is use Danny Elfman's theme music (if not just hire him again altogether). I think that score is about as iconic as the Star Wars theme, and it's hard to think of the character without it.

i agree completely.  other 'themes' will just seem fake.  he has a theme, i dont think i can like something else more.  but the chances of that happening are probably slim to zilch wanting to 'do his own thing' probably.  

also, i dont think they are really trying to make batman spiderman.  but by casting younger actors, they are trying to get a broader appeal.  batman is a darker character and he isnt spiderman by any means.  i think the studios can see how spidey performed and how the 'difficult' hulk film performed, and see which they'd rather have. and that worries me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02
i agree completely.  other 'themes' will just seem fake.  he has a theme, i dont think i can like something else more.

I agree with you. But, just to play devil's advocate, I would offer up this comparison: I bet everyone wanted "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" to base its theme on the original music from the TV series. Turns out they didn't, but Jerry Goldsmith's new theme became just as iconic for the Star Trek franchise.

Fernando

This is just a rumor.

Malkovich to be The Scarecrow?

Wednesday, October 8, 2003: I was talking via email last to another internet entertainment reporter--from one of the bigger websites you'd know--regarding the latest BATMAN casting rumors. And he reminded me that John Malkovich has long been rumored for the role of The Scarecrow. And that's true, going all the way back to the days of the long dead BATMAN TRIUMPHANT. And with the rumors that The Scarecrow could be in Chris Nolan's Bat-film, perhaps Malkovich is up for that role? I'm not saying he is--hell, I don't even know for sure that he's up for any Bat-role. But, IMO, he's make a pretty good Dr. Crane.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/b5news.html

modage

another bit...

Somebody working at Shepperton Studios on set construction (not Batman) saw Chris Nolan talking with both John Malkovich and Dennis Quaid (at different times) over the last day or so- Ra's Al Ghul and Jim Gordon perhaps?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

AICN indicates Morgan Freeman might be up for a "Dr./Scientist" role, possibly one of the villains - whilst Anthony Hopkins is being considered for "Alfred":

Just got a scoop from a source within the Batcave...the producers are looking at a few high level actors for a few of the supporting roles. It looks like they are focused on Morgan Freeman for a "Dr./Scientist" role. What this role is, I don't know for sure...but it's possibly one of the main villian roles. And get this.....they are considering Anthony Hopkins for "Alfred". Looks like they are cleaning house and not letting anyone (ie: Michael Gough) from the past 2 crapfests near this baby...This much is certain from my source...this is a fresh start for the Caped Crusader!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffinAnthony Hopkins is being considered for "Alfred":

I can definitely see that happening.  He was a fake servant in Zorro (when him and his "master", Antonio Bandaras, were at the Don's party), adjust that role a little bit and you have Alfred.  To place such a large star in his role must mean that Alfred may actually have something to do with the story. I hope it works out.

Gold Trumpet

Why have Hopkins as Alfred? The part is a stand in the background part usually with a no namer so as not to distract from the main actors. The only reason to consider Hopkins in this role is to elevate Alfred to a main role, but is that likely? His history of a character is pure background character and if they do elevate his character to a main role for this movie, are they to keep Hopkins in the role for all the later Batman films when it is likely the character will drop to the background again? My idea is that the rumor is a nice idea of what someone wanted then actual fact and will likely be disproved soon.

~rougerum

Sleuth

Isn't Alfred involved in some sort of...spy thing?  I thought I remembered something like that from the animated series
I like to hug dogs