Batman Begins

Started by ©brad, February 19, 2003, 01:10:29 PM

MacGuffin

Goer Blabs Batman
"Our movie is not Year One."

Ain't It Cool News chatted with Batman screenwriter David Goyer about The Dark Knight's big-screen return. "There were parts of the first and second films that I liked, but it was not, taking nothing away from [director Tim] Burton, there's never been Batman on film or TV that would be the Batman that I wanted," admits Goyer. "Except for the movie that we're doing. That's the Batman I want."

Goyer advised the site that he and director Chris Nolan "spent two days with [DC Comics president and publisher] Paul Levitz and the editorial staff of Batman, told them what we were proposing, and said, 'Is there anything that we're doing that you think is (wrong)?' I mean, we did stuff in Batman that has never been told before, but we didn't contradict anything."

The comics definitely influenced Goyer and Nolan's screenplay, particularly Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Dark Victory and The Long Halloween. "I think those were really good. And that approach influenced us. Our movie is not Year One, this or that, or any of those, but that approach did influence us," said Goyer. "Ours is definitely not [Frank] Miller. I'm not taking anything away from it, but it's definitely not Miller. All I can tell you is that DC was extremely happy."

Goyer got more specific when the issue of casting was brought up. "We were torn between [Christian] Bale and Jake Gyllenhaal, because we wanted to go in a different direction. But I think Bale at the end… I loved Jake, but Bale just seemed the right way. Knowing the story that we're telling… it's hard for everyone else because they don't know the story that we're telling, but it ultimately was the right way to go. And Michael Caine… I was just freaking out when we got Michael Caine."

The Blade filmmaker was mostly mum when asked about Batman's new costume. "Fans will like it. No nipples. No codpieces." And should fans expect another sequel after this installment? "We've set it up… the way it ends, there's clearly going to be another one."

For far more of what David Goyer had to say about Batman (as well as Superman and Blade: Trinity), check out AICN.

Finally, Batman-on-Film claims that "Guy Pearce will be Harvey Dent – IF he wants to do it." The site also adds that the likeliest contender to play Jim Gordon remains Dennis Quaid.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

According to Variety, The studio has chosen "Batman Begins" as the title of the fifth installment, described as an origins story of how billionaire Bruce Wayne becomes the Caped Crusader and faces his first foes in Gotham City.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffinAccording to Variety, The studio has chosen "Batman Begins" as the title of the fifth installment

I always loved the fact that they were starting from scratch, and ignoring the previous ones, but come on, they can do better than that. With "Returns" already taken, what's the sequel gonna be called? "Batman Continues"? They should've stuck with "Indimidation Game" (if that ever even was the title)
Reasons:
1) Breaking the old title structure signals a new start better than "Begins" in the title. It doesn't say "Die Hard 1" on the poster does it.

2) If this is the first of a bunch of sequels, people (me, at least) will eventually tire of names like "Batman Lives", "Batman Survives", "Batman Forgets" etc.

With the "Batman(colon)" kinda name, you could start with "Batman: Intimidation Game", then continue with the sequel which could be called "Batman: some thing really cool that doesn't have to be one word, but in fact a whole damn sentence if you like".

I have no idea of why I really feel this is important, but damn it, it is.

modage

begins is terrible.  how about atleast : the beginning?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I don't like any of those titles or any title that feels like a continuation of the old series by having it "Batman: blah blah". My suggestion is the simple, "The Shadow of the Bat". Its the name of one of the comics and suggests a new era of Batman storytelling.

Just Withnail

That would be great, in fact, or at least something to that effect. Why the hell did they lock themselves to the "Batman (something)" title pattern to begin with? What the hell does "Batman Forever" have to do with the movie anyway?

When do they start shooting?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

picolas

Verbing Batman 2: Noun-Island 3D

"Adjective! Interjection!"
- Ebert

"Movie Title verb in the past tense noun verbing!"
- Gene Shalit

Ghostboy

Holy shit, this movie is going to rule! Or at least the cast is. I hope Variety confirms this ASAP.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyI hope Variety confirms this ASAP.

How about Hollywood Reporter?

Gary Oldman is Gordon in Batman Begins
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Gary Oldman will star as Lt. Jim Gordon, detective on the Gotham police force, in Warner Bros.' Batman Begins. The film, which has begun production in Iceland, is directed by Christopher Nolan. It will also be filmed in London and Chicago.

He joins Christian Bale, cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as Wayne's trusted butler, Alfred; Katie Holmes as a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor Henri Ducard; and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinGary Oldman is Gordon in Batman Begins
OH.....MY.........GOD.....  :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatball

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MacGuffinGary Oldman is Gordon in Batman Begins
OH.....MY.........GOD.....  :shock:

Yay.

Derek

I wonder what it is about this project that is attracting these actors?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Just Withnail

So where do you think Nolan hid Schumachers body?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: WithnailSo where do you think Nolan hid Schumachers body?

Here might be a good place to start looking.