Alfie

Started by modage, August 26, 2004, 01:44:54 PM

modage

OFFICIAL SITE: http://www.alfiemovie.com/

Release Date: October 22nd, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Jude Law (Alfie), Marisa Tomei (Julie), Sienna Miller (Nikki), Susan Sarandon (Liz), Omar Epps (Marlon), Jane Krakowski (Dorie), Nia Long (Lonette), Graydon Carter, Anastasia Griffith (Chyna), Adoni Maropis (Farooz), Marjan Neshat (Lindy), Kevin Rahm (Terry), Finlay Robertson (Kev), Tara Summers (Carol), Renee Taylor, Gedde Watanabe (Mr. Wing), Jo Yang (Mrs. Wing)

Director: Charles Shyer ('Father of the Bride', 'Father of the Bride Part II', 'Baby Boom', 'The Affair of the Necklace')

Screenwriter: Elaine Pope (feature film debut) and Charles Shyer (cowriter of most of his films; plus 'Private Benjamin' and 'Smokey and the Bandit')

Based Upon: This is a remake of the 1966 romantic comedy, Alfie, which starred Michael Caine in one of his earliest roles in an American movie. The original 'Alfie' was based upon a novel of the same name, which was also adapted as a play. All three (the book, the play and the movie) were written by Bill Naughton.

Premise: This is the story of Alfie (Law), a sexually prolific Englishman living in New York City, who prides himself on his neverending ability to carry on affairs and one night stands with several women at once (sort of like the male equivalent of Samantha from HBO's 'Sex and the City'), and whome the audience gets to know via the use of scenes that "break the fourth wall", as Alfie talks directly to us. Alfie's care-free days threaten to come to an end, however, when one of his latest girlfriends gets pregnant... will the life of the ultimate playboy cad change now that parenthood potentially looms in his future?

TRAILER: http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/alfie/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

well, this film looks pretty silly...

i came across this today:

Cher's Song Dumped from 'Alfie'

Cher's new version of the title song for Jude Law's upcoming Alfie remake has reportedly been dropped, after test audiences laughed at the track. Although the song was made famous by soul veteran Dionne Warwick, it was Cher who actually recorded the theme for the original 1966 hit Alfie. But the new version is certainly no better than the last, say sources, who tell America's Star magazine, "Cher's version destroyed the mood created by the film's ending and ruined the movie for me. It's supposed to be a soft, emotional song. But it was way too Cher-ish." While Cher's representatives have no comment, sources say bosses at movie studio Paramount are hoping to land jazz sensation Norah Jones to record another version of the song.

OUCH! that's GOTTA hurt!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

From Cher to Norah Jones?

Jesus Christ is laughing at all of us.

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileJesus Christ is laughing at all of us.

Are you calling Charles Shyer our Savior?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Well... he did make those Father of the Bride movies...

MacGuffin

Par moves 'Alfie' bow to November

Paramount Pictures is moving its release of "Alfie" back two weeks, from Oct. 22 to Nov. 5, in order to avoid a crush of upcoming films targeted at female moviegoers.

"Alfie," a remake of the 1966 film that established Michael Caine as a star, toplines Jude Law as an unabashed womanizer. On Oct. 22, it would have faced off against DreamWorks' holiday comedy "Surviving Christmas," starring Ben Affleck, and Sony Pictures' thriller "The Grudge," starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

But then Fox Searchlight turned up the heat with plans to expand its "I Heart Huckabees," currently in limited release, on that date. When "Huckabees" opened Oct. 1 in four theaters in Los Angeles and New York, it earned the best per-screen average of the year to that date, a resounding $73,044 per theater. It will attempt to consolidate its appeal when it goes wider Oct. 22.

In addition, the weekend of Oct. 22 is now looking to play host to a potentially strong array of limited, specialty film openings. Even when those films are not in enough theaters to score big grosses, they still will be competing for attention in the press.

Fox Searchlight's "Sideways," from director Alexander Payne, opens Oct. 20. And the weekend also will play host to such new titles as IFC Films' "Sex Is Comedy," Sony Pictures Classics' "Lightening in a Bottle" and MGM/UA's "Undertow."

"Oct. 22 became incredibly crowded for the same audience. The addition of 'Huckabees' was the final straw," Paramount Motion Picture Group vice chairman Rob Friedman said. "We were looking at all these films targeting the female audience. We are very excited about this movie and saw this as an opportunity to present the film as adult counterprogramming to 'The Incredibles.' "

"The Incredibles," the other wide release set for Nov. 5, is the latest CG-animated offering from Pixar and Buena Vista.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

I thought this movie was pretty good, but nothing great. I haven't seen the original so I can't compare them. Jude Law's very good and there's some good songs by Mick Jagger. But it was a little too slow and the whole "young womanizer who can't commit" thing is getting kinda old in movies now.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."