Alexander

Started by MacGuffin, May 25, 2004, 07:58:59 PM

Pwaybloe

Everyone's made some great points about the film.  

I don't want to echo everyone else, because it seems like everyone is in the exact same mood as I am.  For the exact same reasons.

Some things not mentioned (SPOILERS):

1) Political Intrigue:  Stone really skimmed over the assasination conspiracy and Alexander's rise to power and influence.  The assasination plot alone could have been a movie itself.  Stuff like like this is in Stone's back pocket.  Aggravating.  

2) Editing:  Scenes went on way too long.  Most of them (except the battle scenes) should have been cut in half.  I hesitate to say that the movie should have been half as long, because it could have gone in a much more interesting direction (see above) with the time alotted.

3) Dialogue: Did anyone else think that everyone's words were coming directly out of Stone's mouth?  If you've ever seen or read his interviews, you'd know what I'm talking about.

4) King Phillip: Kilmer had the best character in the movie.  I wish they could have spent more time with him.  Great job.

5) Journey to India: This was the best part of the movie.  I loved the scene where Alexander was verbally fighting with his troops and generals about them wanting to go back home.  Stone did a great job of showing Alexander's breakdown and paranoia when he started confronting his men one by one in the crowd.  The battle itself was insane.  Excellent job of showing the Greek's fatigue and the alien prescence of the Indian army and "tanks."

Usually Stone (as well as Scorsese) can make a 3-hour movie fly by.  His movies always have complex plots, but come across so intriguing, you can't get up from your seat.  I guess that was what I was expecting.

©brad

i never thought i'd say this (or maybe i've said it before and just don't remember?) but i totally agree with GT and i'm glad to see him back around.

also, pwaybloe, i agree with all those points, especially the part about the dialogue.

El Duderino

this movie blew. i knew it from the opening credits. i walked out after the flashback from when phillip was murdered.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

in the spirit of the season, for anyone who is interested.  

i have a free pass to see Alexander from the Oliver Stone box set that i forgot to use when i went to see it.  so if anyone wants to see this movie, PM me and i will mail you the free pass.

SILIAS PM'd me first.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i have a free pass to see Alexander from the Oliver Stone box set that i forgot to use when i went to see it.  so if anyone wants to see this movie, PM me and i will mail you the free pass.

SILIAS PM'd me first.

I'll change your rank back for it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

'Alexander' opening not so great
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Conquering much of the world was a piece of cake for Alexander the Great. Conquering the North American box office is another thing.

"Alexander," director Oliver Stone's three-hour epic starring Irishman Colin Farrell as the youthful Macedonian warrior, opened at No. 6 with ticket sales of just $13.5 million for the three days beginning Friday.
Since opening Wednesday to get a jump-start on the Thanksgiving holiday, the film has earned $21.6 million. The independently financed film, a dream project of Stone's for 15 years, reportedly cost more than $150 million to make.

Nicolas Cage's action-adventure "National Treasure" was No. 1 for a second weekend with $33.1 million, followed by the animated superhero saga "The Incredibles" with $24.1 million. Both were distributed by Walt Disney Co., with the latter produced by Pixar Animation Studios Inc. "Christmas with the Kranks," a holiday comedy starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, opened at No. 3 with $22.7 million for the three days and a better-than-expected $32.0 million since its Wednesday bow. The film was distributed by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp..

"The Polar Express" held steady at No. 4 with $20.1 million in its third weekend, taking its total to $82.2 million. The Christmas cartoon was distributed by Warner Bros., which evenly split the $170 million production budget and marketing costs with real-estate heir Steve Bing.

Kids cartoon "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" fell three places to No. 5 with $17.8 million, for a 10-day total of $58.6 million. The film was distributed by Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.
WWPTAD?

cowboykurtis

i think the biggest problem with this film is oliviers lack of coke consumption -- his films usually have this frenzied energy - he needs to get back to the snow for his next endeavour
...your excuses are your own...

Thrindle

I was extremely disappointed with this film's delivery.  

The scale was tipped so heavily toward violence, and so lightly toward sexuality that it set the film off kilter.  The relationship between both Colin Farrel and Jared Leto was made irrelevent by it's lack of consumation.  The depth between them was skimmed over and therefore lost meaning.

This film would have benefitted from a little more integrity.
Classic.

cine

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think the biggest problem with this film is oliviers lack of coke consumption -- his films usually have this frenzied energy - he needs to get back to the snow for his next endeavour
It got like that at the very end but yeah, I think maybe if the whole movie was one big acid trip, it might've been nice.

Kal

This was simply a bad film... we all know how good Oliver Stone is and there is no doubt about that... but this movie sucks...

The story is already there... and its a great story... its not so difficult to make it right... or to fuck it up...

I think the casting was just wrong... I like all the actors but I couldnt really believe them playing those characters...

The dialogues were just 'blah' and the movie itself didnt maintain you interested... I saw a lot of people in the theatre constantly looking at the time... including myself... it was long and it didnt have to be

I was really looking forward to this movie for a while and now I'm dissapointed... I should have gone to see Kinsey  :?

MacGuffin

Lawyers Shelve 'Alexander' Lawsuit

Greek lawyers have shelved their lawsuit against the makers of epic film Alexander, who have claimed warrior Alexander The Great was bisexual. The furious lawyers had insisted the legendary conqueror was heterosexual, and threatened to sue film studio Warner Bros and director Oliver Stone unless a credit was added to the movie to make it clear actor Colin Farrell is portraying a fictional version. But now the legal team has retracted its request to delay the film's Greek opening last Friday, so they can watch a preview screening of it. Yannis Varnakos, spokesman for the 25 lawyers, says, "We would have reacted the same was if the issue didn't involve homosexuality. We just don't want a distortion of historical facts."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

Quote from: MacGuffin"We would have reacted the same was if the issue didn't involve homosexuality. We just don't want a distortion of historical facts."

Uhh... right.   :roll:
Classic.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin"We would have reacted the same was if the issue didn't involve homosexuality. We just don't want a distortion of historical facts."
So, they are not familar with any other of Oliver Stone's Flicks....hmmmm....hehehe
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

Although its absolutely obvious that the movie is as gay as it can be... I dont recall any specific moments when they confirm that he is gay... and the only 'sexual' scene in the movie is with a woman (Rosario)...

So what the hell are they complaining about? Its not that Alexander publicly said he was gay...