Tom Waits

Started by meatwad, June 20, 2003, 11:13:00 AM

meatwad

i have not been here long, but since i have been here i have not seen a thread for tom waits. He is my all time favorite, every album he puts out is a classic. Listen to Rain Dogs and your life will be changed

//www.thestate22.com

phil marlowe

WOO! first a topic on brazil and now this. i'm regaining my respect for you xixaxers.

tom waits is my favourite musician ever and i love ALL his albums, favorites must be swordfishthrombones, rain dogs and franks wild years but everything else is gold too. his latest three albums have all been masterpieces in my oppinion especially alice. i would die to see one of those wilson plays.

Mesh

Quote from: Phil Marlowetom waits is my favourite musician ever and i love ALL his albums, favorites must be swordfishthrombones, rain dogs and franks wild years but everything else is gold too. his latest three albums have all been masterpieces in my oppinion especially alice. i would die to see one of those wilson plays.

Plus, he was great as Renfield in Coppola's Dracula.

Sigur Rós

Me and 'Phil Marlowe' have had your share of whishey and Tom Waits. No, seriously I love this guy. I wouldn't say I'm a fan, cause I don't like all his work. Some of it is a little too....spooky. My favorites would be 'Small Change', 'Mule Variations' and 'Swordfish Trombone'.

phil marlowe

Quote from: MeshPlus, he was great as Renfield in Coppola's Dracula.
yeah, bugs and all...he really is a good actor. hes great in short cuts and down by law too.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: Phil Marlowetom waits is my favourite musician ever and i love ALL his albums, favorites must be swordfishthrombones, rain dogs and franks wild years but everything else is gold too. his latest three albums have all been masterpieces in my oppinion especially alice. i would die to see one of those wilson plays.

Plus, he was great as Renfield in Coppola's Dracula.

Hey check out 'Iron Weed' it's a really cool film. Waits and Nicholson are both really great.

children with angels

Yes!!!! The WAITS...!

Love the guy. Love him. So sad, yet so funny. One of the greatest voices you can possibly hear. I think Small Change is my favourite album, with The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me) being one of my favourite songs of all time.
Oh, the blues, the blues, the whisky-soaked, crooked-smile, lazy tune, heart-rending, smoke-filled, beautiful blues...

Quote from: Phil Marlowei would die to see one of those wilson plays.

Would Woyzek be one of the ones you're talking about? I saw it in London: superb. At one point they had a mechanical monkey singing in Tom's voice - magic...!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

phil marlowe

Quote from: children with angels
Quote from: Phil Marlowei would die to see one of those wilson plays.
Would Woyzek be one of the ones you're talking about? I saw it in London: superb. At one point they had a mechanical monkey singing in Tom's voice - magic...!
YES! ahh voyzeck...i remember wanting to see it sooo bad but nobody wanted to go with me and i didn't really wanted to go alone. i remember it getting crazy reviews, the critics really loved it. other wilson(is that his name???) would be the black rider and alice and more i guess. the next one will be premiering in denmark so i'm psyked.

cowboykurtis

riding with lady luck
...your excuses are your own...

life_boy

I picked up 'Small Change' for 3 bucks at a used CD shop and was very happy with it.  That is the only Tom I am familiar with.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: life_boyI picked up 'Small Change' for 3 bucks at a used CD shop and was very happy with it.  That is the only Tom I am familiar with.

It's a great place to start!

meatwad

everybody needs to own this album

filmcritic

I think that maybe my favorite two Tom Waits songs are "Alice" and "The World Keeps Turning" from "Pollock.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

kotte

I'm just getting into Waits and man, I fucking love him.

I'm not yet in the position to name favourite songs and albums but I just ordered Rain dogs and Swordfishtrombones.

There is something poetic about his music and voice...it gets under my skin and into my heart.

Doesn't happen too often.

Bethie

I fecking love Tom Waits.  Some people I know say he has the worst voice and then they proceeded to laugh. I didn't let it get to me though because I know I have superior taste.  :wink:
who likes movies anyway