Bubba Ho-Tep

Started by Xixax, January 11, 2003, 10:16:08 AM

Xixax

I've been a fan of the Phantasm series since I was a youngster. The Tall Man and Reggie and Mike all just fascinate me. Even the sequels, which most would consider cornball, all have a special place in my heart. I guess I'm sentimental. Phantasm was the first "R" rated movie that by big brother ever snuck me in to. I think I was about 13 at the time, and you can imagine how cool a guts and gore movie like that would be to a middle schooler.

Anyway, Coscarelli has a new film, and I can't wait to see it. The premise absolutely RULES! From what I understand, it goes like this... Elvis never died. He's living in an East Texas nursing home. He discovers that a demon is stealing the souls of the other nursing home residents by sucking it out of their assholes. Elvis and another resident then go on to do battle with the butt-sucking demon.

Man, I totally can't wait to see this!!!

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0281686

Rock on, Coscarelli!!!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

I've heard about this. My friend had a copy and said it was hilarious, but he had to give it back so I didn't get a chance to see it. Can't wait.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

RegularKarate

This movie's been around for a long time.  It's just never been properly distributed.  Just doing festivals and conventions and various Bruce Campbel events.

I still haven't had a chance to see it, but did ask Bruce Campbell about it a few months ago and he said it was one of his favorites that he's been in.

I also have a friend who saw it and said it was great.  Hope I get a chance to see it sometime.

modage

dying to see this movie...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/bubba_ho-tep/

its getting a somewhat limited release finally according to aicn.  also the official site says more cities coming soon.  thank god. otherwise it looks like i'll be driving up to nyc.

September 19 - SEATTLE - Landmark's Varsity Theater

September 19 - PORTLAND - Cinema 21 Theater

September 26 - NEW YORK CITY - Angelika Film Center

October 3 - LOS ANGELES - Landmark's Nuart Theater/ Irvine - University 6

October 3 - SAN DIEGO - Landmark's Ken Theater

October 10 - SAN FRANCISCO - The Castro Theater

October 17 - CHICAGO - Landmark's Century Centre Cinema  

October 24 - AUSTIN - (tentative- not yet confirmed with Tim at the Alamo)  

November 7 - ATLANTA
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Thank you for doing a search and finding a pre-existing thread before starting a new one, thus avoiding making me redirect it and mogwai locking it, like a certain member I know.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i do my best.  i fucked up the other day because the thread was so badly mistitled, but i try to keep your work to a minimum.  actually i didnt even do i search, because i remember having read through most of the damn threads and this one caught my eye.  so i remembered to go back to it, (although technically shouldnt it be in GRAPEVINE?) but, i cant wait.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mindfuck

Thanks man. Looks like I'll be catching that on Oct 3.

RegularKarate

I posted my thoughts on this after SXSW west, where I saw it with the director present.

It was what you would want from this film after you hear about it... I really liked it.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateI posted my thoughts on this after SXSW west, where I saw it with the director present.

It was what you would want from this film after you hear about it... I really liked it.

so jealous....turning green with envy. *(hulking out)

yeah, my girlfriends brother saw it in orlando with the director there whom he talked to for a minute or two.  but GET THIS!!! the bastard (who was going to school for film), has NOT SEEN PHANTASM, and was not particularly a bruce campbell fan!!! and he's seen the movie i've been reading about for over a year.  the bastard.

Raikus

Quote from: themodernage02yeah, my girlfriends brother saw it in orlando with the director there whom he talked to for a minute or two.  but GET THIS!!! the bastard (who was going to school for film), has NOT SEEN PHANTASM, and was not particularly a bruce campbell fan!!! and he's seen the movie i've been reading about for over a year.  the bastard.
Full Sail program?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

I went to Full Sail.

Raikus

Was going down there last year to see the final films (friend of a friend was completing the program). Didn't make it but I have seen some of the graduates work. Good stuff. Did you like it?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

yeah, he went to full sail.  the stuff i saw was pretty crappy.  it looked nice, but the storytelling was pretty shitty.  it was like shot nicely on film, but they clearly (because they were spending so much damn money on the film stock) didnt really have the time to use any creativity, nor coax any sort of decent performances out of their actors. they should have shot on DV and gotten something decent.

cinemanarchist

I'm at Full Sail right now and most of the student work is horrible. The screenwriting class is a month long and they refuse to grade you on content, so all you learn is format. For those who know screenwriting already, you don't learn anything, for those who don't know anything, they learn format. I still think this place is a ton of fun and there is more equipment here than at most film schools and it's much more hands on. I'm enjoying it but I'm sure it won't get me a job, you've got to do that on your own.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

cinemanarchist

oh and i was at that orlando screening. What a great fucking movie...everyone go see it if you can. "Must be some kinda, Bubba Ho-Tep"
My assholeness knows no bounds.