Panic Room

Started by Xixax, January 12, 2003, 08:39:29 PM

Xixax

So, am I the only one who was sorely disappointed in this?

After Seven and Fight Club, I guess my hopes were astronomical.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

picolas

i really enjoyed it for the suspenceful, fun movie that it was. it wasn't fight club. but nothing is fight club.

Jeremy Blackman

I thought it was well-made, suspenseful, and fun... but, especially compared to Fincher's other movies, completely shallow.

Duck Sauce

I wasnt disapointed because I wasnt expecting much. It was good for what it was, a fun movie. If I were a director, I would probably do just fun movies every once in awhile so I am not always so involved in deep subjects that can often be depressing. Still wish Nicole Kidman would have been in it.  :lol:

budgie

Don't agree, DS, I'm glad Foster took over. Kidman would have done the skittish, jittery thang and made it another trapped helpless woman story in the most usual sense, whereas at least Foster brings a kind of other potential to the film, even if the narrative is essentially run of the mill.

But yeah, I was disappointed by Panic Room. It lacked energy somehow. Never convinced of the danger cause the guys were so unthreatening. Brilliant ending, though. I thought it was good, but was constantly thinking 'more, more...'. So many films like this pull their punches.

Duck Sauce

I was just joking, I just like to look at Nicole Kidman.

Xixax

The scene or two where he did the CGI fly-through thing in classic Fincher style wasn't even that great in this movie. Overused. Been there, done that. Move along now.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pedro

QuoteThe scene or two where he did the CGI fly-through thing in classic Fincher style wasn't even that great in this movie. Overused. Been there, done that. Move along now.

Especially the flashlight...what was the point of that?
Oh well... I did however like the one that goes through the house and then back up the stairs...liked it.

Jeremy Blackman

That reminded me of the Fight Club apartment scene (with the fridge and stuff), except it wasn't artificial enough to be taken as a kind of stylistic joke. Maybe if he pumped it up a little more, I would have liked it. With a funny sound effect or something when the camera goes through the keyhole.

RegularKarate

Yeah...  a tad disapointed... liked the movie, but definately a let down from Fincher.

Hopefully this isn't a downhill from Seven type of thing.

Gold Trumpet

I had no hopes at all for this movie and so I wasn't dissapointed but it was a minor effort only by a director that is good, but very overrated. Minor because he has such a simple and basic story that even doing it good is nothing really that great at all. If the movie made an effort to be about something more, then things could have been different. But my assumption is that the movie was trying to be like Riffi in capturing every intense moment of a major situation and thats it. Riffi is the greatest of the heist films mainly for its half hour or more dedication to the actual heist down to all the small little details of it. The difference is though that Riffi had a lot more to the movie while this movie was trying to get off on just the single experience of trying to steal money only with very little outside storywise.

~rougerum

Anonymous

Gold Trumpet

forgive my french

~rougerum

Anonymous

It's true, I was a bit disappointed. The man built himself up so much with Se7en and Fight Club, but I still enjoyed "Panic Room". If you don't affiliate it with expectations, it really is one of the better films of that year. But what was up with that last scene? Am I the only one who thinks it should have ended on that really climactic shot of Jodie Foster? And those opening credits? For a guy who's always put so much effort and thought into his opening credits, Fincher sure gave up on that one. I mean, it looked like he used some second rate 3d animation software to pull that one off.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: AnonymousIt's true, I was a bit disappointed. The man built himself up so much with Se7en and Fight Club,

I agree, those movies are tough to live up to, and I think he is a tad overrated (STILL GREAT THOUGH CBRAD  :wink:   )  But I maybe he just wanted to do something for fun this time,.