Alexander

Started by MacGuffin, May 25, 2004, 07:58:59 PM

NEON MERCURY

i havent seen this yet but i still cant believe that this film could even remotley be considered "bad".  
maybe people just dont like stone...

Quote from: samsong

Quote from: Pedro the AlpacaFuck Baz.

but yea, fuck Baz.

fuck  baz...

SiliasRuby

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

Quote from: samsong

Quote from: Pedro the AlpacaFuck Baz.

but yea, fuck Baz.

fuck  baz...
But how about just the word fuck....? :lol:
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Stone Hopes Europe Will Like 'Alexander'

Filmmaker Oliver Stone, whose "Alexander" got a lukewarm reception from critics in America, said Thursday he thought the three-hour epic would get a better welcome in Europe.

Stone visited the Stockholm International Film Festival to pick up a lifetime achievement award and promote "Alexander," which was having its European premiere in Stockholm.

"I think one of the reasons I am being honored here in Sweden is that (Europeans) tend to see me a little differently than they do in the U.S.," Stone told reporters.

He said the film "is not an easy movie, but then I've never made easy movies." His previous films include "JFK," "Born on the Fourth of July" and "Platoon."

Stone said the timing of the award gave him a reason to escape media attention surrounding Wednesday's U.S. premiere of "Alexander," which chronicles the life of the ancient warrior-king Alexander the Great. The film's depiction of Alexander as bisexual has come under particular scrutiny.

"To be here is a delight," Stone said. "Lifetime achievement awards don't come and go. ... I may make better films yet, or I may not. This is a moment of my life that I'd just like to pause and enjoy."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: pitbullWhy'd you see this in the first place, mod?
because its oliver stone and he's done enough good that i thought it would be worth checking out.  i liked u turn and any given sunday even, so i really had never had a problem with stone before this film.  

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi havent seen this yet but i still cant believe that this film could even remotley be considered "bad".  
maybe people just dont like stone..
well i dont know about other people, but not me.  i like stone and have always liked what i've seen of his films until this one.  so you can believe it or be in denial, but the films bad.  baz's would've kicked the pants off this film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

alright, not that it's really relevant, but for many a reasons, oliver stone (not pta or anyone else) has remained my favorite filmmaker. i say this because it's been over four years since any given sunday and i've been impatiently awaiting for another stone movie. so, i was without a doubt the most excited person sitting in my theater.

now then

first off, i wish i saw the damn thing alone, and when i say that i mean with no one else in the theater, b/c seeing this movie in god damn south carolina, where even the hint of a homosexual relationship results in giggles, boos, and walk outs, was infuriating.

i was amazed at how subdued this movie was. it really didn't feel like oliver stone to me. i was thinking "this is total ridley scott" or sumthing. i think the negative reviews are quite exaggerated, which is to be expected from any oliver stone movie.

this film is undeniably ambitious, and you have to give stone props for that. he takes on big projects that other directors wouldn't dare touch. with this one tho i felt a bit lost. the film gives us so much information while at the same time gives us so little. i never understood really why alexander really wanted to keep going east. also, his relationship with his mother left me with many a questions. but maybe that's a good thing.

and why all the negative talk about rosario dawson? i thought she was great, and without a doubt nailed her accent better than the rest of them.

Stefen

Quote from: ©bradYou have to give stone props. he takes on big projects that other directors wouldn't dare touch.

Baz Luhrman would have directed the shit out of this movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

I think it's funny that most of the negative criticism, as evidenced by Stone's own desire for a better opening in Europe, is focusing on the bisexual issue when there is so much else to loathe about this film. I'm sure any lack of success will be written off by STone as "Red State Americanism". WHich surely will play a role, but that's not why I don't like it.

It's not horrible by any means, but's it's a very bad Oliver Stone movie, and a mediocre film at best.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

modage

Quote from: ©bradand why all the negative talk about rosario dawson? i thought she was great, and without a doubt nailed her accent better than the rest of them.
she without a doubt nailed something, but it wasnt her accent.

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: ©bradYou have to give stone props. he takes on big projects that other directors wouldn't dare touch.

Baz Luhrman would have directed the shit out of this movie.
:yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

please. it's impossible to make a statement like that. if baz had made his movie first, i guaren-goddam-tee ppl would have been saying "oliver stone would've directed the shit out of this movie."

and fuck baz.

Stefen

Quote from: ©bradplease. it's impossible to make a statement like that. if baz had made his movie first, i guaren-goddam-tee ppl would have been saying "oliver stone would've directed the shit out of this movie."

and fuck baz.

You sound more like an Oliver Stone fanboy than anything else. I guaren-goddam-tee you Baz's version would have been better.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Thrindle

Quote from: themodernage02there was A LOT of homosexuality in this film.
Yes yes yes!  Bring it on!!!!
Classic.

Ghostboy

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi havent seen this yet but i still cant believe that this film could even remotley be considered "bad".  
maybe people just dont like stone....

I , too, love Stone, and even really liked Any Given Sunday and U-Turn. That I'm a fan of his work made me appreciate Alexander more, but it didn't make it a better movie. BTW, my full review is here.

Man, I'd have hated to see it in a theater full of rednecks. That would piss me off so much. Stone said there was supposed to be more homosexuality in the film (actual sex scenes, as opposed to just a lot of hugging), but he had to make changes to get it funded. Stupid conservatives. I still think it's a pretty progressive film, sexually.

Quote from: ©bradplease. it's impossible to make a statement like that. if baz had made his movie first, i guaren-goddam-tee ppl would have been saying "oliver stone would've directed the shit out of this movie."

Exactly. There's no telling whether or not Baz would make a better movie or not. You always want what you can't have, and in this case we all just want a good movie. Before seeing this, I would have put my money on Stone making a better Alexander film, but he didn't and it wasn't for lack of trying. Baz could have just as easily failed.

©brad

thank you.

stone, angelina jolie and colin farrell were on charlie rose last night. you could tell how all three of them were annoyed by rose, especially stone. some interesting stuff to note tho-

- stone became a french citizen b/c much of the budget was subsidized with french money. in fact, the majority of the budget was funded by european companies, not warner bros. stone said that this movie would have never been made in the US, and that studio executives are ruining movies.

- stone expressed his admiration for peter jackson, claiming that he loved LOTR. rose asked him abot cgi for the battle scenes. stone said the digital work in LOTR was great, but because it was fantasy jackson got away with a lot more than he could have. he said the only digital shots with the battle scenes were the wide overhead shots. all others were shot with real men.

Gold Trumpet

For me, Oliver Stone is the best American filmmaker of the last two decades and sadly, this film was a major dissapointment. I have no reason to believe Baz Lurhmann would do any better than this. A style fest, sure, but I'll give Oliver Stone credit on this: he brought his perspective of vision to this film that is unique in itself. This is not just a film about a would-be conquerer in search of everything and failing, but a child in search of love from everyone around him to just feel like he is important and needed. Its an interesting one considering the usual fable most people give about Alexander the Great. This Alexander is trying not to be the belligerant ruler his father typified, but to be unique, to be humane. Its just in the end he can't because he can't get past the fact he's a warrior first and its impossible to really bring all cultures together.

That being said, this film lacked the spirit of innovation and fire that Oliver Stone usually brings and should have brought to a story like this. This film could have been just as complicated in filmmaking as JFK and perfect, but it was told mostly straightforward, allowing for many scenes and points to just drag on. I would have appreciated a tighter focus on the story and theme of this Alexander than a need to show all the major points in his life as well. Not necessary. Still, I liked the film and appreciated what the film was trying to do but when Oliver Stone is given this much freedom for such a canvas, I sorta expect the world from him.

Also, I had to review this film! A fucking must!