Seven...Favorite Animated Films...or shorts...

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 31, 2003, 08:55:58 PM

NEON MERCURY

I like these....

waking life
alice in wonderland
the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe(the old version.. not the "newer" cheesed out one ..and also, someone really needs to do an update on this ..it could be cool if done right IMO..)
the lion king
toy story
finding nemo
final fantasy-the spirits within(so damn cool how they did it..looked real IMO)

what about you.....

Cecil

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
fritz the cat

....i have seen this at stores under the "avant garde"" cinema ..whats it like and what makes it avante -garde...?

Cecil

hes x-rated and hes animated

do you know ralph bakshi?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented

do you know ralph bakshi?

not at all.... :yabbse-huh: ...

Raikus

Spirited Away
Cowboy Bebop the Movie
Akira
The Last Unicorn (childhood favorite)
Secret of Nihm
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The Silver Bullet

01. The Jungle Book [1967 | Wolfgang Reitherman]
02. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi [2001 | Hayao Miyazaki]
03. Monsters Inc. [2001 | Peter Docter]
04. Fantasia [1940 | Various]

Does Who Framed Roger Rabbit? count?
If so, it would be up there as number five.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

rustinglass

1. Spirited Away
2. What's Opera, Doc?
3. Mononoke Hime
4. Fantasia
5. Rabbit of Seville
6. A Suspeita
7. Shreck
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Find Your Magali

My list would have all the usual suspects (Monsters Inc., Aladdin, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Chicken Run, Spirited Away)...

But the one bizarre wild-card would be the 1974 version of "Jack and the Beanstalk," written by Peter J. Solmo and directed by Gisaburo Sugii. If you saw it as a kid, it probably stayed with you. It's an acid-trip of a musical, in which Jack and his dog head up the beanstalk and deal with a witch and a giant, a royal family that's been turned into mice and a princess who's been put under a spell.

Freaky, fun stuff.

Vile5

"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Alexandro

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
(if anybody didn't like this movie I would like to know why cause I just don't understand the criticism...beautiful movie + beautiful animation...what's not to like?)
The Jungle Book (the cooles funkiest of all disney classics)
The Lion King
Finding Nemo (magic on screen)
Alice in Wonderland (the best lsd and mushroom trip I have yet to experience on real life)
Pinocchio
Spirited Away

Duck Sauce

ill keep it feature length, and ill also exceed the limit

Finding Nemo
Brave Little Toaster
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Spirited Away
The Lion King
Bon Voyage Charlie Brown
Alice in Wonderland
Song of the South
The Chipmunk Adventure

ShanghaiOrange

1. The entire Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner canon
2. Brave Little Toaster (Best "Hero With 1000 Faces" retelling ever)
3. The Iron Giant
4. Yellow Submarine
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURYthe lion, the witch, and the wardrobe(the old version.. not the "newer" cheesed out one ..and also, someone really needs to do an update on this ..it could be cool if done right IMO..)
Are you talking about this or this?

I have the former and its companions on DVD, and I've always loved them.  They've diminished in appeal over the years though, as they're slow paced and the special effects leave a lot to be desired.  So if I ever become a successful filmmaker, I'd like to remake all seven of them as a sort of miniseries.  Kind of give them the LotR treatment.

But holy fleurking schnit, this just in:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, scheduled for 2004.  Looks like someone beat me to the idea.

And me, if I had to list seven favorites, I'd say:
[list=1]
  • Waking Life
  • Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown!  (And don't come back!)
  • Robin Hood
  • Finding Nemo
  • Monsters, Inc.
  • Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown!
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit[/list:o]

Ghostboy

Seven picks is kinda tough....kinda arbitrary, eh? So after throwing that number away....

I love Pinnochio, Monsters Inc, The Little Mermaid, Robin Hood, Beauty And The Beast (as far as Disney goes), The Iron Giant, Princess Mononoke, Grave Of The Fireflies, Waking Life, Alice In Wonderland (I need to see more Svenkmeyer), The Secret Adventures Of Tom Thumb, and many more that I can't think of at the moment. Animated movies are so wide-reaching that they're hard to categorize together. I'm glad the Academy started the Best Animated feature category...now hopefully, last year's award is the beginning of a trend, and they'll actually continue to give the award to the BEST film, rather than the one that makes the most money. The fact that Waking Life wasn't even nominated in 2001 was infuriating. Jimmy Neutron? Please.