Dirs NOT to add

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:53:42 PM

Sleuth

Actually, I think it's because you act so disgusted at certain films with explicit content yet you had a sexual position as part of your username and that's just silly
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

I don't think he was disgusted with the content, he was just making the point that the content ain't that deep.

Which is the truth.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Hey, I don't like Larry Clark either

Don't ever add Clark

But I was thinking more of his severe hatred for Solondz.
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Oh.

Hey, y'know what? I've never actually seen a Solondz film. Are they that messed up?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

A little bit

Imagine a darker than usual dark comedy
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

Quote from: tremoloslothActually, I think it's because you act so disgusted at certain films with explicit content yet you had a sexual position as part of your username and that's just silly

So, he's saying that since I am not offended by a sexual position...I should love and embrace Solondz's films...oooook.

I didn't express any disgust for the naked young girls...I just mentioned them as one of the two running elements of larry clark's films. I didn't mention Solondz or any of his films the quote that P replied to.

And as for being disgusted by Solondz films...I'm not the only one who's a little uncomfortable watching a 11 year old kid getting drugged with intentions of rape...so whatever. And besides, I'm not disturbed by the guy's films anymore...I'm just bored of them now. Shows how complex his films are...take out the shock value and you've got: a bunch of actors channeling solondz's anger with...well, everything. Save me a fucking seat!

So, when sexual positions are as contreversial and disturbing as pedophiles and the rape of adolescent boys...I'll apologize for the utter irony between my username and my taste. I refuse to believe that the number '69' is half as offensive as ANYTHING in a Solondz film.

Ernie

Quote from: tremoloslothA little bit

Imagine a darker than usual dark comedy

Oh yeah, and then a guy fucks a couple kids...

and a bunch of other people get raped and killed and whatnot. It's all really great.

*footnote: no, I am not one of those naive people that think rape shouldn't be depicted in film and shields their eyes everytime the word is even said. It can be done right (clockwork orange). But when it's done for comedy, count me out.

MrBurgerKing

who's that woman in your avatar, ebeaman?

you guys shouldn't give ebeaman such a hard time all because he doesn't like films which deal with the raping of pre-adolescent boys.

Ernie

Quote from: MrBurgerKingwho's that woman in your avatar, ebeaman?

you guys shouldn't give ebeaman such a hard time all because he doesn't like films which deal with the raping of pre-adolescent boys.

Thank you. I hope your not just patronizing me, cause Todd Solondz is definitely not for everybody and people MUST realize that. He is an acquired taste.

And that beautiful angel in my avatar is Audrey Tautou. See Amelie now if you haven't.

Jeremy Blackman

ebeaman gets picked on when pubrick is in a bad mood. It's just what happens.

Sleuth

Quote from: ebeaman
*footnote: no, I am not one of those naive people that think rape shouldn't be depicted in film and shields their eyes everytime the word is even said. It can be done right (clockwork orange). But when it's done for comedy, count me out.

Actually, this is how I viewed you, but if you say so
I like to hug dogs

children with angels

I think the rape in Clockwork Orange is supposed to be a little funny too (the huge modern art penis?)... Actually, I would argue that the audience is asked to identify more with the rapist in Clockwork (because he then becomes a victim of the system) than with the father in Happiness... Also, the notion of the paedophilia being 'played for laughs' is a bit strange: no one is asking you to laugh at the fact that this guy is a paedophile. It's supposed to be unbelievably sad and distressing and worrying (your reaction proves that it is this)... There are funny moments in the film, but I think they're mostly unnassociated with that storyline.

I'm not attacking you, and I guess this is pointless because you're never gonna like the film - that's cool... I found Happiness one of the most difficult films to watch I've ever seen too - I wanted to turn it off a number of times, but I stuck with it and have come to the opinion that I think it's a very important movie. I'm glad someone is doing what Todd Solondz is doing...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

cowboykurtis

Quote from: children with angelsI think the rape in Clockwork Orange is supposed to be a little funny too (the huge modern art penis...

i think they may have been referring to the rape scene of the writer's wife -- i didn't find that too funny.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think they may have been referring to the rape scene of the writer's wife -- i didn't find that too funny.

youd be surprised, ive been to showings where people do actually laugh. hes dancing and singing!

SoNowThen

I always chuckle...