Academy Award nominations

Started by MacGuffin, February 11, 2003, 07:52:16 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: redlumThe Wild Thornberrys song (although I love Paul Simon) instead of Jon Brions song from PDL.

"Here We Go" wasn't used in "Punch-Drunk Love" and thus was ineligible.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Good News: Michael Moore is going to win an Oscar. I can't wait for his speech. Talk to Her getting nominated for screenplay & director, although you know it's just going to come in last place, without even a foreign nomination. Meryl Streep & Chris Cooper for Adaptation, although we all know Streep had a leading performance.

Bad News: No PDL, no PTA, no Sandler. LOTR, Chicago, Michael Caine, the Holocaust movie, Michael Caine, Road to Perdition, LOTR. So predictable overall. So predictable.

I have high hopes for our nominations. Maybe they will be revealed today!

Tommy Both

Go Holland go Holland, it's your birthday!

Haha , some shitty movie outta me country got a nod, I was drinking some water and sprayed that shit all over the room when I saw it had a foreign film nomination, couldn't believe it.. Because I didn't even see it; it's some shitty romance pic, only good thing about it, is that it's shot in cinemascope.. Guess I'll rent it sometime, but definitely not a deserved nomination- although still fuckin unbelievable funny... (the flick is entitled "Zus en Zo" and I heard Hollywood was planning on doing a remake... what's new  :? ...)

BonBon85

Wow, this is the first year when I haven't seen any of the best picture nominations. I wonder if this says something about my laziness or about the quality of the films they chose.

bonanzataz

For one thing, why do the oscars hate PTA? For another thing, Road To Perdition wasn't best picture good. Amazing cinematography and a few good parts, but overall it just didn't do it for me.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

25th hour and spike lee are also unfairly ignored. they deserve to be there more than road to perdition

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBad News: the Holocaust movie

Don't write it off as just that. "The Pianist" is much more and deserves all the nominations it received, and, in fact, would be my pick to win Best Picture.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: Duck SauceI wont be watching the Oscars this year

Yeah right.

RK- totally agree - why Adaptation is in the best adapted screenplay category I have no idea. I think it's the most "original" screenplay to come out of Hollywood in some time.

Cecil

i havent watched the oscars in 2 years.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBad News: the Holocaust movie

Don't write it off as just that. "The Pianist" is much more and deserves all the nominations it received, and, in fact, would be my pick to win Best Picture.

I was kidding (I hope), and that's just my lame excuse for not having seen it.  :oops:

Satcho9

The fact that Jon Brion wasn't nominated for Best Score is an injustice.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Satcho9The fact that Jon Brion wasn't nominated for Best Score is an injustice.

Lots of people that saw the movie thought that the score was intrusive and hated it. The academy is there to please the audiences of the popular movies so people can think they're film buffs.

Just kidding, sometimes the academy does good things. It's fun to watch, anyway.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

2003 BAFTA AWARDS
Winners in bold

Best Supporting Actress
Toni Collette, About a Boy
Queen Latifah, Chicago
Julianne Moore, The Hours
Meryl Streep, Adaptation
Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago

Best Supporting Actor
Chris Cooper, Adaptation
Ed Harris, The Hours
Aldred Molina, Frida
Paul Newman, Road to Perdition
Christopher Walken, Catch Me If You Can

Best Actress
Halle Berry, Monster's Ball
Salma Hayek, Frida
Nicole Kidman, The Hours
Meryl Streep, The Hours
Renée Zellweger, Chicago

Best Actor
Adrien Brody, The Pianist
Nicolas Cage, Adaptation
Michael Caine, The Quiet American
Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York
Jack Nicholson, About Schmidt

Best Adapted Screenplay
Peter Hedges / Chris Weitz / Paul Weitz, About a Boy
Charlie Kaufman / Donald Kaufman, Adaptation
Jeff Nathanson, Catch Me If You Can
David Hare, The Hours
Ronald Harwood, The Pianist

Best Original Screenplay
Carlos Cuaró / Alfonso Cuarón, And Your Mother Too
Steven Knight, Dirty Pretty Thing
Jay Cocks / Steven Zaillian / Kenneth Lonergan, Gangs of New York
Peter Mullan, The Magdalene Sisters
Pedro Almodóvar, Talk to Her

Best Music
John Williams, Catch Me If You Can
Danny Elfman / John Kander / Fred Ebb, Chicago
Howard Shore, Gangs of New York
Philip Glass, The Hours
Wojciech Kilar, The Pianist

Best Director
Rob Marshall, Chicago
Martin Scorsese, Gangs of New York
Steven Daldry, The Hours
Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Roman Polanski, The Pianist

Best Picture
Chicago
Gangs of New York
The Hours
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Pianist

Best British Picture
Bend it Like Beckham
Dirty Pretty Thing
The Hours
The Magdalene Sisters
The Warrior

Best Foreign Language Picture
And Your Mother Too
City of God
Devdas
Talk to Her
The Warrior

Cinematography
CHICAGO  Dion Beebe
GANGS OF NEW YORK  Michael Ballhaus
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS  Andrew Lesnie
THE PIANIST  Pawel Edelman
ROAD TO PERDITION  Conrad L Hall

Production Design
CHICAGO  John Myhre
GANGS OF NEW YORK  Dante Ferretti
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS  Stuart Craig
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS  Grant Major
ROAD TO PERDITION  Dennis Gassner

Costume Design
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN  Mary Zophres
CHICAGO  Colleen Atwood
FRIDA  Julie Weiss
GANGS OF NEW YORK  Sandy Powell
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS  Ngila Dickson/Richard Taylor

Editing
CHICAGO  Martin Walsh
CITY OF GOD (Cidade de Deus) Daniel Rezende
GANGS OF NEW YORK  Thelma Schoonmaker
THE HOURS  Peter Boyle
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS  Michael Horton

Sound
CHICAGO Michael Minkle/Dominick Tavella/David Lee/Maurice Schell
GANGS OF NEW YORK Tom Fleischman/Ivan Sharrock/Eugene Gearty/Philip Stockton
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS David Randall Thom/Dennis Leonard/John Midgley/Ray Merrin/Graham Daniel/Rick Kline
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS Ethan van Der Ryn/David Farmer/Michael Hopkins/Hammond Peek/Christopher Boyes/Michael Semanick/Michael Hedges
THE PIANIST Jean-Marie Blondel/Dean Humphreys/Gérard Hardy

Achievement in Special Visual Effects
GANGS OF NEW YORK Bruce Steinheimer/Michael Owens/Edward Hirsh/Jon Alexander
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS Jim Mitchell/Nick Davis/John Richardson/Bill George/Nick Dudman
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS Jim Rygiel/Joe Letteri/Randall William Cook/Alex Funke
MINORITY REPORT Scott Farrar/Michael Lantieri/Nathan Nathan McGuinness/Henry LaBounta
SPIDER-MAN John Dykstra/Scott Stokdyk/John Frazier/Anthony LaMolinara

Make up & Hair
CHICAGO  Jordan Samuel/Judi Cooper Sealy
FRIDA  Judy Chin/Beatrice De Alba/John Jackson/Regina Reyes
GANGS OF NEW YORK  Manlio Rocchetti/Aldo Signoretti
THE HOURS  Ivana Primorac/Conor O'Sullivan/Jo Allen
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Not bad actually. Although Christopher Walken winning over Chris Cooper for best supporting actor is not really kosher...

Redlum

A really touching acceptance speech for Conrad Hall by Daniel Craig.

Charlie and Donald Kaufman wrote a really funny acceptance speech for Meryl Streep to read and managed to mess it up..

"I'd like to Spank....ok.... thank Spike Jonze"

QuoteAward winner Saul Zaentz used his acceptance speech to criticise George W Bush.

Zaentz, whose production credits have included One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, won a Bafta fellowship at the Orange British Academy Awards.

He criticised government for the few by the few and told guests: "In the words of Martin Luther King, we shall overcome."

This had everyone standing for applause.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas