HDV

Started by Redlum, May 09, 2005, 05:15:06 PM

Ghostboy

I think it would be wise to at least wait until the end of the year before getting another camera. Even if the XL-3 isn't out yet, there'll be clearer signs of where HDV is going. It's in it's infancy now, but in all likelihood it'll become standardized and take over normal miniDV the same way miniDV took over Hi-8.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RegularKarateWhy were you using it if "video looks like shit"?

I was using it because my roommate owns one. Usually new technology improves upon older technology. So I thought "maybe this won't look like shit - or at least won't look AS shitty." So, I picked it up and used it for a few mintues, and my opinion stands.
...your excuses are your own...

RegularKarate

Ha!

I picked up a scalpel the other day for a few minutes, but once I tried to perform open-heart surgery with it, I lost the patient... I have come to the decision that scalpels are shit.

meatball

Quote from: RegularKarateHa!

I picked up a scalpel the other day for a few minutes, but once I tried to perform open-heart surgery with it, I lost the patient... I have come to the decision that scalpels are shit.

:lol:

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RegularKarateHa!

Let me explain further good sir. I knew the pd-150 very well - have shot with it many times and found it an unsatisfactory format  - So, with Sony's HDV I was able to quickly evaluate what had changed from the PD-150 - for better or worse.  My opinion stayed the same - I don't think it's a good format.

So to answer your condecending post. No, I didn't just pick it up and hit some buttons and make an uneducated decision that it was shit.
...your excuses are your own...

RegularKarate

Video isn't for everyone... though it seems to be good enough for Lynch.

Reinhold

Quote from: ®edlumHas anyone given any of the new HDV cameras a go yet? Im contemplating shooting a short this summer with one of the new Sony cameras and although Ive done hours of research I still have my doubts. Will my pc be able to handle it? If I rent the camera where do I stand on exporting back to tape at the end of the edit?

If anyones been able to use this format yet I'd be grateful to hear your experiences.

you could burn it to DVD from your PC and then take it to a transfer/ duplication company.

i've used the new prosumer sony cameras... they're what the TV station had when we were producing the Dope Banana Show.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

jigzaw

Anyone used the XL-H1 yet?

Recce

Quote from: md on May 11, 2005, 09:09:49 AM
in response to editing, if the film is good no one will care what its edited on, theyll be asking how you got such a good performance out of your lead, secondly my friend has the new sony hdv cam...and although its pretty impressive looking I must say it seems like a waste at this point.  Hd hasnt really been standardized yet and he said that he couldnt even import it into fcpHD....but fcp5 should take care of that.  But I'd go with the dvx100a if I were you....or wait till the hvx200 comes out.  

http://panasonic.biz/sav/p2/

I know this thread is pretty much done with, but I need info, dammit! You say your friend couldn't import into FCP HD? Care to elaborate? I ask cause I shot a project in October and, stupid me, it didn't occur to me till after the shoot that I would need either the HDV camera or deck to capture the footage. heh heh. So I'm waiting on the camera to capture everything. You're vague reference to problems with FCP HD frighten and anger me. Please tell me more.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

md

hdv in my opinion, is just cheap hd.  It meets the standard for "hd", although there are alot of technical bs problems with the sony hdrfx1 that video nerds alike will bitch about.  In the end it really just comes down to whether you got it or ya dont...and i'm not talking about the camera.  Granted this post is soley on hdv so to answer your question, fcp 5, the newest updated version should be ok to import hdv.   My friend was using 4.5, which didn't have the update that apple included to allow for use with hdv.  Hope that helps. md
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche