Who's a musician?

Started by Gamblour., September 11, 2005, 10:44:56 PM

Gamblour.

Who here's a musician? What do you play? How long?

I've played drums for 8 years, bass for 6, guitar for 2. I was in band throughout middle/high school and know a good bit about drum corps and classical and theory. Not too much though.

It's a basic question, and I couldn't find any topics about it.
WWPTAD?

modage

i've played drums for 9 years, but i havent played much in the past 4.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I've played guitar for about eleven years, and play (with varying degrees of ineptitude) bass, piano, mandolin, sitar, and harmonica.  I'm like Beck, minus all the extra talent.
My house, my rules, my coffee

i played the guitar but it all ended tragically at a contest in front of my mom. i think my problem was that i started too old.
context, context, context.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've been playing bass for 2 years, but didn't really apply myself the first year... So just one year on that, I would say.  I like making techno... not just pasting loops, but dissecting them, restructuring the beats... making it more complicated.

I don't really call myself a musician because I know I'm not that talented, but I make tunes that I enjoy listening to.

I also played trumpet for 4 years.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Brazoliange

percussion, bass clarinet
Long live the New Flesh

ono

I used to play viola when I was younger, and am just now starting to learn how to play piano.

matt35mm

I'm learning the guitar.  And I sing.

It'll be a while before I become a musician, but I absolutely intend on becoming one in the near future.

Gamblour.

Wow I knew there would be musicians on here, no one ever really talks about it.

I think I've got a good gift for listening to something and then figuring it out immediately, I don't even need to have the song playing, I can hear the notes in my head. But I'm not very good at guitar, I'm trying to get a lot better, but I've sort of plateaued. I too want to be a musician. Really, I just want to sing and play at the same time. I'm working my ass off on Across the Universe, but that shit's hard.

I took a class on piano at school here. But that's as much as I can say. I can navigate it.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Quote from: GamblourWow I knew there would be musicians on here, no one ever really talks about it.

Check out the "Art Gallery" section; a few people (including myself) have their music posted in there.

Quote from: GamblourReally, I just want to sing and play at the same time.

When you're starting out, try it with songs with very simple rhythms (for me it was Nirvana songs).  "Across the Universe" is actually a pretty good one for that, disregarding the intro guitar part.  Ultimately you get to the point where you can focus primarily on singing, and your hands know what to do on their own.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

Piano. Sort of. I have my good days. I have the same trouble, though, of playing and singing at the same time, unless the timing is exactly the same on both.

I tried learning guitar several times and never quite made it. Bass too. I can still pick either up and pluck or strum random bits of simplicity, but I can't play them.

I can't play the drums for the life of me, and this extends to maintaining rhythm when I play the piano. It feels right when I play it, but when I listen to it it starts drifting. I have very little inner syncopation.

picolas

i'm an ex-drummer/trumpeter/choir.

Ravi

Played the sax in middle school.  That's about it for my musical talents, though I like playing around with drums when I can.

Reinhold

i own a guitar, but i don't even know a chord. i think i'm gonna sell it and try to get a bass again. or at least an acoustic guitar.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

mogwai

i play the guitar/bass/drums really badly.