another matrix thread (hot potato)

Started by sphinx, March 18, 2003, 06:31:10 PM

sphinx

just wanted to share some really, really amazing information about the Matrix RELOADED.

sphinx's note: spoilers ahoy, kiddies
swipe to read

sssswwiippppe
mainly featured in the matrix reloaded, there will be a white, neverending hallway with blue doors on both sides.  all doors lead to different places in the matrix, so theoretically you could access anywhere in the matrix just by using this hallway.  it's used just before the giant neo/agent smith(s) where all the smiths come pouring out of the door.  the hallway is also used in the live action game footage for 'enter the matrix' where niobe is being chased by an agent, and runs through the hallway.  really cool stuff.

more information to come...

Gold Trumpet

that idea sounds like a video gamers wet dream to me for some reason. I wish I could anticipate these movies more or find enjoyment within them, but serious Christ interpretations are way too off putting. This movie is trying to be too serious in its story and gets stomped to the ground by a movie like Dark City. Why can't it realize the ridiculousness of having a thousand plus number of bullets in it?

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhy can't it realize the ridiculousness of having a thousand plus number of bullets in it?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMichael Bay. Actually, I'm on quite good terms with him as a director . . . The absurdity in his movies can be a lot of fun.

Gold Trumpet

If you would have properly quoted me, you would have quoted me saying that when Michael Bay does try for the serious, the results are disastrous. The Rock was fun and playful with its story and action scene. Michael Bay needs to stick to movies like The Rock or even Con Air. Matrix does try to take itself too serious and bombs because of it.

~rougerum

Raikus

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMatrix does try to take itself too serious and bombs because of it.

I don't think "bombs" is the word you're looking for. Or if it is, the financial earnings and DVD sales certainly prove you wrong. As far as the content, it seems your view would be rather... unique.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

Yeah, but the Matrix does the cliche of all cliches in sci fi films that try to be serious, and thats when it gets down on its hands and knees and starts including scene after scene of a character explaining the rules of this given situation for this world and the given situation for this other part, but wait wait, then there are the rules for this situation of the sci fi world. At least in a movie like Minority Report, it explained the very pure basics and lets the rest just be a journey through great action and wonder. Stanley Kubrick, for 2001: A Space Odyssey, had all the rules for the zero gravity toilet made out in the most professional way but only used it as an unreadable item in a scene with little importance and could have been forged easily. If that was in the Matrix, one would have to wonder if a character would have actually gone into explanation of what to do and all. And if they did, how far?

~rougerum

Ghostboy

On the subject of the Matrix, the new Animatrix movie is pretty awesome; a very nice short action piece, very much in keeping with the established Matrix world. It's surprisingly downbeat, and it also has a very sexy sword fight. And as I'm one of the few people who loved the Final Fantasy movie, I was very happy to see that style of CGI in use again (I'm sure I'll get hell for that, though).

It's a shame that you'll have to pay to see Dreamcatcher to see it on the big screen; I encourage sneaking in.

picolas

Quote from: GhostboyOn the subject of the Matrix, the new Animatrix movie is pretty awesome; a very nice short action piece, very much in keeping with the established Matrix world. It's surprisingly downbeat, and it also has a very sexy sword fight. And as I'm one of the few people who loved the Final Fantasy movie, I was very happy to see that style of CGI in use again (I'm sure I'll get hell for that, though).

It's a shame that you'll have to pay to see Dreamcatcher to see it on the big screen; I encourage sneaking in.

how, m'aint i ask, did you see it?

Ghostboy

Dreamcatcher (coughdumbestmovieinalongtimecough) press screening.

sphinx

Quote from: GhostboyDreamcatcher (coughdumbestmovieinalongtimecough) press screening.

it currently has 0% at rottentomatoes and i don't expect that number to climb

conversely, i do expect the movie to make at least $50 million with the short attached

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyDreamcatcher (coughdumbestmovieinalongtimecough) press screening.

(coughthehuntedcough) So that means I'll like this.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

No...differences of opinion be damend, I don't think you'll like Dreamcatcher.

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYeah, but the Matrix does the cliche of all cliches in sci fi films that try to be serious, and thats when it gets down on its hands and knees and starts including scene after scene of a character explaining the rules of this given situation for this world and the given situation for this other part, but wait wait, then there are the rules for this situation of the sci fi world. At least in a movie like Minority Report, it explained the very pure basics and lets the rest just be a journey through great action and wonder.
~rougerum

i think the matrix is far more ambiguous that minority report. The one problem I had with MI is that it explains too much, especially during the final scene with john anderton and lamar.

budgie

GT, why do you want to be able to explain it all, can't you just open up to its world and take it on trust? Try sitting really near to the screen and not blinking till its over. Let it beat you senseless.

Also, you compare The Matrix to 2001, but hell it's 2003! And don't you think 2001 takes itself ever so seriously ...The Dawn of Man and all (suppresses a giggle)... there's a kind of irrepressible joy in that don't you think, when it's done with a real blast and energy?

Gold Trumpet

I don't mind a sci fi movie taking itself too seriously, just the relationship of a silly sci fi movie trying to be serious doesn't come off that well. And yes, there is a difference between 2001 and the Matrix.

Minority Report, in explaining things, is acting under the rules of the genre thriller of explaing more character motives and just what we need to know to understanding the world. If Minority Report was to act like the Matrix, it would stop and explain each thing before showing it, like the crawling things that search the building and the super highway that goes down the sides of buildings. For that, Minority Report leaves it alone and just goes for the wonder of what is seen. Its fine if you think it overexplains itself at the end, a lot of people do, but compared to all that is in the rest of the movie, it actually felt like a small detail to me.

~rougerum