Menace II Society?

Started by prophet, October 21, 2003, 10:54:57 PM

prophet

What are your thoughs on this movie?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Weak2ndAct

It's definitely my favorite from the barrage of 'hood movies from the early 90's.  And suprisingly well made too.    

It's shame the Brothers Hughes haven't topped their first film.  I like *parts* of Dead Presidents and From Hell, but they don't quite work.  Still though, American Pimp is pretty amusing.

MacGuffin

Better than "Boyz N The Hood". Dealt with issues and life in the hood with more depth. Owes a lot to "GoodFellas" and Scorsese though. O-Dog is as scary a character as Pesci's Tommy. And it's a damn fine Criterion laserdisc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

prophet

It created some cool line "What do you say about my mama?" "Man i said ill suck yo dick" "I got these cheese burgers man" yeah i loved it the first time i saw it it spaked dont be a menace to south central while drinking youyr juice in the hood
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Weak2ndAct

Fuck, yeah, that was one of the criterion LD's I wish I would have gotten (my LD's and the player were sold off).  Good stuff on there?

prophet

you can see the steadicam operator and the while lighting crew in the shop lifter mirrors in the lickerstore.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActGood stuff on there?

*Unrated directors' cut
*Directors' commentary (Albert on one track, Allen on another)
*Interviews with the Hughes Bros. discussing their film, its reception, its cultural context and their careers
*2 Deleted Scenes
*Music videos directed by The Hughes Bros. (2Pac's "Brenda's Got A Baby" and Raw Fusion's "Throw Your Hands In The Air")
*Hughes Bros. student film
*Storyboards and film comparison
*Production documentation
*Trailer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

when i was a kid, i thought the title was "menace II: society" and kept looking for menace I.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Weak2ndActGood stuff on there?

*Unrated directors' cut
*Directors' commentary (Albert on one track, Allen on another)
*Interviews with the Hughes Bros. discussing their film, its reception, its cultural context and their careers
*2 Deleted Scenes
*Music videos directed by The Hughes Bros.
*Hughes Bros. student film
*Storyboards and film comparison
*Production documentation
*Trailer

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.  Figures.  I'm sure New Line will get around to a spec. ed. dvd around the same time they put out 'Short Cuts'... which probably means never.

prophet

thats what i tought to. they were only 19 when they made that. its got a nice sound track.

oakmanc234

This movie is sooooo good. Under-rated as hell. From the opening SECOND onwards (New Line logo with cussing in the background "Ell no, get da fuck out my face, foo!") it involves you and carries you with it. I too think its better than 'Boyz In Da Hood' which was great but came off as a little corny in the drama scenes compared to 'Menace's rawness.
The Hughes Brothers follow-up 'Dead Presidents' is under-rated too. You even get the bonus of seeing funnyman Chris Tucker do a fine dramatic gig.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

prophet

boyz n the hood is nothing compared to MIIS i felt sorry for that kid when he got shot a few days before he was going to college, that really stunned me.

lamas

I used to love this and all the other "hood" movies of the early 90's.  Now I rewatch alot of them and think they're just so corny and stereotypical and awful.  The only one I still think is quality is Juice.  Menace is only worth watching for Saafir (cousin Harold) and MC Eiht (jeeeaaahhhhh).

Banky

ShanghaiOrange

Dennis the Phantom Menace II Dead Poets Society
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2