PTA Interview in Total Film, "Fighting Talk"

Started by ©brad, January 30, 2003, 12:51:13 PM

©brad

I love this, every time I've picked up a film magazine here in the UK there is an article about PTA. This is from an interview in the March 2003 issue, and its long and I'm tired and don't feel like typing everything, maybe later, but for now I will give the good quotes.

PTA: "I consider Punch-Drunk Love a bit of a sci-fi film. Wouldn't you say? Hopefuly it feels a little bit like another planet..."

"I can remember sometimes feeling like, on the set, more science-fiction, more outer space, you know? I guess that's how I meant it. Probably I don't even know what I meant, exactly...

"In Magnolia I can remember being physically exhausted and I can't even tell you where I was mentally. I showed some really maniacal, fucking insane behaviour on that movie and just lost my mind a little bit.

[On PDL] "I wanted to fuck myself up. I said: 'I wanna scare myself. What's really gonna challenge me? If you've got a three-hour movie and multiple stories, you can always cut to something else. But you can't really do that if it's one story, you know?

"So trying to get this movie done right was hard. We fucking struggled for the first two weeks. We all loved eachother and we were getting along but we didn't know what the hell we were doing. And then we got on a good track and it was smooth sailing from there. It was a great lesson. Sticking with something.

"Adam was just so nervous. He was like: 'Okay, well, you got nominated for Oscars. I'm just an arsehole. He's a great screamer is Adam and I thought it'd be great to do that with him cos I just liked it when I saw it in his movies, like in Happy Gilmore, you know?"

"I'd hate to think this looks like some kind of pattern or like stunt casting. It really does, I hope, come from who's best for the job right now. But yeah, you do factor in some of the realitites of where a certain star is in the world. It makes them more open to deal, more open to new things. Tom Cruise, for example, had just come from making Eyes Wide Shut. I think if he spent two years playing that character, of course he's gonna wanna come say 'cock, cunt, pussy' and get to burst into tears and do intimate scenes. That's juicy stuff for an actor.

Anderson is keeping schtum about what he has lined up next, although he reveals he's just come to our London liaison from a tour of both Pinewood and Shepperton studios. What he does make clear, though, is he's not far enough away from Hard Eight's studio hijacking to even consider doing Sam Raimi and becoming a blockbuster helmer-for-hire.

PTA:"I don't have a career plan so I can't say for sure but I don't think I have much interest in doing anything that I don't generate. I know Sam Raimi has a love of comic books and an interest in doing Spider-Man, but that's another level of working and making movies that I think is probably a bit more invasive than I could manage. But I'm still very young and there's a bunch of genres out there that I want to tackle.

TF: "Such as?"

PTA: "Every single one of 'em. I mean, if you said 'Western' I could go on for ages about Westerns. That'd be great. Or a good old-fashioned English period drama. And I'd love to make a fuckin' scary movie. Real terror movie. One that'd make you go: 'I'm going to see this to get scared. Something like that."

Duck Sauce

Great read, thanks again. Every single article I read, the more believable the out of space theory becomes. I hope PTA gets something going soon, there is nothing like anticipating one of his movies and I admire he eagerness to do different genres. I want him to do something 2001ish.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cbrad4dWhat he does make clear, though, is he's not far enough away from Hard Eight's studio hijacking to even consider doing Sam Raimi and becoming a blockbuster helmer-for-hire

:D

©brad