new short film completed

Started by Rudie Obias, July 22, 2003, 09:42:52 AM

Rudie Obias

my new short film is "in the can".  it's called THE RUNNER and it's 5 minutes long about a man running through a park.  my influences for this film were THE HOSTAGE (john woo), PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE (paul thomas anderson) and WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER (david wain).  it's shot on minidv and edited using imovie and adore premire.

maybe i'll send xixax.com a tape or dvd of my short films so my fellow film geeks can enjoy and bash it.

my 3 short films:
-LAUNDROMAT LAUNDROMAT
-THE RUNNER
-COOKING FOR TOMMY (the new film i'm working on)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Cecil

yes please do. id like to see them

TheVoiceOfNick

Sounds cool! I'd love to see it! Can't you just output to a file and post it? Pretty please? I wanna see it now.

Nick

Rudie Obias

i would but my computer sucks...
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Cecil

cant you send a copy of it to xixax?

mutinyco

One little tip...don't say your influences were other films. Movies shouldn't be your influence, otherwise they're about nothing more than themselves. Simply suggest that these films are similar to your work.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoOne little tip...don't say your influences were other films. Movies shouldn't be your influence, otherwise they're about nothing more than themselves. Simply suggest that these films are similar to your work.

...unless movies ARE your influences, which is in my case. And perhaps so here.

Yes, kudos rudieob. Let's see them on Xixax!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Yeah, I haven't seen your stuff. But generally speaking, I don't like movies based on other movies. I don't enjoy watching movies where I'm seeing lots of references and shot rip-offs. You should be as original as possible.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

there shouldn't be any should be's when it comes to that.  do what you wanna do........

(no offense mutinyco).......

mutinyco

I'm not making a dogmatic statement. I'm simply saying that it doesn't impress me when I see people ripping things off.

-St. Joe

Alethia

i know.  can we be friends??????

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoSimply suggest that these films are similar to your work.

That's worse than saying 'influenced'. Saying 'similar' suggests 'same'.

All films/filmmakers are influenced by other films. That's one of the reasons they hold screenings before production starts. It's the reason some members here ask about films that relate to story ideas they have. The term doesn't suggest ripping off; it's meant to be that certain films sparked ideas and creativity.

Sorry if this debate has dampered your celebration, rudieob. Completing a film is something to be proud of. Hope this tangent hasn't taken away from that. Best of luck with it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mutinycoMovies shouldn't be your influence.

Impossible.

ReelHotGames

Every filmmaker is influenced by other filmmakers and to say you aren't inspired or influenced by other films means your a liar, and we don't want that do we?

My web series was inspired by "Nashville" by Robert Altman and "Magnolia" by PTA, not that it has anything to do with country singers or sex gurus or cancer patients or mixed up assassins, nevertheless I drew inspration from these flicks.

Since this is the wax PTA's car board in general, watch the Magnolia diary he makes the crew watch Network and Ordinarry People for influence.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

mutinyco

Oh, I'm not saying I'm not influenced by other filmmakers. But that's during the absorbtion process -- watching other people's films. While I'm working on my own stuff the only thing I think with regard to other films is what they HAVEN'T done. I don't watch other movies during storyboarding or shooting. I intentionally do things I haven't seen elsewhere.

-St. Joe