Greg Kinnear

Started by Gloria, November 23, 2003, 04:33:54 PM

Gloria

I always get nervous when I start new threads; fear of redirect and lack of interest hangs over my head. Oh well, here goes:

I have always liked Greg Kinnear's supporting roles. He was awesome in 'As Good As It Gets' and 'Nurse Betty.'  I just saw a preview for the new Farrelly brothers film 'Stuck on You.'  I think it could be very funny, and finally he has the lead role, which he shares with Matt Damon.  I think he has a lot more to offer as his career progresses. I just thought he deserves some recognition.

Find Your Magali

No need to be nervous about new threads!

I agree that Kinnear was dandy in Nurse Betty. Just a great performance.

Liked him in Mystery Men, too...

Finn

I like him a lot too. Auto Focus was probably his best and most unlikeable performance of them all.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

Quote from: SydneyI like him a lot too. Auto Focus was probably his best and most unlikeable performance of them all.

Completely agreed. I never thought he was anything that special until that film.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

I liked him in As Good As It Gets and Nurse Betty. Roles that really made Kinnear's charm shine. Auto Focus was a role that he was born to play and it really proved his range as an actor. Since AF, I've looked forward to his projects.

molly

he looks like William H Macy's cooler brother.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mollyhe looks like William H Macy's cooler brother.

Well, I think Macy is cool enough, but yeah, Kinnear is great. I think his greatest performances were all mentioned: As Good As It Gets, Nurse Betty and Auto Focus (a film I need to see again). Oh, and also agree with Find Your Magali about Mystery Men, an underrated as fuck movie which made me laugh soooooooo much (and talk about Macy beeing cool  :wink:  )
Si

godardian

Yes, I actually think he is quite good-looking. Macy has "character," but Kinnear has charm... :-)

Anyone ever catch him on Talk Soup years ago? From humble beginnings...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Kinnear's little improv/slip of the tongue of "Thank you" and "You're welcome" in "You've Got Mail" always makes me laugh.

"Thank yur."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SydneyI like him a lot too. Auto Focus was probably his best and most unlikeable performance of them all.

Completely agreed. I never thought he was anything that special until that film.

Doubly agreed.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

Quote from: godardian

Yes, I actually think he is quite good-looking. Macy has "character," but Kinnear has charm... :-)

Anyone ever catch him on Talk Soup years ago? From humble beginnings...

I did, though very very few episodes, he was funny, actually I really liked that show although I saw it mostly with Henson as host which was so fucking funny, kind of like Conan, does anybody remembers when Henson made his tribute to SK when he passed away? Anyway, it was a parody of FMJ called Full Metal Intern, it was hilarious, I got it on tape.  :-D

Kal

Yeah I always though he had to get a leading role and I was happy when I saw the first trailer for this movie with Matt Damon, which by the way looks like its hilarious... I look forward to see it

edison

He was great in Loser.

oakmanc234

Yeah he did kick ass in 'Loser'. Actually, I cant think of anything I havent liked him in. He seems to be playing a lot of 'prick' roles to rundown his sweet & fragile 'As Good As It Gets' image though. Which is funny cause he plays both off wonderfully.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Kal

Quote from: EEz28He was great in Loser.

yeah I hated how annoying he was... stupid proffesor... he did it very well