Maurice Pialat

Started by wilder, September 26, 2015, 06:50:02 PM

Drenk

My fav:

L'enfance nue
Loulou
À nos amours
Van Gogh

L'amour existe is a fantastic short about the suburbs.
Ascension.

jenkins

I'd specifically recommend Loulou as a starting point for the uninitiated. Although you can't go wrong with Pialat. If you're the type of person who gladly suffers bleakness Under the Sun of Satan is there for you, and if you're not that type of person just avoid it

Alethia

Only seen three of those, eager to tear through the rest.

wilder

I don't know what happened with the dates, but they're all up there, now.

wilder

October 7, 2020

Le garçu (1995) on blu-ray from Gaumont (France). Includes English subtitles.

Antoine is four years old. His father Gerard leaves his mother Sophie. Gerard has several mistresses, but never knows how to leave them. Sophie takes a new lover, Jeannot.

Quote from: IMDB user conannzRegardless of whether one thinks it is an autobiographical film there are moments when the camera really does disappear and other times when you hope for the director to yell Cut! Depardieu as the father character seems at times, bemused, confused, very selfish and plain unlikeable as he tries to connect with his son who by contrast is oblivious and completely in the present as 4 year olds often are.

October 7, 2020

L'Enfance Nue (1968) on blu-ray from Gaumont (France). Includes English subtitles.

Michel Tarrazon plays the young François, a provincial orphan whose destructive behaviour precipitates his relocation from the home of a long-term foster family to the care of a benevolent elderly couple. In the course of this transition, Pialat's film presents the turbulence of François's unmoored existence, and his explosive reactions to the contradictory emotions it engenders. This is the naked portrait of a soul's — and an entire society's — dysfunction, before the moment of reconciliation.